Heterophrynus batesii (Giant Peruvian Tailless Whip Scorpion)

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
What's their current size, w & w/o whips? I ask because they seem rather small but obviously mature enough to breed based on your pictures.

I plan to create a communal tank with this sp. once I get some breeding going

-JohnD.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very nice! How old are they? I love those pedipalps on the males.
Thanks! ya, isn't he cool looking. I bought them as 3rd instars from Orin 13 months ago.

---------- Post added 10-15-2014 at 05:33 PM ----------

What's their current size, w & w/o whips? I ask because they seem rather small but obviously mature enough to breed based on your pictures.

I plan to create a communal tank with this sp. once I get some breeding going

-JohnD.
I would have to measure them but the male (with whips fully extended) is 13 inches. They are small. I was shocked when I saw the egg sacs as I thought they would have to be much bigger to be sexually mature. Not so with this species... :biggrin:

Do you have some now?

Last edited:

Forcep

Arachnosquire
Whips will keep molting after sexually matured so I think they will become gigantic at last =D

So the females can be kept communally? Do you have pictures of the enclosure?

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
I would have to measure them but the male (with whips fully extended) is 13 inches. They are small. I was shocked when I saw the egg sacs as I thought they would have to be much bigger to be sexually mature. Not so with this species... :biggrin:

Do you have some now?
I have five atm. I recall a video of some travelers handling a HUGE specimen so I know they should get bigger, good to know they become sexually mature early on though.

-JohnD.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Whips will keep molting after sexually matured so I think they will become gigantic at last =D

So the females can be kept communally? Do you have pictures of the enclosure?
I have kept the females together and not had any issues. I have had a hard time keeping more than one male in an enclosure. After a while (even with babies) there seems to be a time when there are a good number of females left and only one male. I have never seen a male kill a male but I am assuming this is what happens. I do not have any pictures of the enclosure right now. Sorry about that... :)

---------- Post added 10-15-2014 at 09:14 PM ----------

I have five atm. I recall a video of some travelers handling a HUGE specimen so I know they should get bigger, good to know they become sexually mature early on though.

-JohnD.
Cool. Did you get your from Orin? I think he is the original source for all of the captive born babies.

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
Cool. Did you get your from Orin? I think he is the original source for all of the captive born babies.
Three are from him, the other two I traded for locally. I think he is, most people I've asked say they bought from him or from bugsincyberspace, and when asking bugsincyberspace, they say they got their specimens from Orin so it all leads back. I'm going to get his book on breeding these before I make an attempt I'm sure it'll help in the long run.

-JohnD.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Three are from him, the other two I traded for locally. I think he is, most people I've asked say they bought from him or from bugsincyberspace, and when asking bugsincyberspace, they say they got their specimens from Orin so it all leads back. I'm going to get his book on breeding these before I make an attempt I'm sure it'll help in the long run.

-JohnD.
His book is very informative. Got a lot of great info from it. Now I just need to get an H. batesii...

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Damn, all these H batesii lately are making me really miss mine. I keep telling myself I'm waiting on getting new inverts til I finish getting the snakes I want, and you guys keep screwing up that plan by flashing your Heterophrynus pics. ;)

Beautiful animals. One of my fave inverts I have ever owned.

Gekkotan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
MrCrackerpants, how did you have these sexed before adulthood? There is another dimorphim besides the obvious pedipalp size when adult and the abdomen wide? Thanks

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
MrCrackerpants, how did you have these sexed before adulthood? There is another dimorphim besides the obvious pedipalp size when adult and the abdomen wide? Thanks
Good question. I am assuming (since they were all the same instar when I got them) that all of the males have molted out with their adult pedipalps. This may be a faulty assumption and some of the females could be males with slower development than the other mature males.

Paulos

Arachnopeon
These are absolutely amazing, thank you for sharing the pictures. I have a question, do you use any kind of 'clean up crew' insects in your enclosures as I have heard that they can be quite messy eaters?

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
These are absolutely amazing, thank you for sharing the pictures. I have a question, do you use any kind of 'clean up crew' insects in your enclosures as I have heard that they can be quite messy eaters?
You are welcome. Yes, I have giant spring tails, Trichorhina tomentosa (Dwarf White Sow Bug) and Jungle Micropod Sow Bug.

Gekkotan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Good question. I am assuming (since they were all the same instar when I got them) that all of the males have molted out with their adult pedipalps. This may be a faulty assumption and some of the females could be males with slower development than the other mature males.
I have some Heterophrynus too. Dont know if they are batesii. They are from 2 pregnant females but didnt grow at the same speed. I will see later if I can notice diference in them. Thanks

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great, thanks for the information.
You bet :)

---------- Post added 10-17-2014 at 04:12 PM ----------

I have some Heterophrynus too. Dont know if they are batesii. They are from 2 pregnant females but didnt grow at the same speed. I will see later if I can notice diference in them. Thanks
Ya, let us know. That sounds like a cool comparison.

Gekkotan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You bet :)

---------- Post added 10-17-2014 at 04:12 PM ----------

Ya, let us know. That sounds like a cool comparison.
Just checked out and none of my Heterophrynus has larger pedipalps like yours. A diferent species for sure. Now comes the problem in have then sexed :mask:
IMG_4213_1024x768.jpg

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just checked out and none of my Heterophrynus has larger pedipalps like yours. A diferent species for sure. Now comes the problem in have then sexed :mask:
View attachment 130931
Where did you get them from? The seller was not sure what species they are? I just sex mine when they reach adulthood based on their sexual dimorphism.