Help! Two tarantulas in one enclosure! Will they fight?

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
I came back from school this afternoon and I went to go check up on my T's. There are now two Avicularia versicolors in the enclosure!! Will they fight? The other one looks thinner and transparent. Have they already fought with that one dying? What do I do!

(JK! I was actually greeted by a freshly molted Avic sling when I came home. I've had him/her for about 3 months now, and first molt in my care. Also is her formation currently just normal molt position, because one of her poses looked like a death curl. Should I drop some water droplets from the top for her to drink from? She might not find her water bowl when she needs something to drink.)

Attachments

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
Yes. I'm sure she'd appreciate water nearby. A few drops on the webbing right near her tunnel would be perfect.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
If you have a water dish, then it should be fine. If I were you, I would just mist around her web, not on it if you are worried about it. Awesome there seem to be no molting issues, btw T's get into some really strange positions after they molt :D

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
I think it was viper69 who told me avics often won't go down to thier water dish, which is why he adds a few drops right near the tunnel after a molt. I personally have no experience with arboreal T's. I'm just restating what I was told.

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
I think it was viper69 who told me avics often won't go down to thier water dish, which is why he adds a few drops right near the tunnel after a molt. I personally have no experience with arboreal T's. I'm just restating what I was told.
I too have been told by Viper69 hat he does this with his aboreals, but I just have a different situation. His/her waterbowl is on the ground. There is also a cricket on the ground I left overnight if it wanted to hunt. Now I don't want to take out the cricket yet because opening the container will shake up and disturb the avic. I've removed one leg on the cricket and the nearest thing it can grab onto to climb up to the avic webbing is out of reach; besides I doubt the cricket would even go near webbing. But if he goes down to drink he might be greeted by the cricket.

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
@JumpingSpiderLady All the arboreal T's I have owned don't have issue locating water-dishes at ground level.
I meant right after molting. Not that they can't find it, just that they don't want to come down. I don't question your experience, I just wanted to make it clear that since I have no arboreals, I wasn't drawing conclusions with no basis.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not I. I would have written at most that not all Avics will use a bowl. OR after molting sometimes they are so tired they don't make it down post-molt.

I too have been told by Viper69 hat he does this with his aboreals, but I just have a different situation. His/her waterbowl is on the ground. There is also a cricket on the ground I left overnight if it wanted to hunt. Now I don't want to take out the cricket yet because opening the container will shake up and disturb the avic. I've removed one leg on the cricket and the nearest thing it can grab onto to climb up to the avic webbing is out of reach; besides I doubt the cricket would even go near webbing. But if he goes down to drink he might be greeted by the cricket.
For regular drinking...bowl on the ground (see above for exception).

I would remove the cricket entirely. You don't want the Avic going down at some point and attacking the cricket before its fangs are hardened. A loss of both fangs often results in dealth due to starvation.

OR, find some way to kill that cricket w/out removing it.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Fair enough. Time for me to shut up. :dead: Sorry for the misquote.
There is nothing wrong with leaving a pea size droplet or two of water on an avics web every once in awhile.. Especially if they are starting to look like they are in premolt..
I will dribble a little bit of water at the mouth of burrows for pet holes time to time also or any of my Ts really if I feel its warranted..

You have to figure that on some mornings and after rain the web and surrounding areas have some amount of dew or water droplets on them and presumably it's a primary source of Water for some Species..

Having said that though most Ts will seek out there water dish if they need a drink.. I would imagine that even in the wild the need to drink overides the need to hide forceing even the most reclusive species to venture out for water under the right circumstance...

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
Well... that solves my problem. As you guys know crickets are very smart creatures. Just looked later today, and cricket has drowned itself in the waterbowl, which I don't even know how since it's just water bottle cap. :rofl: Thanks for the advice.

Attachments