Heavy-bodied tarantulas

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
It's always said that t blondi is the biggest.
the largest spider is up for grabs between the whole Theraphosa genus. with apophysis generally agreed to have the largest leg span. apparently, there was a report of a MM with a 13.5" leg span a decade or so ago.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Usually people regard body weight to be a better factor than leg span in determining the size of a tarantula
That's an interesting statement. How did you come up w/that conclusion? I ask because I've always observed it was the reverse here on AB. I can only think of one time that some AB person measured the mass of their tarantulas here, yet we see bazillions of people using length as the metric for size. I can't remember the last time I saw someone mention how many grams their T was, let alone a frequent basis.

Perhaps there's some knowledge you left out in your post?

Either way, they are different measures of size as you certainly know, that tell you different things about an organism.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
That's an interesting statement. How did you come up w/that conclusion? I ask because I've always observed it was the reverse here on AB. I can only think of one time that some AB person measured the mass of their tarantulas here, yet we see bazillions of people using length as the metric for size. I can't remember the last time I saw someone mention how many grams their T was, let alone a frequent basis.

Perhaps there's some knowledge you left out in your post?

Either way, they are different measures of size as you certainly know, that tell you different things about an organism.
I assumed that's what people used, even though most people don't know how much their T's weigh. Numerous articles list Theraphosa blondi as the largest tarantula due to it being the most massive. If we were to go by legspan, then the featherweight Giant Huntsman with a 1.8 inch body is the biggest.

On an unrelated note, do you think a heavier body would be an advantage in combat against another tarantula? Do you think a blondi could defeat an apophysis?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I assumed that's what people used, even though most people don't know how much their T's weigh. Numerous articles list Theraphosa blondi as the largest tarantula due to it being the most massive. If we were to go by legspan, then the featherweight Giant Huntsman with a 1.8 inch body is the biggest.

On an unrelated note, do you think a heavier body would be an advantage in combat against another tarantula? Do you think a blondi could defeat an apophysis?
I think that's a funny assumption. I don't know a soul who knows the mass of their Ts. But I'm sure they are the minority of keepers. Re size, depends on what metric you are using ;)

For example, w/snakes. There are 2 snake species, one is the longest in the world, and the other is the most massive. They are each the largest snake in the world but with different metrics.

I don't think about combat situations between species as you wrote it. Reminds me of those ridiculous and stupid videos of people forcing different species to fight for their selfish entertainment. Humans are a pathetic species in some ways. I should have been born a tree.

However, in nature species do prey upon another, nature is a dangerous place w/out a doubt!

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I think that's a funny assumption. I don't know a soul who knows the mass of their Ts. But I'm sure they are the minority of keepers. Re size, depends on what metric you are using ;)

I don't think about combat situations between species as you wrote it. Reminds of those ridiculous and stupid videos of people forcing different species to fight for their selfish entertainment. Humans are a pathetic species in some ways. I should have been born a tree.
Those videos are upsetting. There exists a video of a P. muticus fighting a T. blondi of the same size, and the P. muticus won. Why the video hasn't been taken down, I don't understand. Though I'm sure blondi and apophysis fight in the wild all the time. They live in the same areas, so it's not unreasonable to wonder who normally wins.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Those videos are upsetting. There exists a video of a P. muticus fighting a T. blondi of the same size, and the P. muticus won. Why the video hasn't been taken down, I don't understand. Though I'm sure blondi and apophysis fight in the wild all the time. They live in the same areas, so it's not unreasonable to wonder who normally wins.
Didn't say it's unreasonable, just not something I think about ;)

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Those videos are upsetting. There exists a video of a P. muticus fighting a T. blondi of the same size, and the P. muticus won. Why the video hasn't been taken down, I don't understand.
"It's not animal cruelty unless it has a backbone." --YouTube

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
"It's not animal cruelty unless it has a backbone." --YouTube
Is that their actual policy? Because that's almost as dumb as their copyright system. Although to be fair, bug fighting videos are frequently removed from the site. I don't know if it's the channels deleting them or the Youtube staff.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Is that their actual policy? Because that's almost as dumb as their copyright system. Although to be fair, bug fighting videos are frequently removed from the site. I don't know if it's the channels deleting them or the Youtube staff.
I was just being cynical, although there is some truth in the statement: many animal cruelty laws exclude invertebrates.

Bug fighting is apparently popular in parts of Asia, and there are many such fighting videos on YouTube. I assume that if they were forcing vertebrate animals to fight, those videos would be taken down almost immediately.

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I'm pretty sure there's People who have large beetles fight each other. They fight to flip the other over though, so it's actually pretty cool.
On a side note, I doubt tarantulas leave their burrows in the wildnoften enough to encounter other tarantulas often.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure there's People who have large beetles fight each other. They fight to flip the other over though, so it's actually pretty cool.
On a side note, I doubt tarantulas leave their burrows in the wildnoften enough to encounter other tarantulas often.
That's true. In the wild some males butt heads/horns and who ever falls off is the loser hah. But at least in the above the animals aren't being killed for "sport".