How can I talk my mom into letting me get a centipede?

intrepidus6

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am really wanting to get a centipede. I don't know what kind yet, I'm still researching into them.
But, my emporer scorpion and my milipede (I don't remember what kind of milipede it was, I found her near a creek) recentaly died, and I have two rats that I am going to give away soon.
That's four less pets, and my mom just won't agree to a centipede. It's nothing against them being venomous or because they are bugs or anything, she just dosen't want anymore pets.
I'm trying to show her that this is four less pets, so that would be like haveing 3 less, but she just won't agree. :mad:
What can I do to talk her into letting me get a centipede?

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What state do you live in?

If you live in the south, I doubt she'd say no to something native.

Either way, my S. polymorpha can be kept in gladware containers.

intrepidus6

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I live in Virginia, but I've never seen any centipedes in the wild here before.

It's not a matter of space or anything, she dosen't care if it's a gerbil, snake, centipede, whatever. She just dosen't want anymore pets, even though in all this makes the number of pets we have go down...

dazbuzz

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my mums exactly the same all i do is consantly moan that if she lets me have a pede then i promise i will never have another pet while in that house.{D

i've got her from "those things are horrible" to "i'll think about it" thats quite a change in heart i would say haha:}

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I hate to say it, if you're living under her roof, its her rules. I didn't get tarantulas or any invertebrates until I moved out. I don't know if there is any magic argument that will make her change her mind, but good luck in finding it.

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i hate to say it but i agree...give it some time and maybe she would come around...my mother would never eer be ok with the animals i keep but i don't live at home so its not an issue...if you show her that you respect her decisions and act appropriatly about ehr decision then she may decide you are mature enough to handle more animals... but i would say leave her alone about it for a bit then try again...

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
you could give her a lot of compliments, moms like that:} , or drive her to pet stores until she breaks down and enjoys pets more.

Or show her your extra responsible with the pets you have left and that they are taken care of without much work from her, I htink that is one of the top concerns with moms is they think they are going to have take care of the pets on top the other things she has to do. Unless she plain dosen't like animals then it will be harder to convince her.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i agree with your mum :embarrassed: :embarrassed: no no no to centipedes but then what do i know any way :8o :8o :8o ;) == phil

bengerno

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi,

Just take one home, and be a good owner. She won't say "TAke it back!", If she see your enthusiasm. (Better than hang with a gang ;) ).

PS: My mom said when I took home my first tarantula: "My boy, you are not normal!". After more than 10 years she is my biggest "supporter", and also breeds roaches for me! :D

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
you could try and pay her off.........{D
that is actually a really good idea!

ask her what chores or services you could provide that would let you get a centipede. she might make it something unreasonable like painting the house... but then again, if she asks for something that only takes 5 hours to do it will really demonstrate to her how much you do or don't want it depending on how you handle it

plus.... your mom gets some work out of you =P

rm90

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I hate to say it, if you're living under her roof, its her rules. I didn't get tarantulas or any invertebrates until I moved out. I don't know if there is any magic argument that will make her change her mind, but good luck in finding it.
He never said he was going to go against her rules and get something she didn't want. He wanted to convince her to LET him get one.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The way I convinced my parents to let me keep bugs was to literally drag them down to arachnocon.

And now...look at my profile :)

konrad16660

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
dont get somthing overly poisonous and then cage it wel. let your mom know all about it and that way she knows your educated about it:) good luck

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd start out with something native. S. heros is usually what I reccomend. Mine from last year is barely pushing 2.5". It should grow to around 7 or 8.

Who knows...if it's small, then maybe she'll see things differently.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
He never said he was going to go against her rules and get something she didn't want. He wanted to convince her to LET him get one.
She said she wants no more pets, and he wants a pet. Thats going against her wish. :wall:

dazbuzz

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my mum was less than happy when she said yes to my emperor scorpions but now she loves them and now i want a centipede she is almost always saying no! but i have made alot of progress in convincing her mostly by giving her information on them and reminding her everyday that i want a pede. BTW thanks for the posts on a thread of mine it realy got me some points hehe{D

Bulldog08

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm still trying to get my wife to let me get one... maybe I'll just hide it in her shoe closet ;). Just keep up the presure on your mom and she will cave in I bet.

intrepidus6

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think I'll just save up my drug money and use it to just buy a centipede. I did that with my emp and she didn't say "take it back!!!" or anything like that... she was kinda pissed but not to that point.
The only problem is I would have to order one online, as I don't know of any pet store around here that sells pedes, and I don't have a credit card... oh well I'll think of something, haha.