Hobby???

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
To me, this is absolutely a hobby. I'm not sure what else I'd call it. These aren't pets - pets can show affection towards you and recognize you. Hell, you're not even really supposed to be touching these creatures. That puts them on the same playing ground as fish.

I collect them for my own enjoyment. Different colors, attitudes, lifestyles, and other quirks. In the same way someone collects art, I collect tarantulas. Certainly a hobby to me until someone gives me a better word for it.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I wasn't trying to call you a snob. Sorry if it sounded that way.. I get where your coming from and feel kind of the same way. It's like back in the day I was R/C car hobbyist.. It implys tinkering and tuning replaceing parts etc.. None of that is involved in Tarantula keeping so I can see where it forms a rift for you and others.
I didn't mean my post to imply you where calling me snobbish.

I DEFINITELY DIDN'T GET THAT IMPRESSION.

natalie woods

Arachnopeon
Hello! Any suggestions on a 1st T I should look into getting? Also, are there any good places online to buy from??

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
Hello! Any suggestions on a 1st T I should look into getting? Also, are there any good places online to buy from??
Euthalus sp.
B.Hamorri
G.pulchripes
E. Campestratus to name a few good beginner species.

I always suggest kenthebugguy.com and Jaimie's tarantulas. Fear not tarantulas also has some good reviews

creepa

Arachnoknight
Why do they sell tropical fish at the pet store, then?
For people who want to expand they're hobby...:D

For me it is allso a hobby..., i collect Theraphosidae to look at and spend time on when i get home from work or before i go to bed etc.

And imo. you cant compare raising children and keeping pets and especially not exotic (no hands on) pets...

Raising children is teaching them to walk and talk, teaching them morals and standards, help them with trey're homework etc..., prepairing them for life.

Having pets is just feeding them and keeping them from taking a dump on the carpet... (and kick them if they do:troll:)

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Is it just me that absolutely hates the term hobby when referring to keeping T's?

There just seems something fundamentally wrong to me with keeping living animals and referring to that as a hobby.

Stamp collecting is a hobby. Train spotting is a hobby. Caring for a living animal isn't. To me.

Well that's it. I've let off a tadicum of steam.
I see your point, it's more then just a hobby, it's a responsibility as well. I still can't think of a better term for tarantula enthusiasts. After all, we are spider hoarding weirdos to many, so it helps to have a term for our obsession when speaking with strangers to our ways. I guess I could call myself a zoo keeper, but I ain't charging no admittance fee to visitors. ;)

Icculus

Arachnosquire
You're responsible for the wellbeing and care of an animal that is entirely dependant on you (until the kid is old enough to take responsibility for themselves) that you have chosen to take care of.

It's the same thing.
Exact same thing. Take my 8 year old son for instance. He's been hiding under his bed for the last six months. Saw him for the first time this morning. My how he has grown

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Define hobby "an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure."

Isn't that exactly what we do with our collections? I wouldn't call it a chore that's for sure, unless I'm rehousing a really nasty specimen and it's giving me a hard time.

boina

Lady of the mites
I've never said to anyone that tarantula keeping is my hobby - I always just say "I keep tarantulas". Yes, I somehow dislike the term "hobby" for this because I do get attached to every single one of my tarantulas, so much so that I won't sell them unless it's a MM. I even found it hard to sell all the babies from my one eggsac (which is another reason for me to not start breeding). On the other hand they don't mean as much to me as my cats, of course, but nearly as much as my snakes ;).