Heavy-bodied tarantulas

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Usually people regard body weight to be a better factor than leg span in determining the size of a tarantula or spider. For example, the Giant Huntsman has a leg span of 13 inches, but Theraphosa blondi is the heaviest spider, so it's the largest. Acanthoscurria geniculata and Grammostola pulchripes have the same leg span, 8.5 inches, but I've heard that the A. geniculata weighs more. What are some of the bulkiest tarantulas you know of?
It's also funny to note that the heaviest spider only weighs like half a pound. A rodent of the same size would easily weigh like five or six pounds. They seem so much less threatening when you realize that.

Last edited:

dopamine

Arachnobaron
P. muticus gets pretty hefty. I've heard it called the African blondi.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Usually people regard body weight to be a better factor than leg span in determining the size of a tarantula or spider. For example, the Giant Huntsman has a leg span of 13 inches, but Theraphosa blondi is the heaviest spider, so it's the largest. Acanthoscurria geniculata and Grammostola pulchripes have the same leg span, 8.5 inches, but I've heard that the A. geniculata weighs more. What are some of the bulkiest tarantulas you know of?
All the Theraphosa are the bulkiest t's to my knowledge.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
No idea, I'd guess they are very similar.
I can tell the pulchripes, and the Grammostola genus in general, have bigger fangs. Seriously, have you ever noticed how much their carapace humps over their chelicerae? They're almost as big as the fangs of the Theraphosa genus. They probably have the biggest fangs in relation to their body size. Them and Aphonopelma bicoloratum.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I can tell the pulchripes, and the Grammostola genus in general, have bigger fangs. Seriously, have you ever noticed how much their carapace humps over their chelicerae? They're almost as big as the fangs of the Theraphosa genus. They probably have the biggest fangs in relation to their body size.
My little pulchra already has beefy jaws (and she thinks everything is food).

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
T stirmi, blondi and female Lp's are some of the heaviest. King baboon and h gigas Cameroon baboons get pretty heavy bodied. It's always said that t blondi is the biggest.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
G. pulchra is a fairly thick-bodied T, but not a giant either.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Not all, T. apophysis is more leggy than bulky.
L. klugi is a thicker than average Lasiodora from what I understand.
Would it still be safe to say that it's one of the heaviest? And is stirmi actually bigger than blondi?

dopamine

Arachnobaron
Cyriopagopus sp. Sulawesi black are supposedly one of the largest arboreals in the world.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
P. muticus gets pretty hefty. I've heard it called the African blondi.
!!!!!!!! :eek: <-- Eek!

Actually are those "I hate depilatory wax" NW eight legged living among the Coke vending machines of that Southern America "Green Inferno" that envy the Goddess majesty, ruler of red earth, She that survived Boko Haram & Idi Amin Dada.
But seriously... 2017 & the Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her) still is compared/matched etc?

Horror Vacui

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
!!!!!!!! :eek: <-- Eek!

Actually are those "I hate depilatory wax" NW eight legged living among the Coke vending machines of that Southern America "Green Inferno" that envy the Goddess majesty. But seriously... 2017 & the Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her) still is compared/matched etc?

Horror Vacui
Does the P. muticus actually not weigh close to a blondi?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
It's all about the Goddess :-s

Such grace, posture, gentle calm, master of Her land, ruler of that cork bark.

Ah... my heart will cease to pump one day if She keeps me the honor to witness such exquisite visions. The Goddess cleaning herself, like the last of the humble devoted Priests.

Not even Peanut. Not even Peanut, I tell you :-s

image_52030.jpg