Help picking a new fossorial buddy!

deyean

Arachnopeon
Hi guys,

First post here although I've been lurking for quite a while!

I'm looking to get a fossorial T and would like some advice.

I have both Hysterocrates gigas and Cyriopagopoeus lividum in mind which raises a few red flags for obvious reasons as they're both considered aggressive and fast OW spiders.

I have a lot of experience with animals, from reptiles to spiders to birds, I currently have in my possession:
B.smithi juvie (had since sling, now it's 5/6cm)
Avicularia purpurea sling
A. Seemanni sling
Hapalopus sp. sling
A jumper (had jumpers for years)
And finally a Chilean rose which I've had for 9 or so years

With that said I've never had any problems with any spiders, I've always managed to prevent escapes/handled rehoming well but at the same time the slings/juvies are new and the Chilean rose is the chillest dude around, aka I've never had a bite, flicked hairs a few times but I've managed to avoid getting them on me.

Basically I'm not a beginner in any sense to animal husbandry, but I've never had to deal with a troublesome spider (on the contrary I've been bitten by snakes, lizards, etc many times and had to deal with their attitudes), so no bolting, or being attacked etc

So in relation to the two species I've mentioned above I'm not sure if I'm ready, or if it's something I have to bite the bullet and just see how I do... I think I might brick it a little if one were to dash up my tongs onto my arm and body lol; but at the same time I think the lividum is possibly the coolest species of tarantula I've seen, and I'd like to get myself a pet hole.

If the consensus is to go for it and try, the spider shop I use has a lividum female adult, and a h.gigas sling - I'd prefer the adult (no future rehomes, so a lot less risk I suppose?)

Any advice would be great, and if anyone has any recommendations for other species that might be better I'm all for it (preferably if they're in stock on thespidershop.co.uk)

Many thanks and sorry for the long post (wanted to get as much info in to make sure I make the right choice)

cold blood

Staff member
I have both Hysterocrates gigas and Cyriopagopoeus lividum
the spider shop I use has a lividum female adult, and a h.gigas sling - I'd prefer the adult (no future rehomes, so a lot less risk I suppose?)
so you have a lividum and gigas...and your 2 you are considering are.....a lividum and gigas? Am I missing something?

Look for A. ezendami or C. darlingi/marshalli

deyean

Arachnopeon
so you have a lividum and gigas...and your 2 you are considering are.....a lividum and gigas? Am I missing something?

I have them in mind* as in I'm considering these two/think they're the coolest looking I've stumbled across!

They also have the c. Darlingi, it's a juvie 6/7cm - are they less likely to have issues/risks compared to the lividum and gigas?

Mustafa67

Arachnoknight
Hi guys,

First post here although I've been lurking for quite a while!

I'm looking to get a fossorial T and would like some advice.

I have both Hysterocrates gigas and Cyriopagopoeus lividum in mind which raises a few red flags for obvious reasons as they're both considered aggressive and fast OW spiders.

I have a lot of experience with animals, from reptiles to spiders to birds, I currently have in my possession:
B.smithi juvie (had since sling, now it's 5/6cm)
Avicularia purpurea sling
A. Seemanni sling
Hapalopus sp. sling
A jumper (had jumpers for years)
And finally a Chilean rose which I've had for 9 or so years

With that said I've never had any problems with any spiders, I've always managed to prevent escapes/handled rehoming well but at the same time the slings/juvies are new and the Chilean rose is the chillest dude around, aka I've never had a bite, flicked hairs a few times but I've managed to avoid getting them on me.

Basically I'm not a beginner in any sense to animal husbandry, but I've never had to deal with a troublesome spider (on the contrary I've been bitten by snakes, lizards, etc many times and had to deal with their attitudes), so no bolting, or being attacked etc

So in relation to the two species I've mentioned above I'm not sure if I'm ready, or if it's something I have to bite the bullet and just see how I do... I think I might brick it a little if one were to dash up my tongs onto my arm and body lol; but at the same time I think the lividum is possibly the coolest species of tarantula I've seen, and I'd like to get myself a pet hole.

If the consensus is to go for it and try, the spider shop I use has a lividum female adult, and a h.gigas sling - I'd prefer the adult (no future rehomes, so a lot less risk I suppose?)

Any advice would be great, and if anyone has any recommendations for other species that might be better I'm all for it (preferably if they're in stock on thespidershop.co.uk)

Many thanks and sorry for the long post (wanted to get as much info in to make sure I make the right choice)
Sounds like you already know what you want, just be sure to research enough before you buy it

However, there is a LOT of difference between those docile NW’s you named and a C Lividum/H Gigas. I don’t care about you but its important for those Ts to have good homes and to be well looked after. Do research, I’d start out with faster NW’s or at least the calmer OW’s first before jumping into H Gigas/C Lividum.

They also have the c. Darlingi, it's a juvie 6/7cm - are they less likely to have issues/risks compared to the lividum and gigas?
C Darlingi is a good starter OW, given your experience with Ts it might be better suited to you

deyean

Arachnopeon
However, there is a LOT of difference between those docile NW’s you named and a C Lividum/H Gigas. I don’t care about you but its important for those Ts to have good homes and to be well looked after. Do research, I’d start out with faster NW’s or at least the calmer OW’s first before jumping into H Gigas/C Lividum.

C Darlingi is a good starter OW, given your experience with Ts it might be better suited to you
Husbandry wouldn't be an issue at all, but what you said is exactly right and why I'm hesitant, all my spiders are docile.

I'll do some research on the c darlingi, any other suggestions would be great. I'm settled on a burrower/pet hole though!

Mustafa67

Arachnoknight
Husbandry wouldn't be an issue at all, but what you said is exactly right and why I'm hesitant, all my spiders are docile.

I'll do some research on the c darlingi, any other suggestions would be great. I'm settled on a burrower/pet hole though!
To be honest I’d suggest get used to something like a Nhandu/A genic/V chromatus/LP and a GBB, N incei or P cambridgei or P irminia first before you get into OW’s.

cold blood

Staff member
Ceratogryus tend to be some of the more visible fossoriual species, plus theyre really cool and unique looking. And while darlingi can be defensive, theyre not overly so and they tend not to be bolty, so theyre pretty easy to deal with unless you are trying to pack them for shipping.
To be honest I’d suggest get used to something like a Nhandu/A genic/V chromatus/LP and a GBB, N incei or P cambridgei or P irminia first before you get into OW’s.
He already has OW ts and hasnt had a problem

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I think that P. murinus is always a good choice. Beautiful, inexpensive, fast growing, heavy webber, and fossorial. They're not nearly as defensive as people say as long as they're kept correctly with a lot of substrate to construct a burrow and a few hiding places. From my experience they are only defensive when they have nowhere to hide and feel cornered out in the open. Overall one of my favorite Old Worlds to keep.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I’d pick:
  • Haploclastus devamatha
  • Idiothele mira

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
I think that P. murinus is always a good choice. Beautiful, inexpensive, fast growing, heavy webber, and fossorial. They're not nearly as defensive as people say as long as they're kept correctly with a lot of substrate to construct a burrow and a few hiding places. From my experience they are only defensive when they have nowhere to hide and feel cornered out in the open. Overall one of my favorite Old Worlds to keep.
Good choice or p muticus .

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Seems your T experience is limited to slings, yes? That’s no different than dealing with a wolf spider or an orb weaver.

I raised owned herps for decades before Ts, and it taught me virtually nothing useful for Ts.

I recommend you grow your Ts up before getting more,

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter +
You don't have to go ow to find sp that burrow, Ephebopus is a great genus for pet holes any from that genus will burrow, all you will see is legs hanging out the burrow/turret. Sericopelma dig too all my females have burrowed even my big 7+ inch. Some aphonopelma sp burrow too, seemanni , vorhiesi just off the top of my head (i never see mine they live in their burrows) . Hell even my chalcodes has made a burrow about 25 inches long around 3 sides of her viv. You definitely don't need to go ow to get a pet hole 🤷🏻‍♀️

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter
I may not start with a female from spider shoppe. If you're set on an OW, raising a sling is probably a better option. Not to say you can't do it, but a C lividus is a blue demon with 8 legs. Especially if it's wild caught.

There are MANY NW's out there that rival the beauty of a C lividus, and won't make you run down the hallway when they start coming at you.

Remember, looks can be deceiving 😆

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter
You don't have to go ow to find sp that burrow, Ephebopus is a great genus for pet holes any from that genus will burrow, all you will see is legs hanging out the burrow/turret. Sericopelma dig too all my females have burrowed even my big 7+ inch. Some aphonopelma sp burrow too, seemanni , vorhiesi just off the top of my head (i never see mine they live in their burrows) . Hell even my chalcodes has made a burrow about 25 inches long around 3 sides of her viv. You definitely don't need to go ow to get a pet hole 🤷🏻‍♀️
I
Seems your T experience is limited to slings, yes? That’s no different than dealing with a wolf spider or an orb weaver.

I raised owned herps for decades before Ts, and it taught me virtually nothing useful for Ts.

I recommend you grow your Ts up before getting more,
Why didn't you tell me this before I bought my Rufilata Viper? Now I have an 8" behemoth right across from my bed

deyean

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the advice everyone, time to do research!

I was away for a day and I've just come back to my a.seemani making a deep burrow with a neat window which I was overjoyed with, previously they were just sitting under the cork bark PXL_20240925_235710177.jpg

The store has an Ephebopus uatuman sling (1cm), their description is terrestrial that makes deep burrows and webs tunnels above ground which sounds cool but I think I'd like a juvie / sub adult if possible; either way I'll check out everyone's suggestions and get back to you with my choice(s)