Help me save my P. subfusca and E. murinus!!!

Sana

Arachnoprince
Updating.
No progress, sadly.

The murinus flipped from her back to her tummy a day or two ago, but refuses to eat or drink - when she was on her back she would not drjnk the water I dripped into her mouth. I offered a pre-killed(but still kinda twitching, hopefully to get her attention) cricket, and refused it. I may try to flip her again and offer her cricket goo.

Sub is still in the same position on her back, only moving slightly. But still drinking when I drop water into her mouth. I plan to offer her cricket soup today.

I'm getting so discouraged..... I don't know what to do. I feel like my inexperience in caring for "sick" Ts is really bogging down any progress... I'm starting to feel really sad and kind of guilty that I can't seem to save them...
The murinus flipping over sounds like a good thing to me. If she has enough strength to do that I would leave her in a quiet, dark place with a full water bowl and let her rest. I'm having an internal debate about the sub. I have had success previously with rehydrating by leaving them right side up with the mouth in a dish full of water. In that situation I check the dish about once an hour and refill it as necessary. It would allow her to drink as much as she wants on a continuous basis rather then waiting for the next drop from you. You've still got this. Love you girl!

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ok, after reading thru this thread again, I've decided to focus on the dehydration today and wait til tomorrow for the soup - It's seems like the general consensus is to keep them hydrated before trying to introduce food.

Going to leave the murinus alone w a water dish - not going to flip her onto her back again.

I'm thinking - unless someone suggests differently - I'll just keep the subfusca on he back. I would flip her over but her legs are not going to hold her up, they are limp, and a few are twitching/spasming.

Sana

Arachnoprince
Ok, after reading thru this thread again, I've decided to focus on the dehydration today and wait til tomorrow for the soup - It's seems like the general consensus is to keep them hydrated before trying to introduce food.

Going to leave the murinus alone w a water dish - not going to flip her onto her back again.

I'm thinking - unless someone suggests differently - I'll just keep the subfusca on he back. I would flip her over but her legs are not going to hold her up, they are limp, and a few are twitching/spasming.
My only thought with flipping your sub over is that with her mouth in a water dish she has unlimited access to water as long as you keep refilling the dish. She might be able to hydrate faster that way. You know I'm no expert though.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My only thought with flipping your sub over is that with her mouth in a water dish she has unlimited access to water as long as you keep refilling the dish. She might be able to hydrate faster that way. You know I'm no expert though.
Yeah I know, but I'm worried AB her not being able to hold herself up on her legs. But I know she's thirsty BC when I open the icu lid she opens her mouth up really wide, like asking for water. It breaks my heart! I'm staying home all day today so I can keep dripping water every 10-20 mins for today. Then if she's a bit stronger tomorrow , I'll try to flip her I think.

Veribug

Arachnosquire
Yeah I know, but I'm worried AB her not being able to hold herself up on her legs. But I know she's thirsty BC when I open the icu lid she opens her mouth up really wide, like asking for water. It breaks my heart! I'm staying home all day today so I can keep dripping water every 10-20 mins for today. Then if she's a bit stronger tomorrow , I'll try to flip her I think.
I have absolutely no experience with this sort of thing so perhaps you shouldn't take advice from me, but just because she can't support her weight I don't think that means it'd be a bad idea to try flipping her so that her fangs/mouth rest in the water dish, especially if you're there to monitor her. At least then if it looks like it's not working you can go back to your old approach. I agree with Sana in that it might help her hydrate faster. But it depends what sort of water dish you're using... something with a low rim like a petri dish, for example, could work well in this situation. But if anyone wants to chip in and disagree with me feel free

Also edit: Don't feel bad! You're doing everything you can for them, it's absolutely not your fault. <3

Kymura

Arachnoknight
No one could possibly do anymore for them then you are!
I have very limited experience with this... Honestly wish I had the answers for you. Thinking about you and your girls though and hoping for a fantastic outcome.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
You're doing THE BEST for those little ones so don't go blaming yourself.
If you can get the sub strong enough today then if you have to be gone tomorrow you can position her mouth/fangs down in water so she can keep drinking.
I don't know a lot yet about Ts being a newbie. But I get the feeling that they've got the T version of heat stroke with massive dehydration. I'm strongly sure you are doing everything you can for your babies.
If you need to talk or vent pm me. I'll answer for sure. I know what it's like to have a desperately ill T.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I noticed on one person's ICU video on YouTube a plastic bowl with a dip around the outer edge of the bowl with a bump (higher section) in the middle that keeps the book lungs out of the water. That might work well if you do turn the tarantula upright.

But as a newbie I don't know much. I wish I could give better advice. Best of luck to you.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If their abdomens weren't "pruney" they probably weren't dehydrated. And they've been forced enough water at this stage to probably make dehydration a non-issue. Mammals can be over hydrated to the point of death as it screws with their electrolytes. It's possible that something similar may apply to spiders, but don't quote me on that.
Shipping on hot days without a cold pack, even if overnight, is asking for trouble. Moisture plus heat = steam. Sort of like steaming crabs or shrimp. Another poster on AB ran into a similar issue a few years back. The spiders literally cooked.
At this point, I be inclined to practice a little benign neglect. Position them right side up next to a shallow water bowl, leave them alone and hope for the best.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Some progression w the murinus. She's webbing a bit even tho her butt is basically a tiny prune. But she has the ability to walk, but she's wobbly. But she's not staying in the water dish. So I doubt she's drinking much.

image.jpeg
The sub however is not maling any progress really:

image.jpeg

Don't really know what next to do to save the sub...
Someone please help:shy:

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Some progression w the murinus. She's webbing a bit even tho her butt is basically a tiny prune. But she has the ability to walk, but she's wobbly. But she's not staying in the water dish. So I doubt she's drinking much.

View attachment 217413
The sub however is not maling any progress really:

View attachment 217414

Don't really know what next to do to save the sub...
Someone please help:shy:
I'm glad about the murinus, haven't a clue about the sub. Hopefully some old timers can help.
Keep slugging away girl! My feeling is that since the murinus has webbed and is staggering around it's a good sign.
The sub though.....:(

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Minor progression w the murinus. She's webbing a bit even tho her butt is basically a tiny prune. But she has the ability to walk, but she's wobbly. But she's not staying in the water dish. So I doubt she's drinking much.

View attachment 217413
The sub is doing the same...

image.jpeg

Getting discouraged...

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Hey girl. Think of it as this: massive heat stroke. Brain's cooked. You can put that person on life support, but she'll still be brain dead and won't survive without support. Drs. have done all they can.
YOU'VE done all you can. Her little body got BOILED in that package. Just because your murinus is doing better, that doesn't mean the sub will. Different species, etc.
There's just a time to pull the plug and let them go. I'm so, so sorry. :(

Leonardo the Mage

Arachnosquire
It was overheated from a poor packing job. You've done all you can. Not like you can take it to a vet.
There are vets who will treat exotics such as tarantulas, but that's not something that is likely to work here.

@MrsHaas you're doing a fabulous job and have already done more than 90% of keepers could have done. You don't necessarily have to give up on the sub yet, but it might be better for you. Only you can make that decision. The fact that you saved the murines and have done so much for these two is amazing. We need more people like you in this hobby.

Last edited:

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
you're doing a fabulous job and have already done more than 90% of keepers could have done. You don't necessarily have to give up on the sub yet, but it might be better for you. Only you can make that decision. The fact that you saved the murines and have done so much for these two is amazing. We need more people like you in this hobby.
Thats so so kind of you to say... I really appreciate it. That actually helps me feel a bit better. I'm realllly trying here!!!

But I also wonder if the sub will get better or remain "brain damaged" ... The sub actually took a big fat projectile poop yesterday. Dunno if that's a good or bad sign. She still opens her mouth asking for water every time I open the icu so I have such a dilemma here - is she really unable to be saved? Seems like she is reacting... But then again, she does have tremors here and there and hasn't moved (other than her legs, mouth parts and spinerettes).