Hi all, B. Albo thinks its a rock!!

Englischdude

Arachnopeon
Hi dear Community,

my name is Martin and i am located in the alpine region of austria.

my daughters have been bugging (pun intended) me for ages for a pet. we went through the whole catalogue of possible pets, in the end i took them to a reptile expo and the came home with a 1.5 year old female albo. she is called HAVANA!

In the beginning Havana was living in a flat 1litre plastic tub, now she has moulted we felt she is outgrowing her environment. as substrate before we used earth from a mole hill which we baked. she had a water dish and hideout and seemed just fine.

now we have rehoused Havana to a 30cm x 30cm glass terrarium. for geoud substrate we habe used a mix of earth and coconut fibre. it was in the form of these dried pressed bricks which you need to soak in water. the substrate seemed however too moist so we left it is the open for a couple of days to allow it to dry out a little.

now havana is in her new home, the first nigjt she was wandering around like crazy but for the last 24 jours has just sat between her water dish and the corner of her tank close to one of the ventilation grills. i bought one of those exo terra humidity guage which turned out to be a complete waste of money as it is extremely innacurate, however using an electronic humidity gauge i estimate the humidity to be about 85 percent. is this too high? is it possible that she is just tired from all the exploring she has done and is just resting? should i maxbe put her back in her old home and dry out the substrate more?

i am a little nervous as we will be away for a week from this coming tuesday and want to be sure she is happy in her new home before we go.

thanks in advance for your help.

martin

Last edited:

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
I wouldn't worry about specific humidity numbers. You probaby want to keep that species fairly dry with a water dish. I would raise the substrate level in the enclosure to prevent falling damage though.

Englischdude

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't worry about specific humidity numbers. You probaby want to keep that species fairly dry with a water dish. I would raise the substrate level in the enclosure to prevent falling damage though.
thanks for the quick feedback. i thought if this point however in hindsight. i could raise the substrate level at the back but not at the front without covering the ventilation grill.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
For terrestrial Ts you generally want a distance from the substrate surface to the lid to be no more than 1.5X the Ts Diagonal Leg Span for the reason Hellblazer mentioned.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
thanks for the quick feedback. i thought if this point however in hindsight. i could raise the substrate level at the back but not at the front without covering the ventilation grill.
Is that an exo terra enclosure? Sounds like the design is not ideal for a terrestrial T and better suited for an arboreal. You need more substrate or your T is in danger of a big fall that could injure or kill him/her.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
For terrestrial Ts you generally want a distance from the substrate surface to the lid to be no more than 1.5X the Ts Diagonal Leg Span for the reason Hellblazer mentioned.
Have you recognized the ventilation style and that glass ah ah? :p

Englischdude

Arachnopeon
Is that an exo terra enclosure? Sounds like the design is not ideal for a terrestrial T and better suited for an arboreal. You need more substrate or your T is in danger of a big fall that could injure or kill him/her.
its not an exo terra, it is sold at a local diy store called hornbach, big here in austria, and they have a large pet department. they had the exo terra enclosures also. this one seemed to be a perfect size, but maybe not the best solution for a terrestrial t. due to the ventilation grill at the front i am limited to the hight of the substrate here. maybe i need to rethink the type of enclosure.

Englischdude

Arachnopeon
Mostly I use 'Dragon' KK but I have three of those; one little like a packet of 20 cigarettes, one XL where my old like hell 'Brachy' lives, and one for arboreals, where I keep my female P.cambridgei :-s
chris you also use this kind of tank?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
chris you also use this kind of tank?
I have one I use for my B.albopilosum (an adult female). The ventilation is just like yours (guessed from the pic) but I think the size is different; mines a rectangular one, however both at the end of the day were/are made following the, 'historically', for inverts and spinnen :) European glass style I think.
Nice enclosures.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ah ah I leaved that comment on purpose :) you are the first to spot those.
I noticed the difference years ago, it's only recently that I started comparing ExoTerra's, Glass Cubes, and whatever we use stateside in a bit more detail, due to Avic husbandry.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I noticed the difference years ago, it's only recently that I started comparing ExoTerra's, Glass Cubes, and whatever we use stateside in a bit more detail, due to Avic husbandry.
What is your conclusion? :)