Greenbottle pic. Blue leg, green leg.

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
thanks Gary

Gary,
Thanks, but I don't have one yet. I've basically come to the realization that I really only want the more docile ones. My thoughts on this, are that, if I'm the slightest bit apprehensive of something, there's a very good chance it won't get the care it needs. Not to mention, how can something be enjoyable, if you're scared of it?
A good case in point; a very good friend of mine sent me a H. maculata. Granted, it was probably more frightened of me, but it made me so nervous, that is was getting to the point where I was starting to be frightened of it. So, not wanting to just give it to anyone, I did want to make absolutely certain that it would have a home where its appreciated, and where it would be given the best possible care. So, I gave it to Joy.
I was so relieved that it would have a good and loving home, that I paid the postage on the baby. Granted, they are a spectacular t. However, for myself, its not for me. Being that I'm sticking to the more docile, calm t's, there aren't that many more I'll be getting. (Its about 3.)

Peace,
Gillian

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
naked butt t's

Gary,
I'm with you on the naked butts. It makes me feel bad, like I've been tormenting the poor things. My smithi has never been handled by me. Not because she's aggressive, but because she has a perpetually bald rump. The room my t's and my scorp are in is closed off from the house. However, I think the crickets are stressing her.

Peace,
Gillian

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Re: you can handle them...

Originally posted by Phillip
Gillian
Handling greenbottles isn't a problem. They don't bite and although they are flighty when young once they become big fat adults they slow down quite a bit. You still do need to be careful though as I wouldn't rule out one bolting off of your hand onto the floor.
Phil
This is my experience, too. I like them as a demonstration spider, because they are beautiful enough to win over even anti-spider people :)

Joy

Last edited:

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Re: Re: you can handle them...

Originally posted by Joy
This is my experience, too. I like them as a demonstration spider, because they are beautiful enough to win over even anti-spider people :)

Joy

Joy,
WOW! Are they ever! Allright everyone, you've won me over..;)

Peace,
Gillian

p.s. btw Joy, how's the "family heirloom"? *lol*

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: you can handle them...

Originally posted by Gillian
Joy,
WOW! Are they ever! Allright everyone, you've won me over..;)

Peace,
Gillian

p.s. btw Joy, how's the "family heirloom"? *lol*
Thriving like the green bay tree ;)

Joy

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
showstopper

Ya its a show stopper :D
I have never kept one just based on the premise that they are so nasty jumpy and quick to nail someone. Strange thing is now that I have been reading more from tarantula groups and from fourms like this I am begining to see alot of T's get a huge bum rap ... anyone care to chime in on who gets the worst rap ... HEY! A loose cricket ... come back here you bastard!

cricket hunting-
E.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Re: showstopper

Originally posted by looseyfur
I have never kept one just based on the premise that they are so nasty jumpy and quick to nail someone.
Definitely not the case for the Greenbottle. Mine will run like a little girl and then grab the cricket from the tongs, but I have a hard time seeing it try and actually bite anyone.
Strange thing is now that I have been reading more from tarantula groups and from fourms like this I am begining to see alot of T's get a huge bum rap ... anyone care to chime in on who gets the worst rap
I'm not really sure I can answer that. Before I discovered the online community, what I knew of the different Ts I knew from books or keeping them. I still have yet to run into a flesh and blood person in my day to day life that also keeps Ts, never been much opportunity to swap rumours and bad reps.
Authors of T books, not surprisingly, tend to love Ts, so they tend to report on them in a fairly balanced manner. Then when I discovered the online community, we're all nuts, so again, not so much of a bad rap for any particular species. If someone says a T is evil, it just means what it says, not anything negative.