Give Me A Hitlist

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I know this is also heresy... but I'm not all that into genics. I mean I already have a Nhandu chromatus, and the biggest difference between the two that I can see is the carapace. I enjoy the cream colored carapace more though.\
The two are very different from what I've heard and seen. The genic is much stockier and has a significantly better feeding response, while the chromatus is lankier and ganglier. It also has a nastier attitude than the genic and kicks hairs more. There are actually a lot of tarantulas with similar colors, come to think of it. The LP and B. albopilosum, B. boehmei and A. bicoloratum, etc.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Tapinauchenius would be a nice and more challenging addition maybe :) lovely satiny colours and, apart from the zappiness, a nice temperament with T.gigas being more defensive.
If you do get one of these be careful they are extremely fast and flighty Ts, take extra precaution when rehousing.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
The two are very different from what I've heard and seen. The genic is much stockier and has a significantly better feeding response, while the chromatus is lankier and ganglier. It also has a nastier attitude than the genic and kicks hairs more.
This isn't always the case, do you own both of these species? My female N. chromatus is one of my best feeders and although the genics tend to sport a larger carapace they are not quite as beautiful, the red and white contrast plus the white carapace is stunning, the A.geniculata is just a more bulky species.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
If you do get one of these be careful they are extremely fast and flighty Ts, take extra precaution when rehousing.
Already told him that, no need to create fear. I think people are overly cautious sometimes when it comes to this genus. They're made out to be evil speedies, but really, they're just FAST. Not out to kill someone by being quick, or even hellbent on escaping. There are true spiders being kept that are way faster, and you don't hear keepers say 'better not get them' or 'be super-careful with these'.
Like I said earlier, just minimize the escape routes by using the bag method for instance. Like with other spiders, check where it is before opening the enclosure, and keep an eye on it during maintenance.
Yes, they are wicked fast. But that's all. Except for T.gigas, they are not overly defensive, generally speaking. I don't understand why this genus gets such a bad reputation because they are fast.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Already told him that, no need to create fear. I think people are overly cautious sometimes when it comes to this genus. They're made out to be evil speedies, but really, they're just FAST. Not out to kill someone by being quick, or even hellbent on escaping. There are true spiders being kept that are way faster, and you don't hear keepers say 'better not get them' or 'be super-careful with these'.
Like I said earlier, just minimize the escape routes by using the bag method for instance. Like with other spiders, check where it is before opening the enclosure, and keep an eye on it during maintenance.
Yes, they are wicked fast. But that's all. Except for T.gigas, they are not overly defensive, generally speaking. I don't understand why this genus gets such a bad reputation because they are fast.
Yeah I've been around my fair share if trues... including wrangling several large Heteropoda sp. back in Taiwan.
Yes, no issues. They are faster than a rosea mind you. A bit like a GBB.
Sounds ideal.

This isn't always the case, do you own both of these species? My female N. chromatus is one of my best feeders and although the genics tend to sport a larger carapace they are not quite as beautiful, the red and white contrast plus the white carapace is stunning, the A.geniculata is just a more bulky species.
That's what I had read as well, though of course, individuals vary.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
So the local-ish reptile show is coming up in about 2 weeks. I have some things in mind, but I want some more opinions.

Here are the requirements/preferences:

-New World (I can handle any NW, and I'm theoretically ready for OW, but I have a 6 year old sister and don't want to risk anything)

-At least one large display t, I have an empty ten gallon I want to put together into a nice display

-Hopefully cheaper t's so that I can buy as many as possible lol, but this isn't a requirement if there are some truly awesome and slightly "higher end" species.
Treat yourself to a nice P.antinous sling, beautiful Ts, they are on the expensive side but it's well worth it. They are a species that eats like Theraphosa's and can double in size from each molt in the sling stages. The great thing about this species is that the male is a beautiful black and blue whereas the females sport a dark black color with red hairs on the abdomen, oh and they get huge! It's a win win :)

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I would go with a Pamphobeteus species. I have 2 and they are some of my favorites! Personally, I love the look of platyomma. There are "relatively" inexpensive for a pampho and grow to be 7-8". Fast growth, great feeding response, and is a nice display. Plus, if you get a male, they mature out into beautiful purples and pinks, with females being a light brown with pink highlights. As long as you keep the sub moist, they are some of my fav T's :D May be a little pricey, but well worth it.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I'd love to see this set up!
Just one of my larger arboreal sling containers, filled it halfway with sub then added a hide/starter burrow and anchor points for webbing, it's made a little den in between the leaves of the plant.

DSC00004.JPG
DSC00005.JPG
(little bugger was up by the lid so had to wait for it to stop teleporting all over the shop to open it up and get a pic, one of the rare occasions I've seen it on the ground)

Interesting, so sort of like T. ockerti when it comes to "semi-arborealness".
Apparently these are only arboreal as slings/small juvies and then burrow once they get bigger whereas I think T. ockerti switches between arboreal/terrestrial depending on whether it's the wet or dry season.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
@BobBarley she's eaten 4 large adult crickets and 3 adult locust in the last week, I know if I try tonight she'll eat again.
Another Grammostola to consider is actaeon it eats and grows just like iheringi only mine isn't skittish either, only downside I don't think they get as big

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Treat yourself to a nice P.antinous sling, beautiful Ts, they are on the expensive side but it's well worth it. They are a species that eats like Theraphosa's and can double in size from each molt in the sling stages. The great thing about this species is that the male is a beautiful black and blue whereas the females sport a dark black color with red hairs on the abdomen, oh and they get huge! It's a win win :)
Indeed, definitely gotta get more Pamphos...

I would go with a Pamphobeteus species. I have 2 and they are some of my favorites! Personally, I love the look of platyomma. There are "relatively" inexpensive for a pampho and grow to be 7-8". Fast growth, great feeding response, and is a nice display. Plus, if you get a male, they mature out into beautiful purples and pinks, with females being a light brown with pink highlights. As long as you keep the sub moist, they are some of my fav T's :D May be a little pricey, but well worth it.
Platyomma is verrrry nice, lol so many choices!!

Just one of my larger arboreal sling containers, filled it halfway with sub then added a hide/starter burrow and anchor points for webbing, it's made a little den in between the leaves of the plant.

View attachment 235797
View attachment 235798
(little bugger was up by the lid so had to wait for it to stop teleporting all over the shop to open it up and get a pic, one of the rare occasions I've seen it on the ground)

Apparently these are only arboreal as slings/small juvies and then burrow once they get bigger whereas I think T. ockerti switches between arboreal/terrestrial depending on whether it's the wet or dry season.
Interesting. I had also read that they need a somewhat arboreal setup to breed.

@BobBarley she's eaten 4 large adult crickets and 3 adult locust in the last week, I know if I try tonight she'll eat again.
Another Grammostola to consider is actaeon it eats and grows just like iheringi only mine isn't skittish either, only downside I don't think they get as big
Jeeeeeez that's a lot. What's your iheringi's legspan?

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
@BobBarley around 6.5 maybe slightly larger. She's the largest in my collection for now as I have a Pamphobeteus sp mascara female in pre moult who most likely will end up larger this time

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
@BobBarley around 6.5 maybe slightly larger. She's the largest in my collection for now as I have a Pamphobeteus sp mascara female in pre moult who most likely will end up larger this time
Nice man... Really? I just happen to have a HIGHLY suspect male sp. Mascara
downloadfile.jpg

Haven't seen a molt, but if it's not male my mind will implode.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice man... Really? I just happen to have a HIGHLY suspect male sp. Mascara
View attachment 235819

Haven't seen a molt, but if it's not male my mind will implode.
It looks male to me. I actually paid good money for a juvenile male sp mascara about 2 months ago they 1 of the more expensive Pamphobeteus in the uk I paid 4 times more for either of mine than my sp machalla

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
It looks male to me. I actually paid good money for a juvenile male sp mascara about 2 months ago they 1 of the more expensive Pamphobeteus in the uk I paid 4 times more for either of mine than my sp machalla
Wow, I got mine in a sweet trade. Although, I have seen slings (2" or so) go for around $200.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
How come nobody mentioned G. pulchra? It's my favorite Grammostola.

Edit: in fact, it's my favourite NW species.
I didn't suggest it because they're slow growers and a bit difficult to find as females.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow, I got mine in a sweet trade. Although, I have seen slings (2" or so) go for around $200.
That's a pretty sweet trade. If I remember correctly I paid £55 ($68) for the sling that turned out female and £60 ($74) for the juvenile male based on today's exchange rate. I think more people should keep this species I actually find them to be really beautiful in their own way

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
That's a pretty sweet trade. If I remember correctly I paid £55 ($68) for the sling that turned out female and £60 ($74) for the juvenile male based on today's exchange rate. I think more people should keep this species I actually find them to be really beautiful in their own way
Yeah, they go for way more here. Agreed, very very beautiful.

Psalmo irminia is cool.
Any fuzzy nhandu sp.
what about tappies?
Yup, all on the list (although I have a Nhandu chromatus already). Cambridgei is above irminia though, really love that mossy green. Hoping to pick up a T. gigas too.

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
G. Pulchra
G.rosea
B.smithi
G. Pulchripes
E.campstraseus
T.strimi
P. Sazimai
B.boehmei
D. pentalore
GBB