1. Important Announcement - Upcoming Downtime - Software Upgrade

Please see here for more details.
Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

House spiders.

Discussion in 'Other Spiders & Arachnids' started by friendttyy, Jul 20, 2013.

1. friendttyy

friendttyy Arachnolord

Advertisement
    AHA ALMOST like that

2. friendttyy

friendttyy Arachnolord

h.s.jpg 《is that good enough?> 20130816_201352.jpg

3. Tengenaria and jumpers are the best "common" spider pets in my opinion.

4. Ciphor

Ciphor Arachnoprince

5. friendttyy

friendttyy Arachnolord

these were the best i could do.

---------- Post added 08-17-2013 at 08:35 AM ----------

looks like it is a Steatoda triangulosa any advice on them?

6. Triangulosa are very easy to keep, and breed. I once raised a sling, that hatched from an eggsac my female had laid, all the way to it's penultimate moult in a glass vial. They don't need a lot of space, but I don't suggest glass vials, that was merely due to space constraints. They do appreciate some depth in their containers, and some anchorpoints for their webs. They're not picky feeders, but they don't do well with food that's too "buzzy" like blowflies. I had good results with fruit flies, mosquitoes, and even woodlice. It is very humid here, so the moisture that mine ingested through their food was enough; but if you live in a dry area you'll probably want to mist their web once a week. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

All the best,
    Johanan

7. friendttyy

friendttyy Arachnolord

Ok thanks johan!Ijust wanna know if i NEED a male to breed the females.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Technically spoken, if you want to breed the spiders you will require a mature male and a mature female. But, if you are more interested in hatching the eggs and raising the slings, you can get away with catching a gravid female. More often than not, if you catch an adult female, the spider will already be gravid. If you want to observe courtship, and mating, behavior; or you want to breed that female that molted; you will need to track down a mature male. Whereabouts are you located? I have a Steatoda triangulosa male(I think, ID still needs confirming) that I would gladly give to you if you want him....

9. friendttyy

friendttyy Arachnolord

I am in bredell area and THAT IS FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR away to where you are bredell is in gauteng.

10. Oh, that's too bad... How are your little gals doing?

11. friendttyy

friendttyy Arachnolord

They are quite good actually and one is probably gravid because She is FAT and neva ate since I had her.

12. friendttyy

friendttyy Arachnolord

[video=youtube;GYcuGJpt5ow]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYcuGJpt5ow[/video]

13. friendttyy

friendttyy Arachnolord

She laid today woohoooooooo

14. friendttyy

friendttyy Arachnolord

Well i took the sac away from her as JohanV recommended in a PM.Fingers crossed the sac is currently on top of a moist paper towel and is kept a 80% to 90% humidity.

15. Ciphor

Ciphor Arachnoprince

For 99% of spiders, yes, you need a male. Steatoda triangulosa is a rare spider indeed, they are completely capable of asexual reproduction. They only need their DNA, and the females basically clone themselves. It is not uncommon, and they can found in homes with only females present (the clones are all female).

16. friendttyy

friendttyy Arachnolord

Meaning i might only get females if the female never mated?

17. The Snark

The Snark Dumpster Fire of the Gods Old Timer

Always. That's the way with asexual reproduction, be it plant or animal.

18. friendttyy

friendttyy Arachnolord

cool it is better than nothing

19. friendttyy

friendttyy Arachnolord

I thought i had posted this before but i never. So my female dropped another sac and my other sac produced 8 slings.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.