Heterophrynus batesii (Giant Peruvian Tailless Whip Scorpion)

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
Congrats! You must feel very proud!
Nice number of offsprings too.

May I ask what is the size of your female? The reason I am asking is that I have several females with sacs. They are 100% H. batesii, but they have much longer pedipalps than those of the one seen here. Like, much much longer.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wizentrop: Thanks! :) I am not exactly sure of her size but she is very small. My three other females are also very small. They have all had multiple sacs and have dropped them. This is my first female to have babies. All of the females have been kept at 72-75 F, in high humidity, always with a water dish (not sure if they use it) and get food very often.

Hisserdude: Thanks! :)

Last edited:

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Congrats on the little ones! Hope they start growing up nicely for you (and your other females have successful births)!

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You are welcome. Yes, I have giant spring tails, Trichorhina tomentosa (Dwarf White Sow Bug) and Jungle Micropod Sow Bug.
Good to know...I have Sinella curviseta springtails as a cleanup crew for my juvenile Damon diadema. I haven't put any isopods with them, worried that they might attack recently molted whiplings, but if you haven't encountered any problems, I probably wouldn't either. I guess it helps that they molt quite a distance from the ground...

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I don't know why many of the broods do not work out but the 2nd and 3rd broods (of a female) are usually many times more likely to succeed than the first.It's almost like the first is a test run. You might have a huge pile of babies in a year. Also, I'm currently down to one adult male but that's my fault.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't know why many of the broods do not work out but the 2nd and 3rd broods (of a female) are usually many times more likely to succeed than the first.It's almost like the first is a test run. You might have a huge pile of babies in a year. Also, I'm currently down to one adult male but that's my fault.
Thanks, Orin. Good to know.

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
Well I'm relieved had my biggest female drop a sad looking small sac and abandon it, I thought the conditions were unfavorable or something...

-JohnD.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I wonder if we accidentally force them to breed early in captivity and in nature there is a mechanism in their social behavior that tends to prevent it. I know when I used to see wild-caught Damon the females were always full size but in captivity it is easy to make them breed when they are pretty tiny. Damon aren't as bad in throwing the first broodsac but if they're too small the broodsac often gets tossed. My Heterophrynus females that had young in the last few months mostly threw their sacs the year before. None threw sacs this time though one brood had high mortallity on the molt from first to second instar. You should wait till they molt before trying to breed them again.

"Anyone who says whipspiders are not social lacks basic knowledge of social creatures and of Amblypygi. Ants kill their sisters at the first sign of starvation."

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wonder if we accidentally force them to breed early in captivity and in nature there is a mechanism in their social behavior that tends to prevent it. I know when I used to see wild-caught Damon the females were always full size but in captivity it is easy to make them breed when they are pretty tiny. Damon aren't as bad in throwing the first broodsac but if they're too small the broodsac often gets tossed. My Heterophrynus females that had young in the last few months mostly threw their sacs the year before. None threw sacs this time though one brood had high mortallity on the molt from first to second instar. You should wait till they molt before trying to breed them again.

"Anyone who says whipspiders are not social lacks basic knowledge of social creatures and of Amblypygi. Ants kill their sisters at the first sign of starvation."
Thanks for all this great information. I will definitely wait till they molt till I breed them again.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
UPDATE: My babies have reached 2nd instar. They are with Mom. I threw in a roach for Mom and one of the babies immediately grabbed it and started eating it. The roach was 2 times the length of the babies body. Needless to say, I was surprised! :)

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
UPDATE: My babies have reached 2nd instar. They are with Mom. I threw in a roach for Mom and one of the babies immediately grabbed it and started eating it. The roach was 2 times the length of the babies body. Needless to say, I was surprised! :)
Glad to hear that they're doing well!

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
That actually does not surprise me at all. H. batesii are among the easiest to feed IMO, they are just so responsive!
Really one of the best species of Amblypygi out there. Glad your babies are feeling well.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
For crying out loud! When are we going to get some more pictures of the tykes??