How common is it for an Avic to molt on the ground? - UPDATE: She has passed.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Well, she's still on the ground and clinging around her water dish but she is still alive and responsive, but obviously still very sluggish. I dribbled some water on the sub in front of her in case she is injured and needed a drink (even though she's right on the water dish). Not much else I can do at this point. I just really hope she's late pre-molt and was too tired to get back up to her web or something. I still don't see any sign of injury but that doesn't mean there isn't something internal. Hope she pulls through. She was my 2nd tarantula I got.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Well, she's still on the ground and clinging around her water dish but she is still alive and responsive, but obviously still very sluggish. I dribbled some water on the sub in front of her in case she is injured and needed a drink (even though she's right on the water dish). Not much else I can do at this point. I just really hope she's late pre-molt and was too tired to get back up to her web or something. I still don't see any sign of injury but that doesn't mean there isn't something internal. Hope she pulls through. She was my 2nd tarantula I got.
Damn I just PM'd you to see how she is doing.. I'm Sorry to hear that she is still on the cage floor.. I really hope she pulls through for you man..

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Still curled around the bowl, though in a bit different position. Still responsive but very sluggish. Sigh, if she is dying I just hope it doesn't last too long so she isn't suffering too much.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Does she appear to be drinking? Hang in there friend!
I honestly can't tell, but her abdomen seems fine and is a decent size. I've dribbled water in front of her a few times just in case. She's moved a little and is right next to the bowl now. She's balled up and a little curled, but her legs aren't curled up like a full on death curl. Feel so powerless just sitting around and waiting but I know there isn't much I can do.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Well, it happened. Just got home and she has passed away. Examined her and still can't find anything specific that caused this so it must have been something internal...either an illness or a fall and internal injuries. She had been fine up until the last week. Buried her out in the back yard. Yes, I buried my tarantula, don't give me too much grief...I only had 12 and she was my 2nd one. Goodbye Harley.

harley-final.jpg

CakeLore

Arachnosquire
I wonder if it was internal injuries from a fall. Regardless, I'm sorry for your loss. And FWIW I don't think it's weird you buried her, I've had my chaco for 3 years and she'll hopefully be around for another 30. I love her just as much as any of my other pets and she'll get a little spot in the yard too, when it's her time.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm sorry for your loss she was a beauty that's for sure. 1 thing that bug's me about this hobby is not knowing why a seemingly health animal dies suddenly.
Listen man if you want to lay your pet to rest in your backyard then good for you some people mount them. Myself I add any to the garden waste ie grass clippings, hedge trimmings etc as a way of putting something back into the earth to breath life into something new so to speak and I'm comfortable with that and if having your pet close by brings at little peace for you then good on you friend

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm so sorry she didn't make it ):Unexplained deaths are so hard to come to terms with. And there is nothing wrong with burying her
❤

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I'm really sorry man.. She looks like she was in great shape so don't beat yourself up over it..

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
You're entitled to say goodbye to your T in any way you like, whether it is mounting, burial, or take it to bed with you. If that helps with dealing with the grief, than that is what you need to do. Sorry to hear she didn't make it. :(

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Well, it happened. Just got home and she has passed away. Examined her and still can't find anything specific that caused this so it must have been something internal...either an illness or a fall and internal injuries. She had been fine up until the last week. Buried her out in the back yard. Yes, I buried my tarantula, don't give me too much grief...I only had 12 and she was my 2nd one. Goodbye Harley.

View attachment 223430
You put your baby to rest the way YOU need to have it. I am so sorry for you I've got tears. She was beautiful and looked very well cared for.

basin79

ArachnoGod
That's a massive shame. Not only is it incredibly sad losing a T it's also incredibly frustrating.

Zero wrong with burying her. You're putting back nutrients back into the earth.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Sorry for your loss. And I will bury mine when they die as well. I currently don't have any arboreal T's that large yet, but it makes me think about whether I want to add some additional plastic plants glued to the walls down lower to break any possible fall since molts will make them more clumsy.