Good first aggressive t?

Crispy9168

Arachnopeon
Ok... So I know I keep posting random questions, but I figured I'd get some more experinced opinions on this. I'd like to start expanding my tarantula collection and I want to start getting more aggressive t's. I've heard obt's are really good as a first aggressive/ow t, but I wasn't sure. Any suggestions? Side note: I've "tarantula proofed" my room, so speed isn't an issue (it's a big, flat, empty space... Nothing to get lost under, no way out). Also, I'm a military medic/EMT with a fully stocked aid bag, so medical significance of the venom doesn't matter.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
OW: P. murinus (OBT)... quick, defensive... yet they're tolerant just enough.

NW: I have found that the Cyriocosmus genus are quite nervous and readily attack the thongs.

Military, what branch?

Rue

Arachnoknight
...not to be flippant...but when you do get your Tarantula...and move it from one enclosure to another...be sure to post a picture.

I want to see what the military looks like in a T-proof room engaged in offence...or defence...whatever it turns out to be...{D

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I want to see some buff guy run, screaming, down the hall because an OBT bit him.. lol.. It's not so much it getting loose as it is capturing it and not getting bitten in the process..

Crispy9168

Arachnopeon
...not to be flippant...but when you do get your Tarantula...and move it from one enclosure to another...be sure to post a picture.

I want to see what the military looks like in a T-proof room engaged in offence...or defence...whatever it turns out to be...{D
Lol I'm national guard, so my room is at home. I don't think anyone from my unit would allow even my redknee near them, let alone an obt.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's always unnerving when you first deal with a defensive and flighty T. {D My first was P. murinus. I would also recommend H. maculata if you want to try some teleporting.

Crispy9168

Arachnopeon
I want to see some buff guy run, screaming, down the hall because an OBT bit him.. lol.. It's not so much it getting loose as it is capturing it and not getting bitten in the process..
Honestly the camel spiders are worse. No venom. So it just grinds your flesh. Bites are a big infection-ridden hole. I had to train for that.

Crispy9168

Arachnopeon
I was NG myself...

---------- Post added at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

I have seen one for myself...
what mos? Also, how are they? I've heard camel spiders are horribly aggresive in the wild

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For first aggresive tarantula I suggest A. geniculata. It is NW t, it grows fast, its big, it is very hungry. Mine is about 8cm (3.5 inches) LS and it atacks ANYTHING. Thongs, paintbrush, food, even water when watering the plants. My thongs were grabed few times and bitten hard, same goes for everything else so I don't want to get it near my hands. ;P

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
OW: P. murinus (OBT)... quick, defensive... yet they're tolerant just enough.

NW: I have found that the Cyriocosmus genus are quite nervous and readily attack the thongs.

Military, what branch?
Those little dwarfs are into thongs, huh? {D

My first defensive/flighty T was an OBT. He or she is such a wuss. I haven't seen one threat display. However, my P. cancerides is MEAN.

--Dan

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 PM ----------

For first aggresive tarantula I suggest A. geniculata. It is NW t, it grows fast, its big, it is very hungry. Mine is about 8cm (3.5 inches) LS and it atacks ANYTHING. Thongs, paintbrush, food, even water when watering the plants. My thongs were grabed few times and bitten hard, same goes for everything else so I don't want to get it near my hands. ;P
It appears A. genics are anti-thong, or are they?{D

Am I missing something? Do you mean tongs?

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes, sorry for a typing mistake. It is a bit late here allready and haven't noticed. :D They are anti tongs :D

Crispy9168

Arachnopeon
11bang bang {D

yeah they are skittish and don't wander around much, but they hide in places. ;)
Hooah (all the way!)! Well mine's 68w. mainly because I'm a terrible garrison soldier. Not enough physical s
activity. And yeah I know they like to hide in places like boots, sleeping bags, anywhere warm. They have a nasty bite, tho. I could probably take care of an obt bite a lot faster than a camel spider bite. Smaller chance of infection too...

Johnny1320

Arachnopeon
My gf's brother just graduated NG and got stationed in Texas. When he was here over the holidays he was telling us about the camel spiders they had to learn about. Are they as big as they say?

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
...Here we go with the stupid same nonsense. :wall:

Rob1985

This user has no status.
My gf's brother just graduated NG and got stationed in Texas. When he was here over the holidays he was telling us about the camel spiders they had to learn about. Are they as big as they say?
ya mean BCT? lol

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My fiance was 11B and try as he may, he couldn't catch one because they were so fast. He usually saw them wandering at night. He had to convince (unsuccessfully) a medic that they were not venomous and didn't eat your legs while you slept. :} Camel spiders aren't really too big. We have our own right hear in the U.S. but they are smaller species. I believe the larger species only get up to a 6-7" leg span and that's big for a solifugid. We deal with tarantulas bigger than that!

Anyway, back to the topic of the thread, it seems OBT was one of the first defensive Ts of many people that have commented. All that have been mentioned are fine to start with but it really depends on your comfort level.