Holding A. geniculata -- BAD IDEA!

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I decided to gather up some guts and try holding Striker, my A. geniculata.

No aggression at all!

(BAD IDEA -- because it made me realize that I should have done it a long time ago! Of course I probably won't do it on a regular basis, as the thing is kind of heavy, and I'd hate to see what would happen if it fell.)

;P

Jon

;P

Last edited:

Beth-Tex

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What a beautiful spider!:D

AND.......

I commend your courage!:) (shiver)

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What a Beauty!

And Yay for you!

Congrates on the happy holding. )

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Beth-Tex
What a beautiful spider!:D

AND.......

I commend your courage!:) (shiver)
Well, it wasn't actually courage.

The reason that A. genics get a bad rap, has to do with the fact that they are so hungry, not because they hate you -- like the Usambara does.

Mine's main defense is hair flicking -- which it LOVES to do. However, it did strike at me once when it was smaller. I went to brush its hind legs and it did a corkscrew back flip and tapped me with its front legs or pedipalps and pulled right away. No bite. Needless to say, I made one of the strangest sounds ever heard by another person. It was probably just hungry. But it realized quickly that I wasn't good tarantula food.

However, mine hasn't eaten in a long tiime, even though I have been trying to feed it. So either it is just full (look at its abdomen) or it is getting ready to molt (look at its abdomen). Either way, I felt that it didn't pose any real threat aside from its hairs, so I gave it a try. I put the lid of my terrarium in so that it could climb it like a ramp. I coaxed it up and onto my hand. Piece of cake!

Jon

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
not because they hate you -- like the Usambara does.
LMAO!!
our orange demon hates EVERYTHING.

I made one of the strangest sounds ever heard by another person.
I've made more then my share of those..

But I think AEEEEEEERK??

Is my favorite....

And that is usualy heard during encounters with the before mentioned demon orange bitch...

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey,
Congradulations on the accomplishment, and that's a great picture. And I agree with beth-tex; i think A. geniculatas are beautiful as well. I'd like to get one sometime down the road.
Paul

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
oooo thats gorgeous cant wait for nova to get big shes 2 inches now and ive had no problems so far from handlering her other then she can really b hyper and dash forward fast now and again which can b quite frightening even tho shes 2 inches :D but shes never thrown hairs or reered up at me i love her to bits =D

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My A. Genic is not aggressive at all either. In fact, the only T that I can really call aggressive is my H. Lividium. My big rosie, Betty, can be not nice sometimes, but she calms down a bit after she's been out of her house for a while. If I thouch her precious dirt or plastic plant, she becomes a brown fuzzy raging demon. I've handled my genic a few times, but I don't like to often because her hairs make me itch terribly. She's a look but don't touch tarantula most of the time. You should also know by now that I have to include a pic. :)

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
oo pate shes gorgeous heres nova sorry about the blur >_< but cant keep a steady hand will try to get some good 1s 2morro poop sec ill resize it

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I love mine!

He is so cool....but he's got an attitude on him.
I love this pic....Zhizhu eating a mouse that my snake didn't want one time.
He's STILL fat from it, and it's been a few months LOL

Last edited:

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
he died about a month ago during his ultimate moult. it was very, very sad. he was my favorite, and all or the kids in my daughter's class wrote us a sympathy card since bela (the a. genic) was their favorite, too.

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by krystal
he died about a month ago during his ultimate moult. it was very, very sad. he was my favorite, and all or the kids in my daughter's class wrote us a sympathy card since bela (the a. genic) was their favorite, too.
aww sorry to hear :(

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Did you prekill the mouse?

---

I'm more afraid of hair than I am of biting. That hair can drive you nuts...

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by pategirl
My A. Genic is not aggressive at all either. In fact, the only T that I can really call aggressive is my H. Lividium. My big rosie, Betty, can be not nice sometimes, but she calms down a bit after she's been out of her house for a while. If I thouch her precious dirt or plastic plant, she becomes a brown fuzzy raging demon. I've handled my genic a few times, but I don't like to often because her hairs make me itch terribly. She's a look but don't touch tarantula most of the time. You should also know by now that I have to include a pic. :)
Hey, your genic is beautiful. How large is it?

Jon