Hobby???

basin79

ArachnoGod
Is it just me that absolutely hates the term hobby when referring to keeping T's?

There just seems something fundamentally wrong to me with keeping living animals and referring to that as a hobby.

Stamp collecting is a hobby. Train spotting is a hobby. Caring for a living animal isn't. To me.

Well that's it. I've let off a tadicum of steam.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Is it just me that absolutely hates the term hobby when referring to keeping T's?

There just seems something fundamentally wrong to me with keeping living animals and referring to that as a hobby.

Stamp collecting is a hobby. Train spotting is a hobby. Caring for a living animal isn't. To me.

Well that's it. I've let off a tadicum of stream.
I don't necessarily hate the term, but I completely understand where you're coming from. I've also thought that everyone on here that refers to it as a hobby, but treats them as if they're their on own kids, is a little ironic. At the same time though, the care for a T and T's themselves are so simple, I can understand how someone would consider it collecting or a hobby. I personally just consider them specimens, and don't quite feel the same towards them as I do towards my reptiles. They still get the best care I can provide, I just don't get attached to them in the same way as other animals.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I agree. Keeping living animals living isn't a hobby. I prefer calling myself a tarantula enthusiast
I won't ever breed as I hate kids/humans. But if I did and I was a parent I wouldn't suddenly list being a parent as a hobby.

To me the word hobby doesn't justify or appreciate the importance of keeping tarantulas.

grimmjowls

Arachnoknight
I call it a hobby but I see what you're saying.

I just see any sort of keeping as a hobby—something I enjoy to do in my free time. I enjoy keeping tarantulas.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I don't mind the term. Sounds liberal to label everything and make it all non offensive.

I do hate tarantulas referred to as T's. I think that's just stupid.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
I don't mind the term. Sounds liberal to label everything and make it all non offensive.

Calling them ts just comes about from being too lazy to type tarantulas out every time

basin79

ArachnoGod

I'm not one for abbreviations usually but "T" doesn’t bother me. Which is weird thinking about it.

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
I won't ever breed as I hate kids/humans. But if I did and I was a parent I wouldn't suddenly list being a parent as a hobby.
I wouldn't ever view keeping spiders the same as raising my son. Considering it a "hobby" doesn't mean I don't take care of them.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I wouldn't ever view keeping spiders the same as raising my son. Considering it a "hobby" doesn't mean I don't take care of them.
I'm not implying you don't care for them.

I'm typing that being responsible for a living animal isn't a hobby. No matter how much of a privilege it feels.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I agree that the term 'hobby' doesn't quite seem to fit the ownership and care of animals. I'm not sure what is more accurate, though.

How about "I keep tarantulas."

Last edited:

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
I'm not implying you don't care for them.

I'm typing that being responsible for a living animal isn't a hobby. No matter how much of a privilege it feels.
I get what you're saying, comparing it to being a parent is a bit of a stretch to me though.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I see your point, comparing it to being a parent is a bit of a stretch to me though.

You're responsible for the wellbeing and care of an animal that is entirely dependant on you (until the kid is old enough to take responsibility for themselves) that you have chosen to take care of.

It's the same thing.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Doesn't matter to me.. Typing out enthusiast sounds very snobbish to me. I consider my self a Tarantula keeper. It's just easiest to express my involvement in tarantula culture by saying I'm a hobbyist or keeper.

As far as T or tarantula I use both.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Doesn't matter to me.. Typing out enthusiast sounds very snobbish to me. I consider my self a Tarantula keeper. It's just easiest to express my involvement in tarantula culture by saying I'm a hobbyist or keeper.

As far as T or tarantula I use both.
I'm in no way snobbish but I can see your point with enthusiast. Although to me enthusiast is just a fancy way to word the fact you feel passionately feel for something.

Hobby is just a throw away term to link it with a living animal (to me).

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
You're responsible for the wellbeing and care of an animal that is entirely dependant on you (until the kid is old enough to take responsibility for themselves) that you have chosen to take care of.

It's the same thing.
To me it isn't and I have both. We'll just have to agree to disagree I guess

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I'm in no way snobbish but I can see your point with enthusiast. Although to me enthusiast is just a fancy way to word the fact you feel passionately feel for something.

Hobby is just a throw away term to link it with a living animal (to me).
I wasn't trying to call you a snob. Sorry if it sounded that way.. I get where your coming from and feel kind of the same way. It's like back in the day I was R/C car hobbyist.. It implys tinkering and tuning replaceing parts etc.. None of that is involved in Tarantula keeping so I can see where it forms a rift for you and others.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon

To me the word hobby doesn't justify or appreciate the importance of keeping tarantulas.
Calling it a culture seems more apt

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I hear similar from my psychologist every week.
I'm disgusted by the fact that you haven't already killed him in a kinda 'artistic' way, maybe putting one of the sharp, useless, priced items they love to collect in their studio/s inside his body :-/

:kiss: