Help with possible Funnel Web

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
That seems a lot of hassle especially for the spider. I'd just use the tried and tested method of glass/tub over the top then a sturdy piece of card or lid carefully slid underneath so not to trap the spiders legs. Job done.
That was my idea as well. But i have no clue on how fast these funnel web spiders are. If they are like huntsman or S.calceatum, then it maybe is safer to just let it be and call fire department or bug control.

AussiePossie

Arachnopeon
Alright so update, I did call the fire dept but they said they couldn't do anything as I don't really know the location of it but they suggested I use a spider bomb, a bomb that sprays poisen like for 2 hours and kills any sort of insect and/or spider.. I'm sorry to those spider lovers but me and Steve (the funnel web) didn't get along well.

Yes I named him, he had been living here for a few days so why not?

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight
I know this I said a little bit old but if you find any more you can send it to the Australian reptile park. They use the spiders to make funnel web antivenom. Which is actually a pretty easy task because they can't climb plastic or jump and they aren't particularly fast so they can easily be guided into a container

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I have a deep passion and admiration for all arachnids but a Funnel Web wandering in my house I would consider to be life threatening to me and my family.Capture and relocation is a higher risk affair to me then going in with broom or mop and dispatching the spider.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I have a deep passion and admiration for all arachnids but a Funnel Web wandering in my house I would consider to be life threatening to me and my family.Capture and relocation is a higher risk affair to me then going in with broom or mop and dispatching the spider.
If you can hit it with a broom you can catch it. Absolutely no need to kill the poor thing.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I respect the opinion of not harming the animal but when faced with a deadly threat in ones own home, I would not hesitate to remove the threat by any means necessary. If one has the experience level to capture and relocate then great but not everyone does. So many experienced keepers get bit doing cage transfers, etc. Too bad the local Fire Department or Pest Control cant help but I suspect they would not be relocating the spider if they came out.

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight
It is a threat to family, especially infants. It might only take a few minutes to kill a toddler so I would treat it with caution. But if you can send the spider to the reptile park where they make antivenom, especially a large male, it could save lives

basin79

ArachnoGod
I respect the opinion of not harming the animal but when faced with a deadly threat in ones own home, I would not hesitate to remove the threat by any means necessary. If one has the experience level to capture and relocate then great but not everyone does. So many experienced keepers get bit doing cage transfers, etc. Too bad the local Fire Department or Pest Control cant help but I suspect they would not be relocating the spider if they came out.
I'm shocked to be honest. The idea for spider lovers is to try and show those that aren't that they're not deadly monsters hell bent on killing you.

A simple glass/jar/tub over the top and a strong piece of card or similar carefully slid under. Job done.

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight
It's not like the spider is out there to get you, even if a funnel web is highly aggressive. They don't want to waste venom on something they don't want to and can't eat. Much like venomous snakes

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
It's not like the spider is out there to get you, even if a funnel web is highly aggressive. They don't want to waste venom on something they don't want to and can't eat.
Not exactly. Chances are it's a horny male. Think your average mid west beer bar. Drunk/semi sane but irrational foosballs out looking to hump between picking fights... or visa versa.

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight
Yes it's the males who go wandering and then are a big overly aggressive, but they don't want to pick a fight with what is potentially a predator. They'll try to avoid you most of the time, people aren't what's on his mind. Females are.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I hope it's s happy ending and the Funnel Web was removed from the home without anyone being bitten.