How does your garden grow?

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
20240524_100923.jpg
A random flower that has come up all by itself in my nature garden, I think it's Geranium robertainum, it has taken up a good 20 inch circle under the back leg of the swing and I must say I am loving it. Its amazing what comes up in a garden when you just let stuff grow and don't cut the grass 🙂

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
View attachment 474245
A random flower that has come up all by itself in my nature garden, I think it's Geranium robertainum, it has taken up a good 20 inch circle under the back leg of the swing and I must say I am loving it. Its amazing what comes up in a garden when you just let stuff grow and don't cut the grass 🙂
That weed looks familiar 😉

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
In our case = mosquitoes.
I have enough spiders in my garden we don't get many flys tbh, bees and butterfly's moths yes but little flys tend to get stuck in the many orb weaver webs that fill the garden 😊 we have had about 6 little clutches already this year just out the back garden. Between those the wolf spiders, Tegenaria, Eratigena, Steatoda, Crab spiders, zebra jumpers, and Amaurobius to name a few the flys don't have much chance .

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
@Charliemum Lots of spiders are a boon. I'm not complaining about the mossies here. A friend in Sweden up near the top has fan traps around his property and once weighed the day's mossie take; 1/4 kg! And most of them evade the traps.
Memories of riding motorcycles up the highway to Alaska. Stopped to take a break around 22:00, sun still up. A fog was over a swamp next to us drifting our way. Then we realized it was mosquitoes. The world needs more boreal spiders.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Started with a single stick in the mail.
It took forever but the grove is growing.
Maybe five years. ?
That's so cool 😎 it's very pretty I should imagine having a grove/mini jungle of it will look amazing especially once it reaches 6 meters 😊

The Snark

Old Timer
Botanical war. 3/4 acre around a family friend's mother-in-law house who was emphatic she be left completely alone and undisturbed. The Wandering Jew moved north from a neat little bordering plant, the English Ivy was given the central area of 2 sides of the house, and the Sichuan bamboo along the driveway. Dial forwards 25 years. Jew vs Ivy heaps over 6 feet high with bamboo supports, and the discovery the bamboo can push it's way up through the tarmac driveway. Mom-in-law's house no longer visible for the impenetrable green tidal wave.
To add to the chaos was the growth harbored rats. Lots of rats. Seen everywhere as evening came on. Enter your truly and my introducing two rat snakes. It took them and their offspring about 3 years to dial the rat population down.

Last edited:

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Botanical war. 3/4 acre around a family friend's mother-in-law house who was emphatic she be left completely alone and undisturbed. The Wandering Jew moved north from a neat little bordering plant, the English Ivy was given the central area of 2 sides of the house, and the Sichuan bamboo along the driveway. Dial forwards 25 years. Jew vs Ivy heaps over 6 feet high with bamboo supports, and the discovery the bamboo can push it's way up through the tarmac driveway. Mom-in-law's house no longer visible for the impenetrable green tidal wave.
To add to the chaos was the growth harbored rats. Lots of rats. Seen everywhere as evening came on. Enter your truly and my introducing two rat snakes. It took them and their offspring about 3 years to dial the rat population down.
Apart from the rats that sounds cool a huge bamboo forest with hints of purple and green bet there are lots of spiders hidden in there 😊

The Snark

Old Timer
Apart from the rats that sounds cool a huge bamboo forest with hints of purple and green
After the mother in law passed on I got the job finding the house and returning the morass into a garden. The bamboo was a hopeless useless endeavor with zero chance of it not returning exponentially. See @DomGom TheFather pics of them sprouting like mushrooms after a spring rain then imagine them doing that right through the asphalt. Runner roots from hell. They grow near the surface and are pretty easy to yard out, but leave just one section of root................
Plus side, those weeks bush whacking prepped me for my first wildland fire fighting season. Endless dragging massive Jew Ivy wads around 250 feet to an open field

Is that an Azalea in the first pic?

Last edited:

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
This year our garden experiment was to try and grow pumpkins in pots. We have grown them before just in the ground but they were just generic pumpkins and it was about 6 years ago. This year my son wanted to try again we got 2 sp .
1 mini white called baby boo.
2 giant sp called Atlantic giant (I think)

The big ones haven't grown at all but we have now officially got 2 baby boo pumpkin plants with actual leaves...well 1 leaf 😆 20240529_123431.jpg
My little boy is extremely excited 😊 I will separate them soon and put them into the giant 60lt pots I have waiting for each plant. If anyone has pumpkin tips feel free to say, I am a total noob with gardening so all help is welcome 😊

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Hot crops!
petit gris de rennes and Nagasaki long.
IMG_20240602_104408635.jpg
IMG_20240602_104418767.jpg
I'm doing melons three ways.
Up strings, inside and out and straight on the ground.
We'll see.
IMG_20240602_105549115~2.jpg IMG_20240602_110126896.jpg IMG_20240602_110111810~2.jpg