Help picking a new fossorial buddy!

deyean

Arachnopeon
Right, after 4 hours of looking at videos, forums etc, and checking out the recommended Ts here, I've made a list of available burrowers in stock in the UK that aren't wild caught, that I like the look of.

Augacephalus ezendami
Ceratogyrus brachycephalus
Ceratogyrus darlingi
Ephebopus uatuman
Ephebopus murinus
Idiothele mira
Chilobrachys natanicharum
Birupes simoroxigorum

I think I'm torn between the two ephebopus species and the idiothele Mira (trapdoor sounds cool) and possibly the c. Darlingi; after watching a load of videos I think I would brick it if I had a spider bolt up my arm onto my back in two seconds, although I definitely think the old world obligate burrowers are the coolest.

Anything to weigh in on the 4 mentioned? My guess is if the husbandry is right, the two ephebopus and Mira would be a breeze, and the c.darlingi is a case of being careful and respectful and I shouldn't have a problem?

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Ephebopus are moisture dependent so make sure you keep those bottom layers moist. @l4nsky was invaluable to me when I was learning this balance.

I mira are also on my wishlist.

Mustafa67

Arachnoknight
Right, after 4 hours of looking at videos, forums etc, and checking out the recommended Ts here, I've made a list of available burrowers in stock in the UK that aren't wild caught, that I like the look of.

Augacephalus ezendami
Ceratogyrus brachycephalus
Ceratogyrus darlingi
Ephebopus uatuman
Ephebopus murinus
Idiothele mira
Chilobrachys natanicharum
Birupes simoroxigorum

I think I'm torn between the two ephebopus species and the idiothele Mira (trapdoor sounds cool) and possibly the c. Darlingi; after watching a load of videos I think I would brick it if I had a spider bolt up my arm onto my back in two seconds, although I definitely think the old world obligate burrowers are the coolest.

Anything to weigh in on the 4 mentioned? My guess is if the husbandry is right, the two ephebopus and Mira would be a breeze, and the c.darlingi is a case of being careful and respectful and I shouldn't have a problem?
Pick the one you like

There’s an invert show in Peterbrough on Sunday. If you can go, it might be good so you can see all these (and some others) and then buy what you like.

deyean

Arachnopeon
Pick the one you like

There’s an invert show in Peterbrough on Sunday. If you can go, it might be good so you can see all these (and some others) and then buy what you like.
I was actually thinking of going to that, I'm in London so not too far. Never been to an expo/show; do shops bring a lot with them / sell them then and there?

Mustafa67

Arachnoknight
I was actually thinking of going to that, I'm in London so not too far. Never been to an expo/show; do shops bring a lot with them / sell them then and there?
Yeah, lots of tarantula shops, breeders and hobbyists bring a lot of Ts and inverts there (scorpions, mantis, jumping spiders, milipedes, etc) and sell them. People often recommend expos as the best places to get Ts. I’m thinking of going too, will be my first show if I go

deyean

Arachnopeon
Yeah, lots of tarantula shops, breeders and hobbyists bring a lot of Ts and inverts there (scorpions, mantis, jumping spiders, milipedes, etc) and sell them. People often recommend expos as the best places to get Ts. I’m thinking of going too, will be my first show if I go
That's awesome, I assumed it would just be a place to show off cool species but if they sell them too that's dangerous (I'll have to show restraint or I'll come home with several 🤣). I think I may hold off with my choices and check that out first then!

deyean

Arachnopeon
So the spider shop has just got an influx of new species and my god I'm in awe of some of them...

I may get myself a juvie Acanthoscurria geniculata as it's 8cm, and beautiful

That aside, they have also just got captive bred c.lividums... which makes me much more inclined opposed to the wild caught adult female :D

Also as a side note (because I am getting a bit carried away myself lol); how many spiders does the average collector have? It's dangerous because I have a dubia colony going for some other pets/my Ts, so the only cost factor is new enclosures and substrate, aka it's hard not to be impulsive lol

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
If they are anything like where I’m from, expos are awesome and dangerous. Tons of T’s. Many big shops there with large inventories, as well as lots of supplies from cork bark to cages. Tons of people to get through though and way too easy to walk home with far more than you intended. Last one I went to, I called ahead to hold 1 each from 2 shops I knew would be there. I came home with 5.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
so you have a lividum and gigas...and your 2 you are considering are.....a lividum and gigas? Am I missing something?

Look for A. ezendami or C. darlingi/marshalli
agreed, Ceratogyrus / Augacephalus are great picks.

confused as well

deyean

Arachnopeon
Went to the expo, came back with a dent in the bank account...

After a long talk with one of the guys, got myself a c.lividus juvie, they didn't have change so they gave me a c.sp hati hati juvie for a fiver out of the blue. My girlfriend got a Brazilian black juvie/SA and a Heterometrus Silenus scorpling (Asian forest scorpion), was great fun.

Had a little difficulty homing the hati hati (kept circling around the outside of the cup), the Brazilian and lividus walked right in after a tiny poke.

PXL_20240929_190921493.jpg PXL_20240929_190220003.jpg PXL_20240929_190621653.PORTRAIT.jpg PXL_20240929_181821364.jpg