Help me save my P. subfusca and E. murinus!!!

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think it's more the way your holding it. Allowing the abdomen to hang can make it look detached a bit. I really think you should let her rest a bit @MrsHaas. But that is just my opinion. Call me tomorrow if you want we can chat about it a bit.
Yeah I'm leaving her alone all day today - I gave her worm guts last night and will check on her tomorrow morning.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I know I says I would completely leave her be, but I gave her another dose of mealworms soup. It looked like she was starting to eat it as I put her back in my warm, quiet, dark linen closet. Where she will stay until the morning, when it'll give her more water and allow her to rest more until the next day... I don't want to stress hr so I'm trying to have as little contact with her to hopefully not stress her...

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just checked in on her and I think she may be on her way out. Her mouth is goopy and discolored and she's moving her legs less.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
image.jpeg

It looks more of a light grey color arpund the mouth, but my phone cam sucks.

Kymura

Arachnoknight
Aw man...been hoping so hard for her. Just kept expecting with all the care you've given her that she would make some sort of miraculous recovery. So sorry to hear this hun:sorry:

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Aw man...been hoping so hard for her. Just kept expecting with all the care you've given her that she would make some sort of miraculous recovery. So sorry to hear this hun:sorry:
Ditto!!!
It might just be food leftovers and she can't groom herself.
Either way I'm so sad

Kymura

Arachnoknight
I know you must be and my heart just aches for you. I'm so damn sorry.
Worst thing about this hobby is there's so little we can do to help them. Wish there was more medical research and less taxonomy :(

billrogers

Arachnoknight
This thread has been an amazing journey to follow no matter what the outcome! Your efforts to save her have been nothing short of amazing! Thank you for including all of us throughout this.

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
@MrsHaas I want to be honest with you. I think you are suffering. I think it's past time to let this creature go. And I think you should be proud of all you did and happy you saved a life.
It's sad. It sucks, but I can't see anything here but delay of the inevitable.
I know I can't see the whole picture, so please forgive me if I've overstepped my bounds.
All this I say with love for a fellow human and lover of animals. You are more valuable than any spider.

Kymura

Arachnoknight
I don't think she is in pain or suffering
This is something I read about often. And to my understanding, while they do have a self preservation instinct everything tells me they simply don't have the ability to feel pain.
Don't get me wrong, I am the worst about tending to anthropomorphize them. But that's simply feeding my own emotional attachment to them.
I don't even attempt to pretend not to get emotionally attached, and yes I'm well aware they cannot feel any attachments back. That doesn't stop me from caring, worrying, sometimes crying and convincing myself that they must be suffering. Even though logically I am aware that they are not.
This is killing me to say, but I think perhaps that you need to step back and breathe. I wouldn't euthanize her. But perhaps just give her water once a day or sit her over the bowl and allow nature to take its course. The only thing being hurt at this point is you. This entire episode has been absolutely heart wrenching. And you have done far far more then most already.
Please understand,
this is said with absolute love and respect for the amazing person you are.
~Kim

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
@Kymura and @JumpingSpiderLady
You are both right - I'm probably suffering more than she is... But I'm glad to hear that it's not likely she's living in complete pain and misery.

I feel like she's like someone in a coma - she can only do basic functions and sometimes only with help. Just the basics to keep her body alive.

She eats and drinks but I must administer to her her means of nutrition and hydration. She can still move her legs a bit (thought they sometimes shake and spasm) and her mouth parts work. She still poops and web comes out from her spinnerets when I change the moist towelettes in the ICU.

The past week, I've still kept her in a warm, dark, quiet place (my linen closet) and in the past few days I've had very little contact w her. I check on her and give her water once in the morning when I wake and once before bed. I've only given her guts to eat 3x in the past 2 ½ weeks I've had her and they were all small portions (the Innards of only one medium sized meal worm each time).

I'm trying to intervene as least as possible. But I'm dreading the day I open the closet and find her dead... I feel like it could happen anyday now. But she is strong and fighting to live! I hope her tenacity leads to a recovery soon!

Octagon

Arachnoperson
There is so much one just doesn't know. But, eating, drinking and pooping are all positives. She's staying alive. Whatever is wrong inside may be capable of healing itself and it may not, but definitely the prerequisite to any improvement at this point is to stay alive. Seems to me that leaving her peacefully to rest in the dark, except for watering and feeding, as you are, is the right thing to do. Sending supportive thoughts your way.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Update on the murinus:

Certainly she is not the same fiesty demon she was before being shipped, but she has found the pre made burrow we set up for her in her permanent enclosure and she's been webbing in there. Going to try to give her a cricket today to see if she will eat. The only times I see her out of her burrow, she is usually in a stress curl, but other than than that I'm feeling very confident that she has pulled thru nicely and just requires some TLC to get back to the crazy blood thirsty nutcase she was was before the shipping fiasco...

Before shipping, getting packed (lil monster):
image.jpeg

Right after unboxing and placing in the ICU:
image.jpeg

After flipping over on her own:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

In her final enclosure after a week in the ICU:
image.jpeg

So at least my thread currently has one success story!

Will update on the subfusca soon. Thx for all the love, encouragement and advice!! Xo