How did you guys get into scorpions?

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
For me it was thrust upon me...

It was about 2 years ago. There was this 16yr old I was friends with, and his parents said no way he was going to get a T, so he brings home an emperor instead. His mom and dad freaked, his dad took the tank and put it outside (no lid, crushed walnut shell sub, no hide, no water, late August mid 0°C/30°F that night) and was going to shoot it next day. This kid called me and asked if I wanted it, I never planned to own one and new nothing about keeping them, so I said sure... ;)

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I got into scorps because very few (especially here in the US) was very serious about them. While there were many working and trying to breed Ts, scorps were seldom bred here so I took the path of a different drummer as always and started working with scorps. Glad I did too. Its been a fun ride LOL

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Me and my brother got started about 9 years ago, stop once he went off to college and now we are starting up again, this time almost strictly scorpions.

I wasn't too big into inverts back in the day but now breeding has really sparked my intrest ;P ;P

chaoshybrid6

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
One of my friends was into snakes and one day he decided to get an emperor, and soon after it died but I thought it was the most fascinating little critter. When the time was right I got an emperor, and almost 2 years later I have 11 scorps and 3 tarantulas. Thats my story lol.

dogeatdog

Arachnopeon
I got into scorpions when i had to do a huge biology project on any insect/animal, so i picked scorpions, bought an emperor scorpion to use in my presentation, and i still have my emp here with me :D

HufnPuf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i just like big bugs...my first was an African Millipede...i was homeless for awhile and didnt have the means to have a pet but i really wanted an Emperor Scorp for a long time...i finally got stable enough to be responsible for another creature and the Emp was the first pet i've had since the millepede-almost 7 years ago...i love my little Pinchy's. :)

SgrigS

Arachnopeon
I learned it from watching YOU dad!! No really, I keep reef tanks, and I just love the underwater inverts. So i figured above water inverts were just as cool. And are NOT as hard to take care of!!!

Metallicaman999

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
it was about a year ago when me and a friend were talking about pets and he came up with the idea of keeping a scorpion, he said they were cool but his parents didnt allo whim to get one. the same day i researched scorpions for about two hours and fell in love with them.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well Aztek already knows how Durango, Mex. is like. There crawling with scorps over there. SO much so that they kill them and make them into soveneirs. But I know where my grandma used to live there was a lot just in her back yard. She used to just pick them up and put them in a jar. When I would visit her She would show me the jar and she told me that the scorpions went for months without dying. She of course wouldn't feed them she just didn't have the heart to stomp on them like anyone else would. Since that day 14 years ago when I was just four I've been fasinated with scorpions and I got my first emp at the age of 13.

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Jared Deily.
{D ;P :} :D {D {D {D

For me it was when an older friend of mine started talking about how he bred Ts and scorps. I started looking into them and the first one I actually really liked was C. gracilis. I saw a picture of one on the old proboards VenomList. I fell in love and researched and researched. Sadly it was another 4 months when that friend came to visit and pressured my mom into letting me get an emp. And then another 3 more months after that that I went to a show and got some C. sculpturatus.

voldemort

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
it was a gift for myself when i pass the board exams.

now i have a lot of them, it was really love at first sight.{D {D {D

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
When I popped out over 40 years ago, I already had a jar in my hand! I can't remember not liking inverts and herps. I kept my first herps when I was around 4 or 5 living in Houston Tx. Earth snakes and Ground skinks was what I was catching. The people across the street had Cottonwood Borer beetles at the base of a tree and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw them. And some other guy across the street would catch Garter snakes. I got mad because he wouldn't tell me where he was catching them, ha, I was prob 5 years old. I remember big Swallowtail butterfly caterpillars on a tree down the street. Me and a friend of mine would go catch'em. That's where it all started, in Houston. Then when I was 7 years old, we moved to Bryan. That's when I caught my first Ts, pouring water down their holes. I think I was probably 9 when I saw my first C. vittatus scorp. Funny, my dad never liked any of this stuff. I remember he went and got some hot water and dropped the scorpion he found by his house in the hot water and I remember feeling sorry for it. I first saw my first Emps in the stores in the late 70's when I was teenager, maybe 1980. Parents didn't like it but didn't say "no". $30 back then. So now I've been getting in and out of the hobby over the years. Always been a hobby though, never did get as serious about it as some people on this forum have. I don't know though, some people might call me "serious", just a point of few I guess. Never did get hard core tech about it. The curious thing about it all to me has mostly been "behavior".

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
for me it was like 2years ago.. i was picking up some t's from chris @ krazy8's and he said hey i got these...and i was hooked ever since ,lol

Jaffster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
About 3 years ago I used to work with someone who kept Scorpions, told me all about them in work and I was fascinated.

We popped by his one day on our dinner hour and I fell in love with them.

Even though I wasn't allowed to keep any, I waited 2 years until that changed and now I'm even more in love!

Uroctonus

Arachnopeon
I'd been collecting bugs since I was a little kid, and about 9 years ago someone mailed me a scorpion they had caught, after that I started reading all I could about them, buying books and buying/collecting scorpions when I got the chance.

tedangelochua

Arachnopeon
I started late May with 4 heterometrus longimanus slings. Sadly, being the ignorant newbie that I was, all 4 of them died of dehydration. Well, I placed the 4 2nd instars in a 20-gallon aquarium without a lid. haha:? Fast forward 2 1/2 months, I now have more or less 13 species with a grand total of 50+ slings :D