greenbottle blue fangs stuck in molt

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I dont even think the fangs are all that went wrong with this molt. This tarantula looks like it got stepped on :anxious:

malinbjorg

Arachnopeon
Good point. Worst case scenario, it still dies. Best case scenario, it survives and maybe even recovers. But unfortunately OP seems nervous to try surgically removing the molt, and rightly so. In the event it doesn't work, it could cause the T some unnecessary pain/stress before death. Not sure how well the poor thing can still move, but OP said it was a skittish specimen. But besides letting things pass naturally or euthanization, it really seems to be the only other option.

I'm still quite curious as to what that white substance is on the left legs though.
i really dont know what that white substance is...i saw it the day after the molt

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
i cant get the molt of and hes not getting better...what should i do?
I'm not sure that much can be done, but maybe some other members will have some ideas for you to try.

I noticed when attempting to perform similar surgery (for a much worse molt) that putting a little water on the old, stuck exoskeleton made it easier to work with.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
@cold blood this almost appears like a wet molt to me. This seems exactly like the wet molt my A. avic had, where she looked just like this GBB, and she had 2 of her legs stuck in the molt.

malinbjorg

Arachnopeon
I'm not sure that much can be done, but maybe some other members will have some ideas for you to try.

I noticed when attempting to perform similar surgery (for a much worse molt) that putting a little water on the old, stuck exoskeleton made it easier to work with.
i can try with more water. i used small drops but it just seemed like they were falling of the old exoskeleton

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
i can try with more water. i used small drops but it just seemed like they were falling of the old exoskeleton
Do you have any tiny scissors? You may be able to cut the old exoskeleton off without damaging the new chelicerae. (Be careful!) If you can work a thin piece of metal under the old exoskeleton, you may also be able to open it in a method similar to opening crab legs (where you gently put upward pressure on the old exoskeleton from beneath until a crack forms, slide down a bit, and repeat the process to lengthen the crack).

malinbjorg

Arachnopeon
Do you have any tiny scissors? You may be able to cut the old exoskeleton off without damaging the new chelicerae. (Be careful!) If you can work a thin piece of metal under the old exoskeleton, you may also be able to open it in a method similar to opening crab legs (where you gently put upward pressure on the old exoskeleton from beneath until a crack forms, slide down a bit, and repeat the process to lengthen the crack).
can i flip it over so it would get easier to get a grip on the old molt? or would it just stress him?

malinbjorg

Arachnopeon
i was able te get the molt of. it took a bit of time and a lot of patience...but i think it went pretty good. now he's resting in a dark and quiet room. he drank some water as well

Attachments

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
i was able te get the molt of. it took a bit of time and a lot of patience...but i think it went pretty good. now he's resting in a dark and quiet room. he drank some water as well
Yay! Looks like the hardest part is over. Fingers crossed for the little guy, and that there's a happier ending than I was initially expecting. All things considered, his fangs don't look as bad as I thought they would.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Congratulations. So often these bad molts are death sentences...I hope it recovers well.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
For the benefit of those who may find this thread while researching a similar problem, what tools and technique did you use to get the exuviae off the jaws and fangs?