Handling

Felix 2000

Arachnopeon
4 days ago I brought out my big female Honduran Curly Hair in hopes to photograph and ID her as she was given to me as something else. I photographed her and went to put her back. The docile floppy thing suddenly JUMPED into the air and landed with a thud on my hardwood floor before I could react. Despite my constant admisterings of water, Krazy Glue to stitch her up immediately she passed yesterday.

I want to share this so everyone knows: you cannot possibly predict the behavior of these animals. The most docile can turn on you. Walter, my super friendly B. vagans goes postal on me when I pull his water dish out (that he constantly fills with dirt and moss). My floppy floppy girl Nikki took a leap I woud have never predicted. If you must handle, handle close to a surface. I'm little, but my girl went down from about 4 feet and split like a melon.

I dont handle. But I did in this case. If I have to again, I'll do it on the floor.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Feel so sorry for the poor tarantula. Sadly you could fill a book with posts like these on here.

"I don't normally but........."

"I decided to just let my tarantula.........."

"So instead of a catch up I thought........."

"Please help my tarantula was just watching TV with me and ............."

Sadly it won't be long until Vol.2 of the book is full as no matter how many times it's said/typed/read some will choose to handle. You only have to look at the bottom of the OP's post.

"I dont handle. But I did in this case. If I have to again, I'll do it on the floor".

THERE'S NO REASON TO HANDLE.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Feel so sorry for the poor tarantula. Sadly you could fill a book with posts like these on here.

Sadly it won't be long until Vol.2 of the book is full as no matter how many times it's said/typed/read some will choose to handle. You only have to look at the bottom of the OP's post.

"I dont handle. But I did in this case. If I have to again, I'll do it on the floor".

Good catch on that last part. Sadly I've seen so many of these that, that line escaped me!

A GOOD PIC is NOT WORTH a DEATH.

WEIGH YOUR OPTIONS PPL!!....BEFORE YOU OPEN THE ENCLOSURE. STOP AND THINK FOR A SECOND!!!! [This applies to feeding/Maintenance, etc]...If you're in a rush....do it later...nothing will happen. But you need to take time. Have your tools handy, See where the spider is....etc.

Last edited:

Felix 2000

Arachnopeon

Understand. im a fairly new person in this hobby and in my sadness I posted this. I knew I would get attacked by people like you but maybe help some newbies not do what i did

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Understand. im a fairly new person in this hobby and in my sadness I posted this. I knew I would get attacked by people like you but maybe help some newbies not do what i did
We're not attacking you. We don't kick people when they are down. We just see this every single day and it saddens us as well. Just realize to NEVER do it again. Not on floor. Nowhere. Not worth it.:(

basin79

ArachnoGod
I'm not "attacking you" so behave. I'm merely stating that although you've lost your pet through unnecessary handling you still put you'll handle differently if you need too. So you've still not learnt even after this tragedy.

Also seeing as I'm hoping many, many, many others see this thread for the sake of their tarantulas being new to keeping tarantulas ISN'T an excuse for handling. If anything it's pretty much like an opposite argument. If you're new handling makes even less sense.

I don't know. Just feel for the tarantulas that have died and will continue to die because of handling.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
@basin79 does not attack people, I've never seen that trait as part of his online character. He’s saying what needs to be said. His words are more directed towards any others that choose to jeopardize their spiders by needlessly handling.

I am truly sorry for your loss, and you are new to the forum. I've lurched at this site for a long time, but only been here for about 6 or 7 months as a member, and it ridiculous how many times this needless tragedy is repeated over and over.

Last edited:

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
After you have been in the hobby for a while,it gets old seeing animals die like this.
You are not being picked on.We post what we do,in regards to your story,so that other newer keepers understand this usually ends badly,as far as handling.

You posted to make a point about handling,correct?.To warn other newer keepers not to do this,correct?.
We are reacting to your sad story,repeated to often in the hobby.

You posted,we reacted.End of story,and you learned a hard but important lesson in T husbandry.Stick around,and become a T keeper.I feel you will become that in time.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I don't think people understand that tarantulas are like water balloons. It doesn't take much to cause a rupture.

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wish the "Handling" topic could become a sticky thread. Maybe save some Tarantula lives.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I wish the "Handling" topic could become a sticky thread. Maybe save some Tarantula lives.
To be honest in this day and age where the vast majority have access to the Internet I sadly doubt it would. There's already loads of information out there regarding this but sadly it either gets ignored completely because "It's my tarantula and I can do what I want" or "I saw it on YouTube/Facebook/Instagram so it must be OK".

I don't for 1 moment believe those who handle their tarantulas have never seen the danger threads. They just think it won't happen to their's because they're "careful".

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
There is a certain Youtuber who used to NOT handle and then one day started handling on like every vid. Sad. Made me lose respect for the person.

basin79

ArachnoGod
There is a certain Youtuber who used to NOT handle and then one day started handling on like every vid. Sad. Made me lose respect for the person.
"Got to get those views no matter what!!!!!!!!".

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
To be honest in this day and age where the vast majority have access to the Internet I sadly doubt it would. There's already loads of information out there regarding this but sadly it either gets ignored completely because "It's my tarantula and I can do what I want" or "I saw it on YouTube/Facebook/Instagram so it must be OK".

I don't for 1 moment believe those who handle their tarantulas have never seen the danger threads. They just think it won't happen to their's because they're "careful".
I think media is a HUGE negative factor for this. If all the people who kept tarantulas and were on those platforms stopped or never handled their tarantulas I don’t think this would be as big of a thing.
but right now it seems that “fun” or “cool factor” trumps reason for this issue.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I think media is a HUGE negative factor for this. If all the people who kept tarantulas and were on those platforms stopped or never handled their tarantulas I don’t think this would be as big of a thing.
but right now it seems that “fun” or “cool factor” trumps reason for this issue.
Absolutely. Although much like the women who fill their lips, faces, breasts and buttocks with all many of chemicals because they've seen famous women do it on television doesn't take away from personal responsibility.

Alas the draw of "fame" is more important than anything else.