Help with possible Funnel Web

AussiePossie

Arachnopeon
I'm not sure where to post this so I selected here, sorry if wrong. Good evening everyone, so,
This was 2 nights ago: I walked out of my room and saw this massive black figure right next to my cat, I was instantly like f**k no, went back into my room to get me phone and it was gone! I carefully looked around every corner and finally dound it. At first I thought it was a big huntsman (pretty common in Australia) but when it tried to attack my cat I instantly knew it was a Funnel Web spider when I Cleary saw it, and when I mean big I mean BIG, almost size of my hand!!! It ran into my room and I closed the door so it couldn't escape and it's been locked in there for 2 almost 3 days, I don't know what to do, it could be anywhere in that room now!! I called poisen hotline they said they couldn't help unless I was bitten... And it New Year's Eve sooo no pest control.. Help!!!!???

RepugnantOoze

Arachnosquire
Well i am guessing you are to afraid to catch it and release it? If so any spider raid should work just fine. It'd be really great if you could just like send it to me

AussiePossie

Arachnopeon
Well i am guessing you are to afraid to catch it and release it? If so any spider raid should work just fine. It'd be really great if you could just like send it to me
Send it to you? Lol. Oh yeah, one of the worlds most deadliest spiders right? No way am I touching it whether along get near it

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
But shouldn't you hard as rock, wild like 'Crocodile Dundee', strong like the Outback land etc etc & etc Aussie people be able to deal with such thing? o_O

Wish I could teleport myself from Lombardy, Italy, to help you, ah ah :-s

Aside for jokes, those spiders venom are potentially lethal (for us, I'm not sure about this but I've heard that on other animals that venom isn't deadly like for us).

AussiePossie

Arachnopeon
But shouldn't you hard as rock, wild like 'Crocodile Dundee', strong like the Outback land etc etc & etc Aussie people be able to deal with such thing? o_O
Hahahah, nah mate I'm a city person, originally from Los Angeles. So I'm scared shitless of eveything here, you see it moving its most likely there to kill you.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Hahahah, nah mate I'm a city person, originally from Los Angeles.
Ah, this explain everything :kiss:
I imagine a rude wild man, one day, pointing a huge knife at your throat saying "You are stranger, not real Aussie" u_u a la "Wolf Creek"

jok :troll:

AussiePossie

Arachnopeon
Would you reccommand burning this place to the ground? I've heard it's very efficient.

I called poisen line (different one) and they suggested me to call the fire department, would they really remove a man eating spider? I mean I don't want to waste their time on that if they have other important things like fires..

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Would you reccommand burning this place to the ground? I've heard it's very efficient.

I called poisen line (different one) and they suggested me to call the fire department, would they really remove a man eating spider? I mean I don't want to waste their time on that if they have other important things like fires..
No, I wouldn't man. Seriously. My advice is, excercise caution, do not walk barefoot or something (I suggest tall Magnum Boots :angelic:, not even the Atrax can pierce those hard as hell British boots).

It's not written that you will encounter him again, even if he's "trapped" (him because in general are males, females doesn't leave their burrows/home without serious reasons, but this ain't a good new, for that if what you saw was an Atrax robustus, well... males are more badass and deliver more venom, or they are more venomous, than females if I'm not wrong).

Anyway I wouldn't enter in your room/s at night with the light turned off, wearing sandals or light shoes like that etc just wait and when they are available, call the "bug guys" :p

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I don't think I could do it myself but any bug spray will almost certainly cause your eight legged guest to expire. I'd love to have one myself. If I could just come over there with a shippimg container and be allowed to keep whatever I can catch, I'd be a happy camper

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
If I could just come over there with a shippimg container and be allowed to keep whatever I can catch, I'd be a happy camper
I hear you, man. But assuming just for talking (in this case only) that something like that would be possible, what about (like I think) the high % chances of a 1.0, maybe mature? In general 99% of those are always males. To end with a MM sucks in such scenario :-/

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I really hope you got the cat out as well before you locked the door...

Like @Chris LXXIX said, turn lights on before entering. Check shoes/clothing before putting it on.
And watch your cat. If it is staring somewhere or seems to follow something with her eyes, search in that direction.

You could try to take a large container and put it over the spider if you see it.
Doesn't Sydney have a phone number you can call in these circumstances? I remember seeing a documentary about it. They come pick up the spider and use it to collect venom to make an antivenom.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Catch and release. I know you might not want to but that's the most realistic solution.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I'd bloody love to find a massive funnel web. It'd be in a new home before it could funnel into anything.

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You could probably contact a local pet store or zoo or something and they might have someone that collects them in their spare time

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Catch and release. I know you might not want to but that's the most realistic solution.
Uhm... depends. For us? Sure, since we are skilled by decades (or years, for someone) of arachnid hobby in the "how to" when it comes to deal with such things.

But that's not the best solution at all if the person is someone that never did, before, something like that. Like catch cup a spider, in this case (if the OP isn't wrong in his analysis, of course, because we don't know, at the end, which spider is for real) a huge, fast, extremely defensive Mygalomorphae loaded with a venom able to put lights off.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I'd bloody love to find a massive funnel web. It'd be in a new home before it could funnel into anything.
Rumors (and I say rumors :angelic:) say that someone in Europe had/has access to certain funnel-buggers. I have no clue about the credibility of those voices, however :-s

basin79

ArachnoGod
Rumors (and I say rumors :angelic:) say that someone in Europe had/has access to certain funnel-buggers. I have no clue about the credibility of those voices, however :-s
I'll just stick to my non DWA giant Japanese funnel webs. I'd love a Brazilian wandering spider and a Sydney funnel web. But I couldn't keep my mouth shut or not take pictures of them.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I'll just stick to my non DWA giant Japanese funnel webs. I'd love a Brazilian wandering spider and a Sydney funnel web. But I couldn't keep my mouth shut or not take pictures of them.
I think that the Atrax robustus, due to Australia efforts (which I understand completely) will remain a mirage, but for the P.nigriventer, if I'm not wrong, there's small % chances (like the ones to find rare monsters in RPG videogames side quests) that they jumps out in certain England restaurant kitchen sometimes among bananas imported from Brazil ah ah :-s

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
A trick if you want to capture the animal with reasonable safety to it and yourself. Buy a wad, about 1 cubic foot of the white fiber fluff they stuff seat cushions with. Fluff it up. Find the spider and gently plop the fluff over it. Carefully enfold the spider in the stuff. Both comb and claw footed spiders get tangled easily. Then just take it outside to a release location and help it get untangled with a sharp stick and some dexterity and patience. Done right your body never gets within or near bite range. This works very well with large blitzing fast huntsman.

Last edited:

basin79

ArachnoGod
A trick if you want to capture the animal with reasonable safety to it and yourself. Buy a wad, about 1 cubic foot of the white fiber fluff they stuff seat cushions with. Fluff it up. Find the spider and gently plop the fluff over it. Carefully enfold the spider in the stuff. Both comb and claw footed spiders get tangled easily. Then just take it outside to a release location and help it get untangled with a sharp stick and some dexterity and patience. Done right your body never gets within or near bite range. This works very well with large blitzing fast huntsman.
That seems a lot of hassle especially for the spider. I'd just use the tried and tested method of glass/tub over the top then a sturdy piece of card or lid carefully slid underneath so not to trap the spiders legs. Job done.