Homoeomma chilensis prices

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Good on ya @FloridaTGuy for thinking of way to introduce moderately priced Ts. For the record, if you bought some at wholesale and passed the savings on I’d probably grab one from you if I could afford it at the time.

$250 is a lot of money and I wouldn’t pay it for an H chillensis, but it isn’t overpriced. It’s market value. Don’t blame the people trying to get the most from their sales, blame the people that are chomping at the bit to throw down $250 for the first specimen they see. Those are the people that set the market price.

FloridaTGuy

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it. I don't know how it's gonna work out but it looks like I'll essentially be get a mix of 1" 2" and 3" Ts for an average of 130 each.

asunshinefix

Arachnosquire
I'm in Canada, and I paid $140 for a 1.75" confirmed female H. chilensis. $250 seems steep unless it's a big female.

comet zero

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it. I don't know how it's gonna work out but it looks like I'll essentially be get a mix of 1" 2" and 3" Ts for an average of 130 each.
i'll totally grab one from you if you do get them!! best of luck, thanks for all you're doing for the hobby and this species :D

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
And I understand that. But, the truth is the money isn't the issue, nor is the time. This is a very sought after species, and a beautiful and curious one at that. My thinking is more this... if I can get wholesale prices while getting a couple dream tarantulas, while also helping other people get there's at a cheaper price, why shouldn't I?

I know people want them, but don't want to pay ridiculous prices. I could potentially drop the price per sling by buying wholesale, and simultaneously bring a new generation of spiders in for breeding. I just want this species to be prevalent in the hobby, because I do believe it's one of the cooler species around, even if that's just my opinion.

I don't know, I have the money, and I have the time. I feel like maybe this is something that's worth it to me, but I completely understand where you're coming from and I appreciate all the feedback you have posted. This really is an amazing community to be a part of.

This is one of the best and unique species out there- def should be bred.

If you come across slings let me know.

Porrhothele

Arachnopeon
Now I wonder if mine is actually an H. chilensis. I bought it for $40 at a pet store. I never knew they were so expensive!

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Now I wonder if mine is actually an H. chilensis. I bought it for $40 at a pet store. I never knew they were so expensive!
Sometimes you can find a hell of a deal at a pet store. They frequently don't know the first thing about pricing when it comes to Ts.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Sometimes you can find a hell of a deal at a pet store. They frequently don't know the first thing about pricing when it comes to Ts.
Very true. You can expect to pay 50 euro for a B.albopilosum or 15 for a G.iheringi. Not that I buy from pet stores anymore after I saw the deplorable conditions they kept their animals in.. :confused:

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Welcome to the US, where all reputable sellers are those that inflates prices 200% of what they're worth. While the local breeders get no attention trying to sell off those T.'s that are way cheaper, so they sell to those overpriced reputable sellers in wholesale. :bag:

From what I can say, blame reputable sellers for inflation and overpriced T.'s. Which is why I thank the boards for having cheap prices from actual breeders instead of those overpriced reputable sellers who buy wholesale from those breeders. Pricing in the US is certainly isn't fixated right when it comes to females or certain species. So in conclusion: local/small breeder equals cheaper price. Reputable/popular seller equals inflated prices. :troll:

Hate me if you want, but I can assure you the highest price for most T.'s are those reputable sellers. It's like they have a VIP bonus charge, since they are reputable. It's understandable why they would be reputable, but overpricing isn't understandable, especially if they have such great business. :rolleyes:
Without those businesses that you claim are price gauging you wouldn't have any new species in the U.S. hobby as it's not very practical for individuals to get an import licence and pay the import fees and international shipping for the small number of inverts they'd be looking to import

I remember when P. Metallica were $500 for a sling, but then after a year or two of successful breeding (mainly by those sellers you are so against) the prices dropped significantly.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Without those businesses that you claim are price gauging you wouldn't have any new species in the U.S. hobby as it's not very practical for individuals to get an import licence and pay the import fees and international shipping for the small number of inverts they'd be looking to import

I remember when P. Metallica were $500 for a sling, but then after a year or two of successful breeding (mainly by those sellers you are so against) the prices dropped significantly.
I wasn't talking about New species in the hobby, as it's reasonable then for high pricing. But I'm talking about the majority of T.'s that has this inflation issue. I wouldn't want to pay $15-$20 for an LP sling, especially how big their numbers are and the availability in this hobby. I mean let's be fair, it's not right to charge $15-$20 for an LP sling or an B. albo sling despite them being in the hobby for over 20 years with such a high established number in the hobby. It's good marketing to charge highly of a new species in the hobby, but it's not good marketing to keep a majority of T. prices inflated that are established well in the hobby for 10+ years. I mean would anyone want to buy an LP sling for $15-$20 when they are at least 50%-75% worth less than that??

cold blood

Staff member
And I understand that. But, the truth is the money isn't the issue, nor is the time. This
And here is why people are charging outrageous prices.... because so many people just don't care how expensive they are. When I first joined AB like 5 years ago, slings were 10 bucks a pop, adult females were 50 to 60.

Now with recent popularity, prices exploded, the price on an otherwise mundane and inexpensive animal has literally gone through the roof of the crazy house. They are cool yes, but they're not a tarantula I would consider especially beautiful or stunning, or even rare. With current prices I could win the lottery three times and I still would never pay what people are currently asking.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
And here is why people are charging outrageous prices.... because so many people just don't care how expensive they are. When I first joined AB like 5 years ago, slings were 10 bucks a pop, adult females were 50 to 60.

Now with recent popularity, prices exploded, the price on an otherwise mundane and inexpensive animal has literally gone through the roof of the crazy house. They are cool yes, but they're not a tarantula I would consider especially beautiful or stunning, or even rare. With current prices I could win the lottery three times and I still would never pay what people are currently asking.
I see that trend happening here as well. C.versicolor sling, 2nd instar was like 6 euros, now they go for 18 or more. Gbb same thing.
It's not as outrageous as across the pond, but popularity is having its effect here too.

Also, this idea of 'anything for the hobby, right!?' is mildly disgusting. No, it's not everything for the hobby and money is a very big issue. I rather pay my husbands meds than buy a precious new species.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
This is one of the best and unique species out there- def should be bred.

If you come across slings let me know.
Apparently, Michael Senf here in Germany has hatched a new sac. He's got slings (5th instar) for 29€ (or 5 for 135€). I don't know when you'll be in Germany the next time, but if you'd like to contact him, I could pm you his email address. :)

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
So, what is everyone selling them for now? Because I know that none have been available in Canada for a couple of years.
All these egg sacs and pairings that people said took place - how many were successful, because I am not seeing any on European sellers sites either?

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I haven't seen slings (let alone females) in ages, basically not since my last post from last year. Although, there is the occasional mature male that goes for about 40 €.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
This thread did NOT mature well. Not much in the US at ALL either. That's 0/3! I RARELY see them (ofcourse we don't all view the same material) and when I do they are stiill super expensive and sold out!

Last edited:

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
The last ones I saw were a few months ago but were imports and went fast. Would be curious as well if anyone is breeding them yet.

Tigger

Arachnopeon
I picked up three CB slings about three months ago for £20 each. For reference, that's cheaper than G. Pulchra.
This one molted last week so it can now be seen with the naked eye.

H. Chilensis.jpeg