How do you all remember tarantula names when everyone always shortens the genus?

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
@Leila this isn't a dig at you (that's the important stuff out of the way) @OliverWhatever Ive personally found the longer you're in the hobby the more familiar you become with species/genus whether abbreviated or the full name P regalis or P irminia this will become the norm. I have had issues in the past with H pulchripes and G pulchripes because they are side by side on a qwerty keyboard the other was S crassipes and H crassipes there as been crossed wires over these in the past

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If it is a spider I am interested in, I'll manage to remember it in most cases, but when someone drops "A.seemani" or "A.minatrix" in a casual conversation, I have no clue what they are talking about, even if I am familiar with the spider.
I'll look at some picture of a beautiful spider on the front page with an A, C, L, or T in front of a generic species name, and have no idea what it actually is.

From doing it a long time, it's not rocket science.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
Honestly, I just remember the most commons ones and the ones that I'm interested in...

Some of the more uncommon ones are still over my head.

One thing that I hate is the reclassification and the amount of absurd common names. It's almost like it doesn't even matter anymore.

Like the B Smithi name change and the C Versicolor....REALLY?

I just know what I want in my collection now anyways, I only use names when ordering them then they become Dan or Tanya or Lou when they get home. Haha. Of course I only really name my females and even then I only use their names when talking to my gf or documenting their molt dates or something of interest.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I'll look at some picture of a beautiful spider on the front page with an A, C, L, or T in front of a generic species name, and have no idea what it actually is.
I know for a variety of species that interest me. Otherwise, if I don't figure it out from the context, I Google.

That's why I try to use the full name in my post before using any abbreviations.

creepa

Arachnoknight
If your in the hobby long enough you know what they are... (at least i do.)
I most of the time can guess the genera because i am a nerd like that.:pompous::bookworm:

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
@Leila this isn't a dig at you (that's the important stuff out of the way) @OliverWhatever Ive personally found the longer you're in the hobby the more familiar you become with species/genus whether abbreviated or the full name P regalis or P irminia this will become the norm. I have had issues in the past with H pulchripes and G pulchripes because they are side by side on a qwerty keyboard the other was S crassipes and H crassipes there as been crossed wires over these in the past
Wait so, the more experience you have, the better?:p

cold blood

Staff member
just the same way you find your way around a new city...or the way you learn a new language, or the way you learn how to drive a manual....repetition. The more you see and use the terms, the more you remember.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I originally only learned the names of the ones I had (and their shortened forms).
Then, I started remembering common ones mentioned on the boards.
Then I started learning about less common ones people would post about -- the 'dream' Ts.
I doubt I could ever learn them all -- there are vast numbers of Ts in the world, plus some get reclassified.
I get by. And if all else fails... google.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Time is your ally when learning the scientific names. Took me like 5 years as a kid to memorize 600 or so pokemon names. I'm sure you guys can handle it now.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Lots of practice lol. Ive drooled over, researched, and owned, countless sp so it kind of becomes 2nd language after a while.
Im lost as can be with common names tho

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Best example is when people use the name "E. sp."

That literally is only meaningful to a tarantula hobbyist because we see it so frequently that we just know what it means. Still bugs me, but I'm adapting:sour:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Best example is when people use the name "E. sp."

That literally is only meaningful to a tarantula hobbyist because we see it so frequently that we just know what it means. Still bugs me, but I'm adapting:sour:
Why does that bug you?