Guess that spider Pt. 2

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Ah dang, I passed over Akcaya and Sumatran as guesses. I got thrown off because the cork bark got me thinking it was semi-arboreal but the pattern got me thinking fossorial earth tigers
The line between fossorial and arboreal for some Asian species is a very gray area in captivity lol. IMO, the best way to differ the truly fossorial species from the more adaptable species that are found in the trees in situ is the size of the scopula pads at the end of the legs and the build of the legs.

Long, thin legs with wide pads at the end are the hallmark of the more arboreal species like this:
20221124_151913.jpg
20220329_171844.jpg

Whereas short and stout legs with smaller scopula pads tends to indicate those of a fossorial nature:
20210716_143327.jpg
20210716_143133.jpg

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
The line between fossorial and arboreal for some Asian species is a very gray area in captivity lol. IMO, the best way to differ the truly fossorial species from the more adaptable species that are found in the trees in situ is the size of the scopula pads at the end of the legs and the build of the legs.

Long, thin legs with wide pads at the end are the hallmark of the more arboreal species like this:
View attachment 454439
View attachment 454442

Whereas short and stout legs with smaller scopula pads tends to indicate those of a fossorial nature:
View attachment 454440
View attachment 454441
Why are your spiders always so mad at you? 😂😆😂

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Why are your spiders always so mad at you? 😂😆😂
Oh just wait..... You're going to have your own share of angry spiders as they age lol. Plus, I try not to bother my adults to get photos of them hence most of my photos of them are during rehouses, and well, they're never in the best of moods then :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: .

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Thanks for the explanation. I did notice the difference in anatomy amongst the tarantula species. When it comes to thick fossorial I imagine a chonky Citharognathus tongmianensis.

I do get lost in the differences between the terrestrial and fossorial species though. Certain terrestrial species look more like arboreals while others still are as thick as the thickest fossorials

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks for the explanation. I did notice the difference in anatomy amongst the tarantula species. When it comes to thick fossorial I imagine a chonky Citharognathus tongmianensis.

I do get lost in the differences between the terrestrial and fossorial species though. Certain terrestrial species look more like arboreals while others still are as thick as the thickest fossorials
You win! It is a juvenile Citharognathus tongmianensis 😆:
P9010017.JPG
P9010022.JPG
P9010024.JPG
Those rear legs are starting to fatten up, it's right at 3" DLS.

Anyways, your turn. Post a pic or nominate someone.

sparticus

Arachnoknight
Sure, I'll start off the guessing.
Avicularia avicularia? Do we need to figure out a morphotype too 😂?

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
No, it isn't a M# type Avic. I wouldn't do that to you.

Hint: this Avic retains its patterning when an adult.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
20230330_201337.jpg
Flash on.

20230330_120451.jpg
Flash off.

Last edited:

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Lol no one even has a guess? This is a polychromatic species and can display a host of colors depending on the lighting and angle viewed. Here's a different specimen, but same species, viewed from a different angle and lighting.
20230405_203640.jpg

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Lol no one even has a guess? This is a polychromatic species and can display a host of colors depending on the lighting and angle viewed. Here's a different specimen, but same species, viewed from a different angle and lighting.
View attachment 454675
I'd like to give someone else a chance. Is the first one of this species that you posted an adult?

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I'd like to give someone else a chance. Is the first one of this species that you posted an adult?
No, it's a 1.0 two molts from ultimate, but the 0.1 (which is the last picture) looks the same when viewed dorsally with a bright flash.
Here's another of the 0.1, but this time from yet another angle and lighting setup.
20230330_185121.jpg

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
No, it's a 1.0 two molts from ultimate, but the 0.1 (which is the last picture) looks the same when viewed dorsally with a bright flash.
Here's another of the 0.1, but this time from yet another angle and lighting setup.
View attachment 454676
That's cool. So what do you think is adult size for these - 5" DLS?

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
View attachment 454675
I have no idea so I'm letting someone else take a guess. Might be able to narrow it down once some hits go off. 😆