Help! Sling, not adult!

Ash Wilson

Arachnopeon
Can someone please help? I read the beginner post and a few other posts but have had a hard time in general finding info on my new baby. My first T was Avicularia Avicularia. That was years ago and she was adult when i got her. Hubby just got me an Avicularia Purpurea and we expected an adult and instead we got a tiny baby. I had a setup ready for an adult but it will not work for this tiny baby. Can someone help me figure out how to care for this baby so we dont kill her or lose her? I am waaaay out of my league here. :(
IMG_20170509_114430.jpg IMG_20170509_115604.jpg

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Can someone please help? I read the beginner post and a few other posts but have had a hard time in general finding info on my new baby. My first T was Avicularia Avicularia. That was years ago and she was adult when i got her. Hubby just got me an Avicularia Purpurea and we expected an adult and instead we got a tiny baby. I had a setup ready for an adult but it will not work for this tiny baby. Can someone help me figure out how to care for this baby so we dont kill her or lose her? I am waaaay out of my league here. :(
View attachment 239681 View attachment 239680
Read the link that @boina gave you. Ventilation is of the utmost importance for "Avics"!

Also, a friendly word of advice, if you don´t want to kill or injure it, don´t handle it like that!

Ash Wilson

Arachnopeon
Hello,
Thank you. I did read that. However, i was not sure if the versicolor and the Purpurea had the same requirements.

Here's a tread http://arachnoboards.com/threads/a-versicolor-sling-housing-questions.293911/
where someone asked a very similar question. Scroll down a few posts and you should get a pretty good idea how your babies enclosure should look like.
Don't forget lots of tiny ventilation holes, a water bowl (bottle cap), and a lot of clutter for your Avi to hide in and build a web :)

Ash Wilson

Arachnopeon
Hello,
Thank you for the advice. What was i doing wrong? I did not pick her up but only allowed her to crawl onto my hand. Much appreciated!

Read the link that @boina gave you. Ventilation is of the utmost importance for "Avics"!

Also, a friendly word of advice, if you don´t want to kill or injure it, don´t handle it like that!

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Hello,
Thank you for the advice. What was i doing wrong? I did not pick her up but only allowed her to crawl onto my hand. Much appreciated!
Handling T´s in general is a very bad idea, both for your own and the spider´s sake. They don´t grow any bonds with their keepers and can´t be tamed. A fall might injure the tarantula as they are quite fragile. Now, whereas this is an arboreal species that are more competent at climbing than terrestrial species, you still run the risk of startling the spider which may cause it to jump or bounce off which in turn might cause it harm. However, this is your T and you should do with it as you please :)

Ash Wilson

Arachnopeon
Thank you for the advice. I will keep it in mind. I certainly don't want to injure her or kill her.

Handling T´s in general is a very bad idea, both for your own and the spider´s sake. They don´t grow any bonds with their keepers and can´t be tamed. A fall might injure the tarantula as they are quite fragile. Now, whereas this is an arboreal species that are more competent at climbing than terrestrial species, you still run the risk of startling the spider which may cause it to jump or bounce off which in turn might cause it harm. However, this is your T and you should do with it as you please :)

Ash Wilson

Arachnopeon
Ok, i have created this based on what i have available at this time. What do i need to change? I read on one thread that slings get their water from food and not to put any water dish in until their legspan is bigger than a two liter soda cap. He has a cricket leg in there with him and whatever food was put in when he was shipped. I read they scavenge. You can see him through it to show his relative size.

Attachments

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I think I'd contact the seller about this. If you asked and payed for an adult, you certainly were ripped off.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Ok, i have created this based on what i have available at this time. What do i need to change? I read on one thread that slings get their water from food and not to put any water dish in until their legspan is bigger than a two liter soda cap. He has a cricket leg in there with him and whatever food was put in when he was shipped. I read they scavenge. You can see him through it to show his relative size.
That are a lot of holes :D. Add a waterdish and a piece of bark to lounge on and it will be fine for now.

This is what a A.purpurea would look like.
https://www.google.nl/search?q=A.pu...AUIRigB&biw=320&bih=452#imgrc=EKvxWNkRqbWQVM:

Ash Wilson

Arachnopeon
I think I'd contact the seller about this. If you asked and payed for an adult, you certainly were ripped off.
Well, when i looked back at the website it says 3/4". I took that to mean 3-4 inches, so it is my mistake.

Ash Wilson

Arachnopeon
That are a lot of holes :D. Add a waterdish and a piece of bark to lounge on and it will be fine for now.

This is what a A.purpurea would look like.
https://www.google.nl/search?q=A.purpurea+sling&client=ms-android-huawei&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiHzMC-wuPTAhVeF8AKHfSVCBEQ_AUIRigB&biw=320&bih=452#imgrc=EKvxWNkRqbWQVM:
Is it too many? Lol, i tried blowing into the container to see how much air would come out and it doesnt flow very easily. The holes are tiny. Is he big enough for a cap of water?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Ah, in that case, no need to contact the seller :D

It is a lot of holes, usually people just put two or three rows of holes opposite from each other to create cross ventilation. Please don't blow in there when your T is in it, it freaks out every time you do so ;).

On what it could be, A.metallica is possible, but it is too small to have those white tipped hairs yet. Id-ing from pictures is very tough, especially with this genus. However, versicolor and purpurea have distinct features so those are ruled out.
No it is not too small for a waterdish. Use a bottle cap as waterdish, and keep it full. T's don't drown, they float due to the hairs on them :)

Ash Wilson

Arachnopeon
Ah, in that case, no need to contact the seller :D

It is a lot of holes, usually people just put two or three rows of holes opposite from each other to create cross ventilation. Please don't blow in there when your T is in it, it freaks out every time you do so ;).

On what it could be, A.metallica is possible, but it is too small to have those white tipped hairs yet. Id-ing from pictures is very tough, especially with this genus. However, versicolor and purpurea have distinct features so those are ruled out.
No it is not too small for a waterdish. Use a bottle cap as waterdish, and keep it full. T's don't drown, they float due to the hairs on them :)
Lol, no i didnt blow while he was in there. I did it as a test while i was creating it while he was safe in the deli cup he was shipped in.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
What is it?
i dont know. literally a dozen sp it could be right now. wait till about 3"
possibly sp peru purple, some people mix those up some how. are you sure you bought a A purpurea?
also, many people lose their first Avic sue to improper cages. can you post a pic of your A avcis set up?
its not a Ybyrapora or Carabeina. that leaves only every Avicularia sp.

Ash Wilson

Arachnopeon
i dont know. literally a dozen sp it could be right now. wait till about 3"
possibly sp peru purple, some people mix those up some how. are you sure you bought a A purpurea?
also, many people lose their first Avic sue to improper cages. can you post a pic of your A avcis set up?
its not a Ybyrapora or Carabeina. that leaves only every Avicularia sp.
I paid for an Avicularia Purpurea. I have added the bark as recommended by another person.
IMG_20170509_140940.jpg Screenshot_20170506-065612.png

Attachments