Good begginner arachnids?

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ehh I want open possibilities. Iam thinking that the blue bottle green tarantula is probably the best for me. I do like tarantulas that have that "combed" look. You know? Like their hairs arent up like a cactus. I was showed this blue one with white stripes and th is black one with orange stripes. I was into true spiders but they dont last too long. So Iam back at tarantulas. I think my parents couldnt handle a scorpion. I probably couldnt either IAm afraid of being stung. Also arent they extremely sedentary?
I just got my first scorpions recently & they are pretty cool :)

Got 3 V. spinigerus, extremely cheap little guys. Really tiny, maybe 2" bodies? Maybe 3" if you include the tail straightened out. All three of mine are living in a 2.5gal tank.

They have burrows setup under several pieces of slate, but I actually see them out quite a bit, usually in early to mid mornings. Hunting, digging, bumping into each other, etc.

One of the things that attracted me to this species was their low toxicity & they aren't to quick to sting. I've messed with mine a bit & it seems to be true. Not to say they won't, but I haven't yet to see mine try to sting when I was unpacking them or doing anything in their tank.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As far as I know, yes. TalonAWD (same name on youtube) even has tutorials showing how he builds his cages-it's much more labor intensive than most setups, but I think the final product is more than worth the effort he puts in.
I guess. I just didnt want a plain set up. I always see a simple simple set up=Water dish, rock, hide out, food dish. Thats about it. :/ I wanted to incorporate atleast my imagination on it.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There's scorpions that are a lot more deadly than a Tarantula ( Ts aren't deadly) , true....but if you get the common Pandinus Imperator, I don't see there being any problem. They do burrow but they show their face occasionally...atleast mine does...Or you could find a species that doesn't burrow and is more active.

Funny how your parents can't handle something that can't climb the sides of the tank nor move fast, but they'll let you get a lightening fast tarantula that can climb glass. lol.....

Go with the Green Bottle Blue.........
My parents are extremely extremely irrational and ignorant. I cant even have a friggin snake because and I quote "A snake is from the devils creation". :/ Sure Iam catholic and all but I find it bs to see that snakes are "bad" they are animals. Thats about it. Anywho yes I like the green bottle. But Iam afraid of their speed actually. ITs why Iam taking my time deciding this. Iam quite nervous in general of what I want to get. I want something that fits my wants.
Wants:
-Active
-Nice looking(in my eyes)
-Cheap<---I could work with it if its expensive.

Needs
-Not aggressive
-Easy to keep(no random deaths. Like If iam doing everything right I dont want to come some day and find it dead for no reason. I dont mind if its old. But like randomly dying then yeah)
-Not dangerous
you know the obvious stuff. I can work around the activity as long as its not hiding. Thats my main deal. I had frogs before. They ALWAYS hid.

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My parents are extremely extremely irrational and ignorant. I cant even have a friggin snake because and I quote "A snake is from the devils creation". :/ Sure Iam catholic and all but I find it bs to see that snakes are "bad" they are animals. Thats about it. Anywho yes I like the green bottle. But Iam afraid of their speed actually. ITs why Iam taking my time deciding this. Iam quite nervous in general of what I want to get. I want something that fits my wants.
Wants:
-Active
-Nice looking(in my eyes)
-Cheap<---I could work with it if its expensive.

Needs
-Not aggressive
-Easy to keep(no random deaths. Like If iam doing everything right I dont want to come some day and find it dead for no reason. I dont mind if its old. But like randomly dying then yeah)
-Not dangerous

you know the obvious stuff. I can work around the activity as long as its not hiding. Thats my main deal. I had frogs before. They ALWAYS hid.
Gotta get a Grammostola pulchra.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lol, Scoolman always recommending the G. Pulchra...
Oddly enough I like them too. Their color and body looks like an ant. Which in fact are one of my favorite invertebrates out there. So I would think about that. But what makes me go more for the blue bottle even though they are fast. They are active which I would like. Because then I wouldnt be sitting there going in my head "common..... COMMON MOVE! EXPLORE THE GRAND ENVIRONMENT IG AVE YOU DANG IT." xD I used to do that with these frogs I got that were supposed to be active(fire belly toads). All they did was hide. xD I got so annoyed cause I had like friggin 5 of them in a 20long tank.

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The bigger the cage you have the less likely you will see your Tarantula move once it settles in I would think. But then again, I don't know my Tarantulas are in moderate sized cages. I would get some others thoughts on that though. Also G. pulchra are very good beginners are quite beautiful and docile.

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You could look into getting a small group of Hissing Roaches (Gromphadorhina sp). You might like them because:

-they're very low-maintenance
-can't sting and won't bite, no venom (therefore more easily handled)
-can be kept communally
-breed easily
-don't need live food
-they look cool
-come in different species and color forms (mahogany, all black, tiger pattern)

I don't mean to detract from T's..... I'm just trying to give the OP more options as far as inverts go.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You could look into getting a small group of Hissing Roaches (Gromphadorhina sp). You might like them because:

-they're very low-maintenance
-can't sting and won't bite, no venom (therefore more easily handled)
-can be kept communally
-breed easily
-don't need live food
-they look cool
-come in different species and color forms (mahogany, all black, tiger pattern)

I don't mean to detract from T's..... I'm just trying to give the OP more options as far as inverts go.
My parents hate roaches. we'ved seen really huge roaches. The only roaches I dont really hate are giant burrowing roach aka queensland roach? I was watching this youtube video of this british guy. The videos called "giant burrowing roach" His roach got preggerz. And his daughter named them. If I kept a roach the offsprings would probably must be fed to my turtles. Because my parents would freak if there are a ton of them. I only like the burrowing roach cause it reminds me of a beetle. Personally I like beetles, but they dont live too long. I like millipedes but they arent as appealing to me as a tarantula. I talked to my parents once about roaches they gave me this weird glare. xD

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My parents hate roaches. we'ved seen really huge roaches. The only roaches I dont really hate are giant burrowing roach aka queensland roach? I was watching this youtube video of this british guy. The videos called "giant burrowing roach" His roach got preggerz. And his daughter named them. If I kept a roach the offsprings would probably must be fed to my turtles. Because my parents would freak if there are a ton of them. I only like the burrowing roach cause it reminds me of a beetle. Personally I like beetles, but they dont live too long. I like millipedes but they arent as appealing to me as a tarantula. I talked to my parents once about roaches they gave me this weird glare. xD
I also watched a video about that species, though the one that I saw involved the owner making it walk through a kids' race car track. I think they're hard to get here in the US..... and when you can get them, they can be pretty expensive. I saw one for sale in a forum for $100.

There are also other cool-looking arachnids that are available, such as Vinegaroons, Tail-less Whipscorpions (Amblypigids), as well as predatory insects such as mantids.

PhobeToPhile

Arachnoknight
Scoolman: Pulchras. The answer to all your beginner tarantula wants.

Deku: The one problem you might have with the Green blue bottle is that it is a very heavy webber. Anyone have any idea on how much time GBBs spend outside of their webs once they finish building them?
Edit: Scratch that, looks like that question got answered in the other thread.

Last edited:

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I also watched a video about that species, though the one that I saw involved the owner making it walk through a kids' race car track. I think they're hard to get here in the US..... and when you can get them, they can be pretty expensive. I saw one for sale in a forum for $100.

There are also other cool-looking arachnids that are available, such as Vinegaroons, Tail-less Whipscorpions (Amblypigids), as well as predatory insects such as mantids.
Thats the one I was watching too. xD I did'nt like how he made it go through a race track. But over all it was nice looking. I like mantids but they only live about a year. I like centipedes but Iam scared of them. There was this arachnid that I saw somewhere. It was a desert species. It looked like a spider. I THINK it had 6 legs? It had I think 3 eyes its colors was sandy brown. Iam try looking it up.
Edit: Egyptian solifugid I think its what its called. I like its body but it scares me buttless.
I looked up vinegaroons. I like how they look. Somewhat remind me of an ant(I love ants). I like that burrowing roach too. But I dont want to spend more than a 100bucks in one first shot then to have it come sick to my house and die within the day(Ihad this happen to me with orders online. They never replaced it).

Last edited:

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Scoolman: Pulchras. The answer to all your beginner tarantula wants.

Deku: The one problem you might have with the Green blue bottle is that it is a very heavy webber. Anyone have any idea on how much time GBBs spend outside of their webs once they finish building them?
Edit: Scratch that, looks like that question got answered in the other thread.
I dont remember seeing that on another thread. Ived been mainly looking at my threads. Actually as weird as it sounds I like pulchras too. As for the blue bottle green being a heavy webber. Does it mean if I give it a 3foot long terrarium would it use it all?

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
3 foots too big for a GBB. You want it to be able to find it's food.

PhobeToPhile

Arachnoknight
Someone mentioned them not hiding too much in your thread on the true spider board. As for cage use...I dunno.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
3 foots too big for a GBB. You want it to be able to find it's food.
Iam confused. Don't tarantulas in the wild live in large spaces? I just wanted to provide a large space for the animal Iam keeping. Not only would that be good for it but also it would provide enough room to make a nice looking set up.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I saw this thing called a "camel spider" i think its a sufologid? (I spelt that wrong I bet!) it was adorable but creepy.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm going to throw you a completely different idea...

An Indian mudskipper. They stay smallish, 3-4". Currently I have 2 living nicely in a 10gal tank. It's a fish that's semi aquatic. Mine have a thick sand base with just a small pool, no filtration needed. Or you could do more water with a lot more rocks. Since your tank is also tall, you could probably get some young mangroves to put in there.