Golden Red Rump

Dementeddoll

Arachnoknight
Yeah I've done my research on them. I know those apes uses are just for keeping in their containers. Especially the cobalt. Highly aggressive spiders that need at least 6 inches of soil so they can make their burrows. Yeah I'm trying to see some guy I met has access to all of them and he said he'll hook me up with 40 bucks being the highest price. And he only lives like 15 minutes from me so it's local as well.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Especially the cobalt. Highly aggressive spiders that need at least 6 inches of soil so they can make their burrows.
Better 9 or 10 inches for a juve/adult specimen, but you can add more. The less you have to "move" them, the better for you. The sooner they are in their "final enclosure", the better for them.

Obligate burrowers IMO shouldn't be re-housed or etc too much, aside for serious issues :-s

* defensive

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
if you just got into tarantulas, you should hold off from any OW species. (Africa, Asia, Australia)

Dementeddoll

Arachnoknight
Yeah but I figured everyone started off like me and that's why I joined this thread for help.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
I'd just like to give you my personal story about jumping to higher level Ts..

Many many moons ago, (approximately 10 years ago), I was introduced to the hobby via my father, who kinda forced a G. rosea on me, when I was a 13 year old kid. I am forever grateful for this present, because without it, I wouldn't be here 10 after. I had no idea how to care for it. I relied on my dad's advice (which was surprisingly on point, even though he'd never had a T).. Anyway, I grew fond of the little creature and as months went by, I got a desire to get more. I had no idea about which species are out there, but I assumed that there were more. I had no unlimited internet priviliges so I couldn't really google tarantulas and learn about them.. One time I was driving with my parents, and I noticed a sign for a coming reptile expo near me. I just had to go.. I was 14, determined to check out T's. I went by bus, on my own expense ( i mean seriously how much money does a 14 year old kid have), bought a ticket and went inside. There were a bunch of Ts.. I looked around and found a P.regalis, and just could not look away. I asked the guy how to care for it and such, and bought it. In my childish ignorance, I bought a Pokie as my second spider at the age of 14. The regalis is still alive btw, but I had to learn the hard way. I was in waaaay over my head. I was dealing with a completely different spider. I realized that, after I got more and more into Ts and found this forum. Anyway I do not regret anything regarding my childish ignorance, but don't make the same mistakes I did. I strongly suggest you get comfortable with the easy Ts before you "go" to Asia, Australia and Africa, as was previously stated. Get comfortable with your Ts to the point where you won't need to ask such basic questions. I mean no offense by that, mind you. It's great that you ask. But species such as poecilotheria, heteroscodra etc.. do need a higher knowledge and respect.. and by respect I mean respect for their temper and venom..

Please don't take this as an attack. This is merely my personal story and how my eagernes and ignorance caused me many many problems when I began. Good luck with your albiceps and please do consider my advice. It will save you plenty of trouble and the hobby will be more fun for you, when you won't panic at everything and will know how to handle various situations.

LZ

Last edited:

Dementeddoll

Arachnoknight
No offense taken at all. I'm glad you guys are giving me feedback. You're right though. The guy I bought these from had a orange baboon but I had already done my research on them and I told him no thank you as I know they are super fast and highly aggressive. Heck even he himself told me he hadn't cleaned the enclosure in like forever cuz it would just lunge at him. As far as Brazilian black, I've owned I know they're docile. Just these two new ones which is the Chaco gold knee and the golden red rump. Chaco seems fine actually kinda seems pretty straight forward. As far as the sling goes I've never owned one but just figured heck 10 bucks for a smithi was quite cheap.

cold blood

Staff member
Unlike Led Zepplin, I was an adult when I got my first. Mine was also kind of forced upon me (it was bought to be thrown at someone, and I rescued it from that fate). I kept strictly new worlds for 10 years before I started to get old worlds, as a result, the transition was seamless. I'm so glad I did this, because otherwise I might have skipped right past a lot of really, really cool new worlds that are not only a blessing to own, but really helped me learn a lot about various tarantula behaviors.

The diversity of new world tarantulas is simply amazing, there's no hurry (or good reason) to jump in over your head as a beginner. The hobby will be a lot more enjoyable, if its not stressful. I suggest waiting as long as you can before getting old worlds, and when you do make the transition, start with old world terrestrials. Ts like regalis should be your ultimate goal, and not ones you need to race toward, they aren't going anywhere.

I also suggest learning the scientific names and ditching those common names. Common names just aren't accurate and often share names. If you buy a t, and don't get a scientific name, you may never really be sure what you have. Learning scientific names also really helps with understanding a lot of different things, like care, as most species within the same genus, have the same or very similar care.

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
i own numerous OW tarantulas and i can say that i prefer NW arboreals over everything. check out Avicularia, Tapinauchenius, and Psalmopoeus.

cold blood

Staff member
i own numerous OW tarantulas and i can say that i prefer NW arboreals over everything. check out Avicularia, Tapinauchenius, and Psalmopoeus.
I've never had taps, but avics and Psalms are definitely 2 of my all time favorite genera.

And here's another thing...back when I started out, I had zero interest in Avics, but a lot of interest in species like H. lividium....now, as an experienced keeper, its those Avics I love...and I would probably not even take a free lividium.

I always tell people that one benefit to going slow, is that as you lean more and more about them and all the different species, as many of those species you found irresistible when you started out, are very different from the ones you are delighted by once you have experience. Until you really have experience, you're just guessing about what you like, after you have enough experience, you will actually know what you like. Beginners are inherently drawn by colors more than anything, and that's about the worst way to pick your next species.

Dementeddoll

Arachnoknight
I don't plan on getting any soon. I just came upon these by luck and thought 10 bucks was about a good deal especially when they came with their exoterra mini enclosures. And the brachyphelma Smithi last night I saw it and I've always wanted one. Ever since I was a kid I wanted one of those so I figured 10 bucks for a sling if it does make it to adult hood would definitely have been worth it in the long run. I wanna transition it to a smaller enclosure but I'm so scared I might hurt it with my big ass hands .

cold blood

Staff member
I don't plan on getting any soon. I just came upon these by luck and thought 10 bucks was about a good deal especially when they came with their exoterra mini enclosures. And the brachyphelma Smithi last night I saw it and I've always wanted one. Ever since I was a kid I wanted one of those so I figured 10 bucks for a sling if it does make it to adult hood would definitely have been worth it in the long run. I wanna transition it to a smaller enclosure but I'm so scared I might hurt it with my big ass hands .
Definitely move it, those enclosures they come in are brutal.

I'd suggest just a simple condiment cup, half filled with substrate, and ventilated around the sides with a ring of 4 or 5 pin holes. I also add a hole or two on the lid, just to combat any condensation. Keep part of the substrate moist, but not wet, and feed pre-killed crickets or mealworm 1/4ths or 1/3rds once a week. When small, they're appetites aren't spectacular and it doesn't take that many feedings to fill their little abdomens. Also keep in mind, its typical for a little smithi to get really really plump between molts.

Don't use your fingers and you won't have to worry about how big they are:) Take the top off, or just cut the top half off (the necked down design is really poor for removing the specimen or doing any kind of work). From there just guide it out into the condiment cup with a tweezers or a stick or a straw...be gentle and don't be spooked by fast little bursts of speed. A lot of times they hold and hold and hold, then all at once bolt ahead and its important to keep steady hands when this happens. Moving it should be a very simple and quick procedure, I doubt you will have any real issues doing it.

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just a sidenote, I don't believe anyone mentioned it: Balding is NOT a sign of premolt, only that your tarantula has been kicking hairs, or rubbing them off (they sometimes intentionally rub them off around the molting mat, hence the misconception) as it was moving around the enclosure.