Give me some advice on first Pampho

Enomegra

Arachnopeon
First of all its Pamphobeteus and not Pampho:)
You sure you didn't start with that?

I just grow weary of the unwarranted negativity I see every day. Using an abbreviation is hardly cause for correction.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You sure you didn't start with that?

I just grow weary of the unwarranted negativity I see every day. Using an abbreviation is hardly cause for correction.
I agree! These nitpicky folks make it hard to be enjoyable! That's why most of my time is spent on a little selective group of folks on Facebook. Not one iota of nit pick there and if you want to call it a Pampho... You are more than welcome there because "we" know what you are talking about!

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for all the information to those who shared some interesting tips.

As far as the abbreviation...it's the internet. If the point is to be understood, abbreviations work just fine for me. Besides, I like the words Pokie and Pampho. I also to use GBB. It's faster than typing Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens. Eh? So long as you understand, then it's all gravy. So long as my terms are not ambiguous I'm happy.

Enomegra

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the information to those who shared some interesting tips.

As far as the abbreviation...it's the internet. If the point is to be understood, abbreviations work just fine for me. Besides, I like the words Pokie and Pampho. I also to use GBB. It's faster than typing Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens. Eh? So long as you understand, then it's all gravy. So long as my terms are not ambiguous I'm happy.
Well said. I hope something we offered helps you make a decision on a species in this great genus.

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well said. I hope something we offered helps you make a decision on a species in this great genus.
Thank you! Unfortunately, I have decided to get them all! lol...However, I'm going to do some searching over the recommendations made in this thread and try to figure a "best" first Pampho. We'll see...hmm...

brian abrams

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
First Pampho

Not the best one to give advice on the subject because I don't have any! These are also on my wish list. But I don't necessarily recommend Xenethis and Phormictopus as alternatives. Xenethis are at the higher end of spectrum money wise, and have a rep. of being nasty hair throwers. Phormictopus are inexpensive, but are just plain Nasty! The Pampho's are supposedly very colorfull, true "gentle giants".

Enomegra

Arachnopeon
Your are not wrong about the aggression in Xenesthis and Phormictopus. One of our nastiest girls is a big P. canceredes my wife has aptly names "Purple People Eater" and our most bald bottomed girl is our X. intermedia.

I would not say that Pamphobeteus are "gentle giants" though. They are certainly not the most aggressive T's but they are not all sunshine and buttercups. Our P. sp. “platyomma” is a grumpy hag and our P. ultramarinus is incredibly skittish. I do not think she would bite per se, but I do not trust her outside of her enclosure. Our two P. sp. "Machalla" are the most "calm" of the lot and I only say that because they do not move.... at all..... lol. But I believe they are very capable of aggression if they were less frightened. Our two P. antinous are extremely aggressive and that is no understatement. It took me nearly a half hour to rehouse our biggest girl when we got her from our friend. With all the striking and posturing it is no wonder I got her out of her tank at all.

Ultimately if you are looking for "friendly", don't choose Pamphobeteus. They are not known for their well mannered nature at all.

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Purple-People-Eater = Good 1! *Tee-Hee*

Your are not wrong about the aggression in Xenesthis and Phormictopus. One of our nastiest girls is a big P. canceredes my wife has aptly names "Purple People Eater" and our most bald bottomed girl is our X. intermedia.

I would not say that Pamphobeteus are "gentle giants" though. They are certainly not the most aggressive T's but they are not all sunshine and buttercups. Our P. sp. “platyomma” is a grumpy hag and our P. ultramarinus is incredibly skittish. I do not think she would bite per se, but I do not trust her outside of her enclosure. Our two P. sp. "Machalla" are the most "calm" of the lot and I only say that because they do not move.... at all..... lol. But I believe they are very capable of aggression if they were less frightened. Our two P. antinous are extremely aggressive and that is no understatement. It took me nearly a half hour to rehouse our biggest girl when we got her from our friend. With all the striking and posturing it is no wonder I got her out of her tank at all.

Ultimately if you are looking for "friendly", don't choose Pamphobeteus. They are not known for their well mannered nature at all.
Since owning Pampho's myself, I have wondered bout' the "GENTLE GIANTS" tag :cool:
I have held a few adult Pamphobeteus specimens during re-housing, and did not receive any aggression, or notice defensiveness - except for the 6" Platty female {D {No longer in collection}
I was Not a chicken bout' holding a "Chix Spider", but I will not Plan to hold any GIANTS again.........Unless their name starts w/ Lasiodora :p

GL to All those working w/ in the Genus :) It's an impressive 1!

P.S. Is a "Gateway Gecko", a Leopard ? :p

Enomegra

Arachnopeon
Crested Gecko :D

We were on of BC's biggest breeders of them for years but we traded our entire collection for about 100 T's so I guess it is more of a gateway into inverts for us lol. Now we are acquiring more rare gecko species and of course T's to breed. When we got into cresteds we could sell a gecko for no less than $100 and frequently sold them for $400 + as our stock was very high end. But now the market has fallen through the floor and we have no intention to breed "disposable geckos".

Well enough of our life story lol.

Viva le Tarantula!

brian abrams

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

Thanks for the great info. I learned a little more about Pampho's. They don't call these South American giants bird eater for nothing!

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Gateway Gex

Crested Gecko :D

but we traded our entire collection for about 100 T's so I guess it is more of a gateway into inverts for us lol. Now we are acquiring more rare gecko species and of course T's to breed.
I have done the same w/ most of my Reps.....What helped me "Jump" in the Hobby of T's again....

I had a great time years ago working w/ the Satanic Leaf-Tail Gecko - Uroplatus Phantasticus :evil:

and common in Morroco, but Not in the trade much anymore: The Helmeted Gecko - G. -or- T. Chazaliae I beleive

They always try to bite and almost always scream @ ya :p

Also: there is now an Albino-line of crested gex - so maybe that will pull ya back in ;) GL w/ your new ventures!