Give Me A Hitlist

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
I'd heard of this beforehand so made a semi-arboreal setup with a few inches of sub for if it felt inclined to burrow and some fake plants as anchor points if it felt inclined to stay off the ground, it hasn't burrowed at all and opted to make a web den in one of the plants.
I'd love to see this set up!

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Trade out your sister for some OWs, I guarantee you'll be happier ;)
Hah, I'll consider it...

Here's one for you

Large- YES, largest in the genus, males 6", females larger.
Fast grower- YES
Pretty - YES
Display- YES
Excellent Eater- YES

Species G. iheringi
Interesting... Care like that of any Grammostola?

I didn't see any genics :D
I know this is also heresy... but I'm not all that into genics. I mean I already have a Nhandu chromatus, and the biggest difference between the two that I can see is the carapace. I enjoy the cream colored carapace more though.

Definitly, get an iheringi. Large, fluffy, and much more active than your average Grammostola.
GBB is a given
I'd also second Y. diversipes - rainbow colors.
If you don't have a P. cambridgei yet, that one is a must, too. :)
Haha, yes another diversipes would be awesome. P. cambridgei is also on my list, the mossy green color is vvvery tempting...

A. geniculata
A. seemani
B. vagans
C. cyaneopubescens
G. iheringi *
H. colombia sp. l/s
N. incei gold/olive
N. tripepii
P. cambridgei
P. pulcher
P. sazimai
T. ockerti
Nice list, thanks! My last Hapalopus sp. "Columbia Large" matured into a mm. Want a couple more lol. Already have 4 incei slings lol. Everything else on that list is a go. However, I had heard that P. sazimai is a somewhat high-altitude species... My house gets pretty warm in the summer (low 90's during the day), do you guys think it'd be alright?

I'd heard of this beforehand so made a semi-arboreal setup with a few inches of sub for if it felt inclined to burrow and some fake plants as anchor points if it felt inclined to stay off the ground, it hasn't burrowed at all and opted to make a web den in one of the plants.
Interesting, so sort of like T. ockerti when it comes to "semi-arborealness".

Aphonopelma chalchodes
Brachypelma albiceps
Brachypelma albopilosum
Brachypelma auratum
Brachypelma boehmei
Brachypelma emilia
Davus pentalore
Euathlus Sp. red
Grammostola iherengi
Grammostola pulchra
Grammostola pulchripes
Lasiodora klugi
Nhandu tripepii
Pterinopelma sazimai
Another great list... I already have 2 Euathlus sp. red slings (which are growing glacially slow :depressed:) and a penultimate male Grammostola pulchripes, but again, everything else is on the table. I enjoy the look of Davus pentalore...

Thanks guys! :)

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
I know this is also heresy... but I'm not all that into genics. I mean I already have a Nhandu chromatus, and the biggest difference between the two that I can see is the carapace. I enjoy the cream colored carapace more though.
The biggest difference between the two is behavioral. A genic has a larger attitude and has a much better feeding response than a N. chromatus IME.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Yeah I recently gave mine a rehouse, she needed it. I gave her a nice hide too, no interest in it. She hasn't used it at all, except to store cricket boli in it.

I agree on the eating. I thought my AF B. albo was a cricket compactor until my iheringi came along. Since she was a large sling (they are large slings) she's always eaten a lot and frequently. One of the few Ts I have that will readily take a dead cricket. She eats 3-6 large crickets in a single sitting, eats them all. Goes right back to it 2 days later. The interesting part is despite all the crickets she does eat, she doesn't put on the same bulk as others do. I knew that ahead of time, but still have no idea where she puts all that food.
Maybe because this species is more 'active'? 'Active' being used loosely of course...

Vezon

Arachnopeon
I keep my G. iheringi the same way I keep my other Grammostola/Brachypelma stuff. Just dirt, a hide which it will never use, and a big water dish.

Here's a picture that I just took of mine. (phone pic so not that great looking).

basin79

ArachnoGod
Brachypelma Smithi. A must have in my eyes.

Caribena Versicolor. Unbelievably gorgeous and my lass is out most of the time.

Last but not least Megaphobema Mesomelas. Absolutely stunning T. Unbelievable.

I love all my T's. But from mine that's what I'd recommend.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
You should definitely a female Brachypelma albopilosum! They aren't very colorful, but they're super awesome NW T's!

If you can get a ahold of a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens. You can never have enough GBB's!

I know you said you weren't into a OW T's right now, but look into a Harpactira pulchripes. They're beautiful and on the docile side for a baboon species.

Then a more rare one. If you can find a Eucratoscelus pachypus female, get one! I had a female years ago and she was docile, albeit flighty. Never got a single threat posture from her!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Tapinauchenius would be a nice and more challenging addition maybe :) lovely satiny colours and, apart from the zappiness, a nice temperament with T.gigas being more defensive.

On the E.cyanognathus, mine is ~2 inches in legspan and is in her burrow during the day but out in the evening and at night. Beastly eater!
I'm with you on the Brachypelma, they aren't my favorites as well, but that could also be because I am the most sensitive to their u-hairs and my B.smithi flicks at everything. Neighbour closing a door loudly? Flick. Me talking to a spider three stories up from her? Flick. I am surprised she doesn't have a bald spot yet...

Edit
If you like dwarf species, Ami sp or Theraphosinae sp could be a nice addition as well.

Last edited:

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Tapinauchenius would be a nice and more challenging addition maybe :) lovely satiny colours and, apart from the zappiness, a nice temperament with T.gigas being more defensive.

On the E.cyanognathus, mine is ~2 inches in legspan and is in her burrow during the day but out in the evening and at night. Beastly eater!
I'm with you on the Brachypelma, they aren't my favorites as well, but that could also be because I am the most sensitive to their u-hairs and my B.smithi flicks at everything. Neighbour closing a door loudly? Flick. Me talking to a spider three stories up from her? Flick. I am surprised she doesn't have a bald spot yet...
Ohhhhhh yeah! Tapinauchenius gigas are great little T's! I am +1 for a T. gigas! :cool:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
You should definitely a female Brachypelma albopilosum! They aren't very colorful, but they're super awesome NW T's!

If you can get a ahold of a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens. You can never have enough GBB's!

I know you said you weren't into a OW T's right now, but look into a Harpactira pulchripes. They're beautiful and on the docile side for a baboon species.

Then a more rare one. If you can find a Eucratoscelus pachypus female, get one! I had a female years ago and she was docile, albeit flighty. Never got a single threat posture from her!
E.pachypus sure is flighty! Mine makes my Gbb and T.violaceus look like snales to be honest. Although she settled down a bit since she got her burrow started, thank god. I really had to be careful when opening/closing her enclosure!

basin79

ArachnoGod
Now you did mention an old world but where worried about your sister. What about a Idiothele Mira? Yes you won't see it really but you'll have a beautiful trapdoor tarantula.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Brachypelma Smithi. A must have in my eyes.

Caribena Versicolor. Unbelievably gorgeous and my lass is out most of the time.

Last but not least Megaphobema Mesomelas. Absolutely stunning T. Unbelievable.

I love all my T's. But from mine that's what I'd recommend.
I would agree with everything you said, except the smithi. So convince me otherwise. ;) Also, is megaphobema another high-altitude sp.? My house gets into the low 90's in the summer and I can't think of a way to cool it down (cheaply and efficiently).

I'd love to get an H. pulchripes and an E. pachypus (and a balfouri for that matter), but still very scared something may happen... I mean better safe than sorry right?

Definitely, I think it would be fun to own a t that has mastered the art of bending space and time to its will.

E.pachypus sure is flighty! Mine makes my Gbb and T.violaceus look like snales to be honest. Although she settled down a bit since she got her burrow started, thank god. I really had to be careful when opening/closing her enclosure!
And that right there is why I'm hesitant to get an OW... Even the ones that are usually beginner OW can have individuals that are more flighty/defensive than the norm for the species.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I would agree with everything you said, except the smithi. So convince me otherwise. ;) Also, is megaphobema another high-altitude sp.? My house gets into the low 90's in the summer and I can't think of a way to cool it down (cheaply and efficiently).

I'd love to get an H. pulchripes and an E. pachypus (and a balfouri for that matter), but still very scared something may happen... I mean better safe than sorry right?

Definitely, I think it would be fun to own a t that has mastered the art of bending space and time to its will.

And that right there is why I'm hesitant to get an OW... Even the ones that are usually beginner OW can have individuals that are more flighty/defensive than the norm for the species.
Brachypelma Smithi are absolutely stunning. Females are very long lived and aren't reclusive.

Megaphobema Mesomelas do need lower temps so unfortunately they're off the list.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah I recently gave mine a rehouse, she needed it. I gave her a nice hide too, no interest in it. She hasn't used it at all, except to store cricket boli in it.

I agree on the eating. I thought my AF B. albo was a cricket compactor until my iheringi came along. Since she was a large sling (they are large slings) she's always eaten a lot and frequently. One of the few Ts I have that will readily take a dead cricket. She eats 3-6 large crickets in a single sitting, eats them all. Goes right back to it 2 days later. The interesting part is despite all the crickets she does eat, she doesn't put on the same bulk as others do. I knew that ahead of time, but still have no idea where she puts all that food.
I'm beginning to think it's impossible to feed enough food to my G iheringi, it really is a bottomless pit it even out eats my 5 Pamphobeteus such a beautiful species though so it's all worth it

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I would agree with everything you said, except the smithi. So convince me othI rwise. ;) Also, is megaphobema another high-altitude sp.? My house gets into the low 90's in the summer and I can't think of a way to cool it down (cheaply and efficiently).

No need to get into OW before you
are ready. Heck, there's no need to get into OW at all! ;)
And Re: Tapinauchenius speed, well i must say I think my P.pulchers are more difficult when transferred than my T.violaceus. Psalmopoeus lulls you into complacency with slow steps, only to bolt on you later. Tapinauchenius just starts running from the beginning and it is a matter of direct them to run to the new enclosure, and keep escape routes to an absolute minimum.

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How come nobody mentioned G. pulchra? It's my favorite Grammostola.

Edit: in fact, it's my favourite NW species.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I would spend $100 on slings and the rest on something that's rare for you.
That'll probably be the plan or something close to it.

Megaphobema Mesomelas do need lower temps so unfortunately they're off the list.
Shame, those guys look pretty nice.

I'm beginning to think it's impossible to feed enough food to my G iheringi, it really is a bottomless pit it even out eats my 5 Pamphobeteus such a beautiful species though so it's all worth it
Haha, eats more than Pamphobeteus?? That's something I need to see for myself to believe... Alright iheringi will be on the list, hopefully I can find one at least somewhat cheap.

No need to get into OW before you
are ready. Heck, there's no need to get into OW at all! ;)
And Re: Tapinauchenius speed, well i must say I think my P.pulchers are more difficult when transferred than my T.violaceus. Psalmopoeus lulls you into complacency with slow steps, only to bolt on you later. Tapinauchenius just starts running from the beginning and it is a matter of direct them to run to the new enclosure, and keep escape routes to an absolute minimum.
I think I'll try to get at least one of each, probably a cambridgei and a gigas.

How come nobody mentioned G. pulchra? It's my favorite Grammostola.

Edit: in fact, it's my favourite NW species.
Haha, definitely on the table too.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't think P. sazimai would have trouble with 90 degrees. I've heard the temp range of the Chapada Diamantina region is 60-90.
I love my P. sazimai. They don't gain a huge amount of size with each molt, but they molt often without a long fasting period. And they are gorgeous and excellent hunters.