Give me some advice on first Pampho

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey guys...If you haven't noticed, I've been adding to my experience pool as well as my list of Ts by quite a good margin in the past half year.

Anyways, I've gotten some pokies and other more irretable terrestrials lately. But I'm interested in getting some Pamphos as I've heard they are large and beautiful.

Anyways...I'm pretty ignorant about the variations of species. Could you guys help enlighten me please?

Just as an fyi: yes I've searched, but haven't found much on which species would compare/contrast with other species within the genus.

Thanks for any help and advice!

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
First of all its Pamphobeteus and not Pampho:)

I would suggest Pamphobeteus antinous, Pamphobeteus fortis, Pamphobeteus petersi

Enomegra

Arachnopeon
P. ultramarinus is my top pick for the genus. I love them all and have 6 species but ultramarinus just wont be shaken from my #1.

This is our big female.

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
P. ultramarinus is my top pick for the genus. I love them all and have 6 species but ultramarinus just wont be shaken from my #1.

This is our big female.
Oh my. I have never seen this species before...it's stunning! Are these in ready supply? Are they expensive? What's the maximum dls?

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
First of all its Pamphobeteus and not Pampho:)

I would suggest Pamphobeteus antinous, Pamphobeteus fortis, Pamphobeteus petersi
How did you know it was Pamphobeteus? Exactly... Same way I did! :?

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
How did you know it was Pamphobeteus? Exactly... Same way I did! :?
Pamphobeteus, Avicularia looks so much better than pampho, Avic Avic, B. albo, H mac, H. Liv ect ect.

Enomegra

Arachnopeon
Phormictopus and Xenesthis are both comparable in the pattern and colour department to Pamphobeteus.

Presuming you are hoping for a female in the end, choosing the species with the most attractive females is usually a wise choice unless you are happy to just collect an entire genus. In the case of nice females across the above three Genera I would suggest the following.

-Pamphobeteus ultramarinus (Overall black, bright purple on carapace, cobalt blue femur, purple hue to leg hairs)
-Pamphobeteus fortis (Overall brown, purple on carapace)
-Pamphobeteus sp. platyomma (Overall brown, orange on carapace. underrated species IMO)

-Phormictopus cubensis (Gold carapace with pinkish copper legs)
-Phormictopus atrichomatus (Very similar to P. cubensis)
-Phormictopus cancerides cancerides "Purple Phase" (Hard to find but amazing purple across whole body)

-Xenesthis immanis (Overall black, purple on carapace)
-Xenesthis intermedia (Overall black, purple on carapace)

Enomegra

Arachnopeon
Pamphobeteus, Avicularia looks so much better than pampho, Avic Avic, B. albo, H mac, H. Liv ect ect.
Kind of subjective dont you think? I have 6 species of Pamphobeteus, 3 of Phormictopus, and 2 of Xenesthis and love all of them. Are there more colourful Genera and species? Sure but that hardly makes Pamphobeteus any less of a great Genus to keep. And Avic avic is hardly the Avicularia species to use in comparison. P. ultramarinus beats A. avic hands down in colour.

Enomegra

Arachnopeon
Oh my. I have never seen this species before...it's stunning! Are these in ready supply? Are they expensive? What's the maximum dls?
Here in Canada they are not terribly common and fairly expensive. I think I payed $550 for a 5.5"-6" Female. There is one a 2" Female on TarantulaCanada.com for $350. Upon browsing this forum it seems that the price and availability of them in America is about the same as here. So they are pretty expensive and not super easy to come by.

As for size they are of the smaller Pamphobeteus species and max out at about 5.5"-6"

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Pamphos are my personal favorites. I've got platyomma, nigricolor, s Ecuador, antinous and am looking to get fortis and ultramarinus next summer.

They always want to eat and the MMs look awesome!

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Kind of subjective dont you think? I have 6 species of Pamphobeteus, 3 of Phormictopus, and 2 of Xenesthis and love all of them. Are there more colourful Genera and species? Sure but that hardly makes Pamphobeteus any less of a great Genus to keep. And Avic avic is hardly the Avicularia species to use in comparison. P. ultramarinus beats A. avic hands down in colour.
Lol this wasn't anywhere close to what he was saying {D

He meant Avicularia Avicularia looks better than avic avic.

Pamphobeteus looks better than Pampho.

He was talking about the abbreviations, not the spiders lol :D

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

Heh!!! I still say nitpicky!

Enomegra

Arachnopeon

Lmao right you are. I guess I didnt notice that since it was kind of a pointless thing to say to begin with.