greenhorn to baby scorpions

ArachnoAddic808

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well i went to my first reptile expo and bought two tarantulas, so the guy hooked it up with four free scorpions!! Thing is i don't know how to take care of scorpions this small. Smaller than my fingernail. Smallest crickets i can find in town are like the same size or bigger. I've owned a striped tail and an emperor, but i don't even know what species these are!

If you guys could please give me some insight.

And you could identify them for me too plz.

If anyone can identify these that be awesome. These are the four scorpions i got for free for getting the irminia and regalis!!!
They came labeled as

CG

TA(i know that these get darker as the get older, and end up black)
]

BJ

TS(Dude told me that when it hits maturity it produces offspring without mating. If there's any truth to that i do not know)

Roy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My 2 cents:

1)Centruroides gracilis

2)Not too sure, but sounds like Tityus aesthenes from the black adult description

3)Babycurus jacksoni

4)Tityus stigmurus. This one is worth quite a bit (along with the aesthenes if I am correct).

For the seller to offer you 4 scorplings that cost $15-$40 each as adults for free, he must be really nice.

Congratulations on the additions, they are really beautiful!!

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My 2 cents:

1)Centruroides gracilis

2)Not too sure, but sounds like Tityus aesthenes from the black adult description

3)Babycurus jacksoni

4)Tityus stigmurus. This one is worth quite a bit (along with the aesthenes if I am correct).

For the seller to offer you 4 scorplings that cost $15-$40 each as adults for free, he must be really nice.

seriously, those are some sweet freebies

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree the ID's being the most likely species. THey are all types of bark scorpions and will need a piece of bark or some other verticle surface to molt on. The tityus are also pretty nasty scorpions. You really don't want to get stung by them. I'm not talking about a "wish you were dead" sting I'm talking about a possibly DEAD for real sting. Nice pick ups, but I'd never give those species away, especially poorly labled as they are, and too a novice keeper. Good luck with them. THey are very cool scorpions.

Tityus stigmurus are parthenogenic, meaning they can give birth to young with out mating. Basically clones of the mother. I wouldn't be surprised if all the Tityus stigmurus in the US are female.

You can feed the tiny guys prekilled crickets. Plus they can take fairly large prey items.

John

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just to reiterate what John said, be careful with the T. stigmurus please. Great freebies btw! :)

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Anyone giving Tityus species away to people who have no experience with scorpions, should have his head examined.

Since almost all members of the subgenus Atreus (of the genus Tityus) are variegated when young and black as adults, the label T.asthenes is nothing more than a guess. But, since there have been recent imports into the US of T.asthenes from Peru, it could be T.asthenes. Could be.
Both T.asthenes and T.stigmurus are dangerously venomous. You can feed them small live crickets or pre killed bigger ones, but live food is preferred.aybe you can order microcrickets in a local pet storen. Try to get these, so you can feed them live prey.

Nr. 3 is indeed B.jacksoni and Nr.1. I can see it is a scorpion, but that is about it, quality of the picture too poor.

Anyway, great gifts! These species do not have very special needs and should be easy to take care off, if you do your homework a bit. These species are kept in the hobby, so you should be able to dig up enough info or ask questions here on AB.

Cheers, Michiel

ArachnoAddic808

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree the ID's being the most likely species. THey are all types of bark scorpions and will need a piece of bark or some other verticle surface to molt on. The tityus are also pretty nasty scorpions. You really don't want to get stung by them. I'm not talking about a "wish you were dead" sting I'm talking about a possibly DEAD for real sting. Nice pick ups, but I'd never give those species away, especially poorly labled as they are, and too a novice keeper. Good luck with them. THey are very cool scorpions.

Tityus stigmurus are parthenogenic, meaning they can give birth to young with out mating. Basically clones of the mother. I wouldn't be surprised if all the Tityus stigmurus in the US are female.

You can feed the tiny guys prekilled crickets. Plus they can take fairly large prey items.

John
THX man thats exacty what i was looking for!!!
Anyone giving Tityus species away to people who have no experience with scorpions, should have his head examined.

Since almost all members of the subgenus Atreus (of the genus Tityus) are variegated when young and black as adults, the label T.asthenes is nothing more than a guess. But, since there have been recent imports into the US of T.asthenes from Peru, it could be T.asthenes. Could be.
Both T.asthenes and T.stigmurus are dangerously venomous. You can feed them small live crickets or pre killed bigger ones, but live food is preferred.aybe you can order microcrickets in a local pet storen. Try to get these, so you can feed them live prey.

Cheers, Michiel
Hey man in his defense, he read me an knew i don't play around and can handle these guys just fine with some research. And if you read my first post thru, im not someone with no experience, i had a lvl 2 before and when i was just a kid. So y not step it up now. :D I was just looking for some info on taking care of BABY SCORPIONs. But i do appreciate your advice, thx man you sound like you know your stuff.

My 2 cents:

1)Centruroides gracilis

3)Babycurus jacksoni

Yeah he was pretty cool
And thx im pretty sure you are 100 percent right
seriously, those are some sweet freebies
Awesome thx

Just to reiterate what John said, be careful with the T. stigmurus please. Great freebies btw! :)
Will do man

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I did read your post, which triggered my reaction to it :)

Yeah,

you're so experienced that you need to ask around how to take care of them :rolleyes:
And the guy who gave you these is also a trained psychologist/profiler? Because he was "sizing you up" and all, and he thought, well, he has no clue what to do with them, BUT, let's give him some highly venomous scorpions???? Come on!:embarrassed:

I'll trust you'll be okay and that you do your research, but I was responding primarily to the fact that that person gives away highly venomous scorpions to someone he does not know and of whom he does not know (knowing that it will be allright is something different than thinking it will be alright) what kind of experience he has. I would never do such a thing.

For the love of god, what is a lvl 2 and why should I be impressed that you have experience with them?? No clue what you are talking about :) LOL

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
jacksoni are nice feeders. will kill and eat anything their size or smaller. same with the CG, c. gracilis. unlike baby tarantulas, scorpions are pretty good eaters. I'd equate them with LP's :)

grats on the freebies. I would have killed to get those for free.

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Edit: settle down
He said he has some experience and he does. I'm just glad he asked for help and is enthusiastic about his new pets. No need to extend this further :rolleyes:

Last edited:

felmor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
be careful with Tityus stigmurus.. I heard it is now being study to put it level 6. :)

RyoKenzaki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
be careful with Tityus stigmurus.. I heard it is now being study to put it level 6. :)
Any link for it?
Being a lvl6 mean they are more potent than a Deathstalker, if the Deathstalker venom rate still remain at lvl5...
Anw categoring them by lvl isnt as accurate as LD50 value so what exactly does the lvl6 mean haha {D

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Isn't the whole level thing more of a hobby construct? I figured that it was more of a way for hobbiest to catorgorize scorpion stings, not anything a scientist or researcher would use,

I also think the shock is more that a dealer would have a potentially dangerous scorpion available labled simply TS. And them give that scorpion away to a relitivly novice keeper. I think if you are going to carry medically significant scorpions, you should at least have the correct ID on them.

JOhn

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't need to settle down, because I was not worked up :D Jeez, some of you people really can't handle feedback if it is not brought to you in a "kumbaya my lord manner". If you debate in a direct manner, you are immediatly asked to settle down, or be carefull not hurt someones feelings, and that your 'mean'. :barf: Maybe it is because I am European, that I am direct, but some of you really have big toes. Maybe I shouldn't have used the rolling eye smiley?
You can't seem to say anything here, without the tree hugging hippiesquad jumping all over you. :D The people that reacted this way don't seem to grasp the seriousness of the matter here.

Anyway, it is not a personal attack to the OP (strange that I have to explain this again, because this should be clear to the good readers) because he did the right thing and started asking questions here. GLADLY.....
Some of you VERY YOUNG padawans (I am kidding here, no attack :D) should study the venomosity of the Tityus species mentioned in this thread. Let's see how you feel after that ;)

Finally, there wasn't any flaming, personal attack or anything, so YOU settle down, please :D

Regards, Michiel

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm just glad he knows what he has now and can deal with them appropriately.
You gave him some good info, too.
By the way, I'm not a very good tree hugger ;)

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Read this thread
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=182820&highlight=desert+hairy
A joke, but knowing a dealer gave away an unlabled, unlooked for T stig shows how it could happen. When dealing with HOT species dealer ignorance and lack of common since is unexcusable. At least in this case the OP is actually getting the correct info. and doing the research.

PS. Can't sleep, sorry if I'm kicking the dead horse. :eek:

John

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm just glad he knows what he has now and can deal with them appropriately.
You gave him some good info, too.
By the way, I'm not a very good tree hugger ;)

LOL, then we can shake hands, I am not good at it either :D Maybe when I get older.......
Btw, one member of our Royal family is a renowned tree hugger, she claims that she can even talk with them....funny stuff....