Heat mat help please

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
It would be great for them to have there own tunnel network although it would suck as id never see them lol.
ROFLMAO!!!
"Daywalkers" will rarely see their burrowing scorps during the daytime. Wait a few hours after sunset and they're usually on the surface area hunting. Equip yourself with a torch, fitted w/h a red filter, or a UV torch to watch 'em moving about. Lift/remove the lid, drop a prey nearby and watch the action. ;) Its about 1:30AM here and feeding time for my collection. :)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don’t think there is much you can do about the condensation since it’s going to happen due to the room temperature cooling the glass down that’s holding a higher temp and humidity inside the terrarium. There shouldn’t be condensation around the heat source though, like a mat, since it would be heating the glass up where it is. Maybe putting heat cable in places on the outside would evaporate the water off the glass, keeping a few places clear of condensation. You might be able to find something non-toxic to rub on the inside that causes the water to bead up and roll down so that it’s at least more clear. You could also use a warm filament light, pointing it close to one side, it might warm the glass up enough there to evaporate the condensation.

david booth

Arachnosquire
ROFLMAO!!!
"Daywalkers" will rarely see their burrowing scorps during the daytime. Wait a few hours after sunset and they're usually on the surface area hunting. Equip yourself with a torch, fitted w/h a red filter, or a UV torch to watch 'em moving about. Lift/remove the lid, drop a prey nearby and watch the action. ;) Its about 1:30AM here and feeding time for my collection. :)
Yeah I'll try to find a couple of red filtered torches I can sit on the lid when I want to watch. I'm going to get that coco brick today should I use warmer water because obviously I dont want to put a cold sub in there to SAP the heat. Apparently you get loads of sub form them and they're only £3 here so can't go wrong. Like I said previously Im Looking to breed them and start of collection of different species of scorps a T'S and breed them to eventually. I read the ultra violet spectrum of light can blind them?? Is this true thanks again guys your awesome

david booth

Arachnosquire
I don’t think there is much you can do about the condensation since it’s going to happen due to the room temperature cooling the glass down that’s holding a higher temp and humidity inside the terrarium. There shouldn’t be condensation around the heat source though, like a mat, since it would be heating the glass up where it is. Maybe putting heat cable in places on the outside would evaporate the water off the glass, keeping a few places clear of condensation. You might be able to find something non-toxic to rub on the inside that causes the water to bead up and roll down so that it’s at least more clear. You could also use a warm filament light, pointing it close to one side, it might warm the glass up enough there to evaporate the condensation.
Yeah I found that no matter what I try to do the cold side starts misting up within an hour or two of wiping with kitchen roll so I leave it to condensate and then wipe it maybe three times a day. It has been been getting better and it won't take hurt them at the end of the day. If I leave the lid open maybe 10-20mm on the cold side it helps alot buti lose some heat.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Sweet I defo want to build a collection like that, g.rosea next I think if I get a turantula. Although I'd love some emporers
Most people that get "Rose Hairs" end up with G. porteri. Not that that is a bad thing but keep it in mind. Make a thread in the Tarantula section since we usually don't recommend G. porteri or G. rosea as a first Tarantula. We'll steer you on the right path ;)

On topic with Scorpions: have you considered getting any arid species?

david booth

Arachnosquire
Most people that get "Rose Hairs" end up with G. porteri. Not that that is a bad thing but keep it in mind. Make a thread in the Tarantula section since we usually don't recommend G. porteri or G. rosea as a first Tarantula. We'll steer you on the right path ;)

On topic with Scorpions: have you considered getting any arid species?
What species of scorps and TS do you have ?? And yes I would really like the arid species but the start getting smaller that the tropical species and more venomous but I would defo keep the desert hairy are there any you'd recommend ??

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I would really like the arid species but the start getting smaller that the tropical species and more venomous but I would defo keep the desert hairy are there any you'd recommend ??
Hadrurus arizonensis would be a good species for you to acquire. They can be decent sized, usually eat well, and are quite active in comparison to a lot of other species. Most of my H. arizonensis come out of their burrows almost nightly during their active season. Right now they are in diapause though so they have been hidden away since late October. They will re-emerge around late March or early April.

david booth

Arachnosquire
Yeah if I was to get any it would be arizonisis or maybe jacksoni?? I can't decide, I defo want a turantula aswell. I'm I do occasionally handle my spinifers but only occasionally, I'll back them Into a plastic deli tub and get them to walk Into my hand. But only ever with my hand Inside the tank so they can't fall.i know they don't like being handled and it stresses them but sometimes it's easier to put them in a tub then to try to work around.d them. I'm pretty good with pain but I would defo avoid handling The smaller more venomous species. I need to get my head around the heating in this tank first lmao. I've done my research but can't figure the heating out

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah if I was to get any it would be arizonisis or maybe jacksoni?? I can't decide, I defo want a turantula aswell. I'm I do occasionally handle my spinifers but only occasionally, I'll back them Into a plastic deli tub and get them to walk Into my hand. But only ever with my hand Inside the tank so they can't fall.i know they don't like being handled and it stresses them but sometimes it's easier to put them in a tub then to try to work around.d them. I'm pretty good with pain but I would defo avoid handling The smaller more venomous species. I need to get my head around the heating in this tank first lmao. I've done my research but can't figure the heating out
I advise against any sort of handling of either Tarantulas or Scorpions. Better for you and them alike.

david booth

Arachnosquire
I advise against any sort of handling of either Tarantulas or Scorpions. Better for you and them alike.
Yeah I've had them two months and only did it twice. I know they don't like it and I only do it if they're in a good mood lol. To be fair I get anxious when I hold them so I wouldn't be bothered if I never did it again haha. Holding TS is a bit different because of there hairs. But I don't want to get bitten or stung in any case. They're more of a sit back and watch kind of pet. Leave them to it in they're open little world. What do you feed your scorps??

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah I've had them two months and only did it twice. I know they don't like it and I only do it if they're in a good mood lol. To be fair I get anxious when I hold them so I wouldn't be bothered if I never did it again haha. Holding TS is a bit different because of there hairs. But I don't want to get bitten or stung in any case. They're more of a sit back and watch kind of pet. Leave them to it in they're open little world. What do you feed your scorps??
I feed all of my Tarantulas, Scorpions, Mantids, etc. crickets usually. Occasionally I will give roaches or mealworms.

Last edited:

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
David, honestly, slow down a bit. You're still having difficulties w/h housing issues, heat/moisture balance. Get these straightened out prior to getting species that need an opposite style care. Of course you can do and get what you please, can't stop you, only advise. I've been keeping scorps >2 years and started w/h C. gracilis, then into Heterometrus species. All required a heat/moisture balance and took a few months of tweaking to get it right. Most of the info was from here, All Scorpion Archives and a local long time keeper/breeder. Just be patient, one step at a time, and you'll do fine. Btw, H. arizonensis, many report molt issues, something to bear in mind. Plus as stated, another burrowing species requiring opposite care and substrate mix.

I've heard UV torches can irritate a scorpion's eyes, I use them to pinpoint their location prior to opening the enclosure. I use a headlamp equipped with red LEDs for prolonged viewing, reportedly it doesn't bother them. I've no studies to reference one way or the other on the UV blinding effect. :(

Here in the states, most shy from using heat mats, just get a space heater is their usual answer. As @basin79 pointed out, use a thermostat to regulate the heater and place it on the side, not bottom. I raise my own feeder roaches, dubia and lateralis, and both are fitted w/h "mat stats" controlling the Flexwatt heat strips. Done correctly are quite safe and more energy efficient than a space heater.
Posting a pic of a heated cabinet I built a while back, under sized now, showing mat placement and controls. On left side is a 11"X48" Flexwatt heat strip, consumes about 40 watts while energized vs 750-1500 watts a space heater uses. Makes a difference when the utility bill arrives. Lol!
On the right side is the control set up, a heat only residential thermostat that controls a contactor, feeding power to the heat strip. The control center is more complex looking than is really is. I just had the components handy and utilized then. A standard line voltage thermostat is much simpler, follow the instructions carefully and no problems. I'm also posting a pic of the thermostat I currently use, cost > $15 at local DIY centers. Temp range 40°F-85°F at +/- 2°F.

As far as the starter tarantula is concerned, I suggest reading through a few of the threads covering this in the tarantula section of the forum. Every member has his/her suggestions as the "ideal" first. Research the species suggested and go from there. (My 1st WAS a G.rosea (7/1991) that is actually a G. porteri and she is a much cherished lady.) :);):)

Attachments

david booth

Arachnosquire
David, honestly, slow down a bit. You're still having difficulties w/h housing issues, heat/moisture balance. Get these straightened out prior to getting species that need an opposite style care. Of course you can do and get what you please, can't stop you, only advise. I've been keeping scorps >2 years and started w/h C. gracilis, then into Heterometrus species. All required a heat/moisture balance and took a few months of tweaking to get it right. Most of the info was from here, All Scorpion Archives and a local long time keeper/breeder. Just be patient, one step at a time, and you'll do fine. Btw, H. arizonensis, many report molt issues, something to bear in mind. Plus as stated, another burrowing species requiring opposite care and substrate mix.

I've heard UV torches can irritate a scorpion's eyes, I use them to pinpoint their location prior to opening the enclosure. I use a headlamp equipped with red LEDs for prolonged viewing, reportedly it doesn't bother them. I've no studies to reference one way or the other on the UV blinding effect. :(

Here in the states, most shy from using heat mats, just get a space heater is their usual answer. As @basin79 pointed out, use a thermostat to regulate the heater and place it on the side, not bottom. I raise my own feeder roaches, dubia and lateralis, and both are fitted w/h "mat stats" controlling the Flexwatt heat strips. Done correctly are quite safe and more energy efficient than a space heater.
Posting a pic of a heated cabinet I built a while back, under sized now, showing mat placement and controls. On left side is a 11"X48" Flexwatt heat strip, consumes about 40 watts while energized vs 750-1500 watts a space heater uses. Makes a difference when the utility bill arrives. Lol!
On the right side is the control set up, a heat only residential thermostat that controls a contactor, feeding power to the heat strip. The control center is more complex looking than is really is. I just had the components handy and utilized then. A standard line voltage thermostat is much simpler, follow the instructions carefully and no problems. I'm also posting a pic of the thermostat I currently use, cost > $15 at local DIY centers. Temp range 40°F-85°F at +/- 2°F.

As far as the starter tarantula is concerned, I suggest reading through a few of the threads covering this in the tarantula section of the forum. Every member has his/her suggestions as the "ideal" first. Research the species suggested and go from there. (My 1st WAS a G.rosea (7/1991) that is actually a G. porteri and she is a much cherished lady.) :);):)
Wow ....Your collection is awesome. love the cabenit idea. I appreciate and respect your input. I'm no where near an expert but I've done my research. Just a bit more difficult putting it into practice and I need to get my head around it, it won't take long like you said its just abit of fine tuning with the mats and stats and stuff. In regard to the other species I would never buy an animal that I couldn't competently care for I heavily researched the tropical species needs and requirements and now I've got some. I wouldn't start researching the arid species / turantulas until my spinifers have bred because that would tell me the condidtions are perfect. I find inverts Fascinating and wouldn't be able to justify keeping them until I know that they'll be happy.

david booth

Arachnosquire
I feed all of my Tarantulas, Scorpions, Mantids, etc. crickets usually. Occasionally I will give roaches or meal worms.
Sweet I'd love some more Inverts when I read up more a out them.
I keep meaning to try to find roaches but they're hard to get hold of in the uk. What are wario worms??? I've seen them InPet stores.
Everyone I've spoken to on here has been really helpful and have taught me alot so a massive thumbs up is needed.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Sweet I'd love some more Inverts when I read up more a out them.
I keep meaning to try to find roaches but they're hard to get hold of in the uk. What are wario worms??? I've seen them InPet stores.
Everyone I've spoken to on here has been really helpful and have taught me alot so a massive thumbs up is needed.
I am not sure what a "wario worm" is, but a mealworm (Tenebrio molitor) is this: http://mealwormcare.org/life-cycle/

You feed the larvae, not the adult beetles, to your pets. I find crickets tend to be more attractive to them due to how much they move around (usually).

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks darkness, very Informative mate is there any particular reason you can't feed them the adult beetles ??
I am sure some people might but given their hard exoskeleton and their ability to give a good bite I prefer to use softer bodied prey items. Crickets and Roaches get my vote.

david booth

Arachnosquire
I am sure some people might but given their hard exoskeleton and their ability to give a good bite I prefer to use softer bodied prey items. Crickets and Roaches get my vote.
Do you think one could hurt a scorpion?? And im strugling to find small roaches I can get hold hold of mealworms, wario worms, crickets, locusts. But no roaches. Is there anything special you give your scorps as treat ??