Glutton For Punishment!

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Joined
Nov 3, 2002
Messages
2,117
Well, I must be a glutton for punishment, as I just got done ordering a Usambar Baboon (Pterinochilus murinus orange phase)and a Burmese Black (Haplopelma aureopilosum) from Kelly Swift. I can't wait until they arrive!

Big Dragonfly
 

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 21, 2002
Messages
1,373
hey

you are also going to get a freebie!! Dont forget about that! i love opening spider packages!!! Good Luck!!

James
 

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Joined
Nov 3, 2002
Messages
2,117
Yeah, well...I'm thinking about going out and getting an extra set of tongs for opening these packages...

Oh yeah, and a question to anyone who will answer:

Should I keep my Pterinochilus murinus and Haplopelma aureopilosum) in the vials they come in? Or should I get them some 2.5 oz deli cups?

Big Dragonfly
 

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Joined
Nov 3, 2002
Messages
2,117
Oh yeah. Joy, do you have any pics of youself holding either of these species -- or genuses? I've seen the P. regalis pic. So I was just wondering.

Big Dragonfly
 

TypeO-

Arachnopeon
Joined
Nov 2, 2002
Messages
47
Depending on how big they are, if they are under 1" I'd leave em in the vials. If they're a little bit bigger go with the deli cups
 

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Joined
Nov 10, 2002
Messages
296
that's awesome Big Dragonfly.. I'm planning to order a Malaysian Earth Tiger (Cyriopagopus thorelli) and a Indian Violet (Chilobrachys fimbriatus) from Kelly yep.. i love the freebie!
 

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Joined
Oct 12, 2002
Messages
903
Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
Oh yeah. Joy, do you have any pics of youself holding either of these species -- or genuses? I've seen the P. regalis pic. So I was just wondering.

Big Dragonfly
I tend to prefer deli cups to vials , as I find it easier to add and remove prey.

Here's a picture of me holding a Haplopelma sp. "longipedum", but first the disclaimer: most Asian spiders are thought to have very potent venom. Their temperament tends to be highly defensive. I would not recommend handling them to anyone. The specimen in the picture possesses an unusually laid-back temperament, possibly because he's a mature male and in the process of being mated (I have found most males in this situation to be more tractable than their immature counterparts). Kids, don't try this at home! :)

Joy
 
Last edited:

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Joined
Nov 10, 2002
Messages
296
Do you have a female Haplopelma sp. "longipedum", Joy? if you do, post a picture of you holding it....:D
 
Last edited:

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 27, 2002
Messages
1,442
Originally posted by Joy
I tend to prefer deli cups to vials , as I find it easier to add and remove prey.

Here's a picture of me holding a Haplopelma sp. "longipedum", but first the disclaimer: most Asian spiders are thought to have very potent venom. Their temperament tends to be highly defensive. I would not recommend handling them to anyone. The specimen in the picture possesses an unusually laid-back temperament, possibly because he's a mature male and in the process of being mated (I have found most males in this situation to be more tractable than their immature counterparts). Kids, don't try this at home! :)

Joy
ROFLMAO

Don't worry Joy, I doubt I'll be sticking my hand in any Haplopelma cages any time soon!

Botar
 

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Joined
Oct 12, 2002
Messages
903
Originally posted by Theraposa
Do you have a female Haplopelma sp. "longipedum", Joy? if you do, post a picture of you holding it....:D
All right, but remember the disclaimer on the former message applies to this one, too :)

Joy
 
Last edited:

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 13, 2002
Messages
1,123
Joy,
I swear, you really are the spider whisperer..:)

Peace,
Gillian
 

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Joined
Nov 10, 2002
Messages
296
Originally posted by Joy
All right, but remember the disclaimer on the former message applies to this one, too :)

Joy
wow! haha I don't know what to say :) but why is her abdomen so small? what awesome T.. how did you get her out from her cage? by the way... have you ever pet their legs before? :)
 

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 15, 2002
Messages
1,202
Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
Yeah, well...I'm thinking about going out and getting an extra set of tongs for opening these packages...
Just unpack the box in the bathtub, then it's easy to catch escapees. I've unpacked Haplopelmas and Usambaras, it's not that scary.
 

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 19, 2002
Messages
304
Ive unpacked a pokey with no probs, as well as a T. blondi. Just do it in the bath, and do it quick. Take the bugger by surprise.
 

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 19, 2002
Messages
292
Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
Should I keep my Pterinochilus murinus and Haplopelma aureopilosum) in the vials they come in? Or should I get them some 2.5 oz deli cups?

Big Dragonfly [/B]

When I ordered from Kelly, he made sure that the thirteen spiderlings would have room to grow to approximately three times
their size and consequently included 7.5 dram vials-usually he ships in 3 dram vials... Type to Mr.Swift and see if he'll hook you up, BD.



John
 

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Joined
Nov 3, 2002
Messages
2,117
Originally posted by johns
When I ordered from Kelly, he made sure that the thirteen spiderlings would have room to grow to approximately three times
their size and consequently included 7.5 dram vials-usually he ships in 3 dram vials... Type to Mr.Swift and see if he'll hook you up, BD.



John
Eh, I work in a restaurant that carries 2.5 oz deli cups. I don't think anyone will mind if I take a couple.
 

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Joined
Sep 27, 2002
Messages
1,258
Originally posted by Joy
All right, but remember the disclaimer on the former message applies to this one, too :)

Joy
Once again, you make me doubt my manhood. I wonder if you're wearing that welding mask outside the rest of the photo ;)

Bill
 

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Joined
Nov 3, 2002
Messages
2,117
Joy, How do you psych your self up to hold something with such an evil reputation for the first time? Also, I have not been able to find any substantial bite reports from these African species. I have found bite reports on this site, as well as on Phong's Tarantulas!. Do you know of any other sites?
 
Top