House spiders.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
You should note your siting on ispot.org.za. Would be a nice record to have seen as they have never been seen here before other than by yourself.
In science you really have to exclude broad assumptions.

That statement would be more accurate if it was "Would be a nice record to have seen as they have never been seen by anyone I know of or heard about other than by yourself.

Gotta stop acting like you have some type of South African omniscience lol.

The spiders I saw could have come in luggage that someone stored in their garage, it happens all the time. This guys spider could have come on a the underside of a shipping crate, crawled off onto someones truck, who drove by his residence where the spider ballooned off.

Synanthropic cosmopolitan spiders like the "Common house spider" constantly show up in new places. Sometimes they establish for a season, sometimes they don't, sometimes they establish permanently. You're trying to paint something as black and white that absolutely will never be black or white, but always somewhere in between.

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You obviously have no idea of my involvement in the South African true spider community, so lets just leave it at that, lol. :)
I have sent your claim to the top 3 South African arachnologists and they are very interested in your sighting, so could you please post your sighting on ispot? According to them it is all a first, so would be a great record to have.
Thanks. :)

JohananV

Arachnopeon
friendttyy-I live in Richards Bay, South Africa. And, I have kept several House spiders. Most of them have been various species of Steatoda. But, they are definitely worthwhile pets. If you have caught a fully-grown Theridiid female, the chances are that she is already gravid. ALL of the WC female Theridiids that I have kept produced egg sacks. Once you have that first brood of slings, you will realize just how rewarding it is to keep them. All the best with your spiders. And, if you need any further advice, don't hesitate to ask.

MelissaDBrown

Arachnosquire
I found a house spider recently and I caught it just now. The palps are huge and it looks like there is a third appendage up there and it's not a leg. What is that?

JohananV

Arachnopeon
Any chance of a photo? At the very least, we'd probably need a description of the appendage. :) I'd love to help, though. friendttyy- I'll be waiting for those photos.

JohananV

Arachnopeon
I feel your pain. Collected a very swollen female on Sunday, which I suspected was gravid, then she molted on Tuesday. :-(

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Won't be too long ... I hope.One suspected gravid female moled :mad::fury::wall:
She was obviously not mature yet if she moulted. A pic would help to ID the species and then we can see at what size they have their final moult at.

MelissaDBrown

Arachnosquire
Any chance of a photo? At the very least, we'd probably need a description of the appendage. :) I'd love to help, though. friendttyy- I'll be waiting for those photos.
I will try to get you a picture. The body is like a widow: larger abdomen and fine, slender legs, dark brown with some light brown markings on abdomen