Help Identify Tarantula

Tarantulaszzzz

Arachnopeon
It you paid extra you should seek a partial refund, but it definitely looks like a beautiful T.

I only put a little moss in each of my enclosures but don't use it to hold moisture. Is it actually uncomfortable for the T to walk on? I am wondering if I need to remove mine. I mainly use it to add a few extra web points.
Haha at first tot was tblondi so I add a lot because of humility. But I took out a lot already.

Tarantulaszzzz

Arachnopeon
You're not going to like what I have to say ;)

1) Yeah, definitely not a T. blondi, and likely not a Theraphosa at all. It does indeed look like an L. parahybana, but identifying a spider from a picture is often difficult. You should actually be hoping for an LP simply because they're bounds easier to keep than any Theraphosa while still keeping the impressive size. In terms of humidity, just overflow the water dish and allow the substrate to dry out completely before overflowing again. That is all.

2) The enclosure will have to go. ExoTerra's aren't great because there's no way for you to raise the substrate due to the doors. I'd try to return it if at all possible - a heavy spider taking a fall like that would be bad news. Not my most exciting video, but here is a guide on how to set up terrestrial enclosures. Remember: no heat mats! If the temperatures are staying above 65F, then you're perfectly fine.

3) Moss is pretty, but I wouldn't have it on every square inch of the enclosure. Just stick it off into the corner if you want some. The point of moss is to help hold moisture, which you just don't need with this species. It can't be comfortable for them to walk on, either.

4) Speaking of... it's a species, not a breed. Dogs have breeds because they're all the same species. A T. blondi and a L. parahybana are literally different animals and therefore different species.

5) How much did you pay for this, if I may ask? If you paid a T. blondi price, you'd better believe I'd be going down to that dealer and throwing a fit. I may not be able to tell you the actual species, but it's certainly not a T. blondi. If you paid much more than $75, then you got ripped off pretty hard.
Hi thanks for your advice! i have followed it and learnt a lot for your video!

Tarantulaszzzz

Arachnopeon
That definitely appears to be L. Parahybana. They reach an impressive size and grow fairly quickly. As stated, they don't need much humidity and climbing a terrarium like the one you have it in could potentially be fatal if the tarantula were to fall. EulersK pretty much gave a complete rundown of care requirements. I agree with everything he stated. I would definitely take his advice. Let us know how it turns out! :)
Hello Caset k haha, i rehouse for her!

Tarantulaszzzz

Arachnopeon
I have had moss in my E.campestratus' enclosure. She is not a big webber, but she webbed it straight over, and never sits or walks on it.
I think it is maybe too soft to be comfortable for a T. For slings, a little sphagnum moss is okay, they can hide in it. But I don't use it for larger T's.

NO MORE!! haha

Tarantulaszzzz

Arachnopeon
It is indeed too tall, exoi terras are arboreal enclosures...but they can be modified. If laid on its back so the door is at the top (and damming much of the top), then you will be able to add enough sub to make it a proper terrestrial set up.

Climbing wall on the back has no place in a terrestrial enclosure.

I do like the way you have the hide set up.

Keep in mind that this species isn't in the same league size wise as the Theraposa you thought you purchased. It will get big, but it wont get to 10", or even 9"...in fact the large ones are in the 8" range and most don't reach that.
I rehouse for her!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
That definitely appears to be L. Parahybana. They reach an impressive size and grow fairly quickly. As stated, they don't need much humidity and climbing a terrarium like the one you have it in could potentially be fatal if the tarantula were to fall. EulersK pretty much gave a complete rundown of care requirements. I agree with everything he stated. I would definitely take his advice. Let us know how it turns out! :)
I tried to PM you but your Inbox is full.

@Tarantulaszzzz Nice set up for her. Much more suitable.

Last edited: