Help! Baby Tarantula became a prey !

Pygm4li0n

Arachnopeon
First of all, I apologize for my lack of terminology, because this is all new to me, alongside.. english isn't my native language..

Ok, so I've got my first T. as a present. It is a 0.5" baby Nhandu Chromatus.

I placed it in a medium to big sized glass jar with almost 2" of substrate in height, because it's supposed to be a burrower. Half of the substrate surface I sprinkled with water, n' left one half dry. Also left one piece of cotton wool moderately soaked with water inside.

Person who I got it from, told me I could feed it with small bugs half it's size including small spiders, also to avoid the strong colored ones (bugs), and armored too.

First day I threw in two tiny spiders that run n' 'jump' around sunny walls of my house, n' one of that shiny silver very fast runners that can be found under the windows n' damp places in bathrooms.

Few moments later I caught the lil' Chromatus carrying the other jumper spider in it's mouth ! I was delighted ! By the morning, the other two victims were gone, and it's butt has considerably swollen. {D

Encouraged with our first succes, I threw in one very small Araneus diadematus Clerck which was only 1/3 size of the baby Chromatus thinkin' we're cool, and then the disaster struck !

I was a bit worried because the Diadematus was so eager to web the interior of the jar, so I was tearin' up his webbings every 10 mins or so.. Since his webbings were mostly in the upper portion of the jar, near the lid, while Chromatus was half burrowed in the substrate, I decided to give it a rest, n' left to watch something on tv. Half an hour passed, n' i rushed back to see what was goin' on, and was Terrified with sight ! :eek:
Diadematus somehow managed to catch my baby Chromatus, entangle it almost fully in the web, n' lift it all the way under the lid. I started shaking n' almost threw up, couldn't believe that was happening to me. The fact that I bonded so much with the lil' T. in those two days, 'couse it was so healthy, n' active made the whole shock worse for me.
With my hands still shakin' I opened the jar, threw that lil' devil Diadematus off to my bed or somewhere (still don't know where it is) and took the cocoon that was once my beloved T. n' gave it a close inspection. It was totally wrapped up, but I could see it's fangs still moving ! I took some microtools I have n' started an hour long rescuing mission. Finally I managed to free the T. with the loss of one pedipalp, that seemed had been bitten off by itself. I put it back in it's jar, and it ran off to hide under the cotton wool. The other morning I saw it moving, n' it stopped somewhere in the middle of it's substrate (the damp part of it) and now it's practically motionless for two days. Just rotated a bit. It acts like it's body is stuck to the ground, just waving it's legs if I try to gently touch it. Hasn't been eating since the incident, but it's only few days ago since it ate a lot. I tried to put a tiny fruit worm in front of it, n' T. just ignored it like it's not there. The worm even went partially under it n' still no reaction. I took the worm out and left the T. alone. What can I expect ? a molt ? What to do ? Please any kind of advice would be nice, 'couse I'd hate to see that lil' bugger die out on me now that I grew to love her/him so much :(

and pls spare me the u're an idiot comments, for I know that I've been one.
:wall:

here's the link to the pic of the damn Hunter Tehnician that got us here,

I always respected that species, n' held few as quasi pets before, guess now I'm gonna respect it even more :clap:

http://www.naturefg.com/images/c-animals/araneus-diadematus5.jpg

SavageDigital

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Person who I got it from, told me I could feed it with small bugs half it's size including small spiders,
Wow...that seems pretty thoughtless if the tarantulas safety was at all considered.

and pls spare me the u're an idiot comments,
Consider yourself spared.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
there is no telling what will become of you spiderling. It could be about to molt after such big meals. also it could be paralyzed from the fenom of the other spider. if it was bitten. not sur ehow long it takes to paralyze them .best thing is to just hide and watch. or wait and see.

Pygm4li0n

Arachnopeon
there is no telling what will become of you spiderling. It could be about to molt after such big meals. also it could be paralyzed from the fenom of the other spider. if it was bitten. not sur ehow long it takes to paralyze them .best thing is to just hide and watch. or wait and see.
Thx man, that was kinda my plan..

I don't believe the other one managed to bite it, for it's kind of weird the venom would work with 10 hour delay !? but u never know :(

is it natural that in the premolt phase T's act almost as dead ?!? (I watched it for a couple of hours, n' it barely moved one leg) :confused:

† [sandi] †

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
is it natural that in the premolt phase T's act almost as dead ?!? (I watched it for a couple of hours, n' it barely moved one leg)
that is completely normal. because the spider is so stuck in his skinn that he barely move. he almost can't move. that is why they stop eating and get to burrows and hide themselves in pre-molt.

regards

sandi

Pygm4li0n

Arachnopeon
† [sandi] †;905371 said:
that is completely normal. because the spider is so stuck in his skinn that he barely move. he almost can't move. that is why they stop eating and get to burrows and hide themselves in pre-molt.

regards

sandi
well, I could use a bit of optimism ! Thanks a Lot ! :)

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ok, well you must be grateful that your little sling is still alive.... I will tell you that the T's don't eat all days only once in a week, so give to your T one prey per week, I would recommend you to buy some worms like tenebrio to feed your little T and when it gets bigger give it roaches or crickets.

Maybe your sling is stressed due to the quarrel and for that reason it doesn't eat, so leave it alone without preys by around a week or little more, only don't forget to maintain the humidity in the enclosure.

It will be fine and in its next molt it will recover the padipalp lost.

Last edited:

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow...that seems pretty thoughtless if the tarantulas safety was at all considered.
Yea. Unfortunatly, most people think tarantulas are sitting pretty high at the top of the food chain. The indestructable, terminator-esque image they have of their arachnid pet is pretty unfounded. Considering slings can get killed by crickets, feeding it spiders was trouble waiting to happen.

To the OP. Basically you will have to wait and see what happens. Hopefully its for the best and your sling will recover and you can consider this a learning experience. It is also not recommended to feed wild caught prey to your pet. Any untold number of chemical pesticides and other toxins may be lurking in any wild caught meal, especially a predatory one. Let us know how the sling does.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
wrapped up T

You can hope the T wasnt envenomed, just wrapped up. Ill just mention, as Im sure this experience has taught, feeding spiders to your T can be risky. When I was very new to this, I threw a wolf spider in with my 3 inch birdeater, and the wolf spider was a big one. Didnt think anything of it, I assumed the T could eat other spiders in the wild. Well, it was ok, the T caught and killed the wolf spider and had a good meal. But later I realized I was possibly putting my T in danger from a big spider's fangs. Stick to crickets or roaches, its much safer for your T.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i really don't know what to say other than you have a lot of learning to do. the guy who sold you the T, didn't specify what small spiders were. (brown recluses are small spiders for instance.) hopefully your sling will recover. i hope she wasn't bitten, but then again, i don't think she was. the pedipalp should regenerate come next molt. feed the sling only one prey item at a time and feed sparingly. like maybe once a week or so. the T's will only eat when they are hungry so if the one prey item isn't taken within 24 hrs, remove it and try again a few days later. if nothing still, it could be fasting due to an upcoming molt. also, take that cotton out of there. not good for the T's fangs and bacterial growth. just continue to mist one side of the enclosure only for every few days. she'll get her water from there.

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Eek, I hope your sling makes it through this! Im gonna have to say this is partly the fault of whoever told you to feeed spiders n such. After this, remember to only feed things like crickets as mentioned, and not things found around the house- they can have parasites. Dont let this be your last try with T those. Don't be discouraged. Read around the forum a bit, Im sure you can gather some useful information. Good luck:)

Pygm4li0n

Arachnopeon
Thank you all for your insight, and wishes for recovery !

Keep your fingers crossed ! :8o

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
At that size, the only real safe option is feeding it small crickets that are ALREADY DEAD. You can stick a bag of pinheads in the freezer for a couple hours and then put the contents in a little plastic sealed tub (rubbermaid if available) and keep it in the freezer. Just pick out a dead one when you need it and drop it in the jar.

A pair of long tweezers should come in handy for picking out any dead crickets that aren't eaten in 24 hours. And this way there is absolutely no danger whatsoever. Nearly all slings will merrily scavenge dead prey.

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i) what to do now: leave it in peace, "checking up on it" every 2 hours is just gonna stress both of you out, and there's not really anything you can do.
ii) for the future, if you have access blatta lateralis is a rather meek roach species with very small nymphs. if you're stuck with small crickets, remove their hind legs before feeding them, and they will be considerably less ballsy... ;)

good luck! :D
- munis

kimski

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry to hear about your baby...

Very sorry to hear about you new baby. I hope all is well.

One thing to remember, too, is that they definitely need water, but a cotton ball is not good to put in the dish. It can collect bacteria and/or insect and prey larvae and become a hazard for your tarantula.

Just a very shallow dish for a small tarantula - with a little, tiny bit of water.... very little so that they can not fall in and drown. Some people recommend putting a small pebble in the dish, too, to ensure the tarantula and it's prey can not drown in the H2O dish.

Some tarantula keepers have good luck with just misting the sides of the enclosure depending upon the species.... for example, my arboreal tarantulas like it moist and I keep this sides of their enclosures moist. You can search the boards for the optimum watering solution. All of the people here are excellent. Good luck. Kim Ski

Pygm4li0n

Arachnopeon
Ok kind people, here's how things are..

I went away for a few days, left it in peace.

when I came back today, found the T. alive, but in a pretty much the same condition I left it in :(

it's totally reluctant to move, and react, as if it's slowly knockin' on a Heaven's door :((

is it dying ?!? or premolting ?!? It isn't on it's back, and it seems so immobile that I doubt it can actually turn over by itself :confused:

it's been like this for a week now..

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
molt or venomed

The T MAY be about to molt, but Im wondering if the T did get venomed enough to paralyze. Might be what happened, it will be your call what to do now. Still wait awhile, hoping for some kind of recovery sign? I feel bad for both you and the sling. At least you know now to not feed a sling living prey of a large size.