geoffroy's cat eating

TNeal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I found that video totally repugnant. How can anyone allow that type of torture to go on. Shame on you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
R.jasonus:
as far as i know they are not like domestic house cat alike, but rather shy and quiet, and don't really like to be touched or even picked up
it's more like having a sensitive nocturnal roommate
but geting exotic cats as house pets (note: specificly indoor)is a life time of dedication, and serious concern is needed
this one is the extra male who was rejected and attacked by his mate from a conservation program, and he is open for geoffroy to geoffroy breeding

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I found that video totally repugnant. How can anyone allow that type of torture to go on. Shame on you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You know, I just got done having this conversation with my wife, so I might as well share my feelings here as well.
As she was trying to convince me of how disturbing the vid was, I said to her that it is no different from feeding snakes, monitors, or anything else, live prey. She cleverly retorted that it wasn't necessary when there is alternatives (I'm sure she was referring to cat food). Of course, this isn't really relevant when we're not talking about a domestic animal, such as Geoffrey's cat. Of course, pre-killed may have been an option, but we don't know the full story. Many snakes won't accept pre-killed (correct me if I'm wrong, I may be), and this may be the case here. I really don't mean to be rude, really, but you are on a forum that generally contains pet keepers and hobbyists that feed what they keep live prey items.
There is a scorpion vid floating around that is worse, and a centipede vid that is more graphic still. I found it quite interesting that the cat consumed the entire mouse, fascinating.
If you want to spread shame, go talk to the people that let their cats rome around outside, unchecked, destroying the ecosystem, and watch as their head tilts back just enough so they can look down their nose at you.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
after this thread I have considered getting into a more meat diet for my male polydactyl Maine Coon. Being that it is a wild developed breed and specialized for living in the wild I wonder how much it would improve the well being of my cat. I akready buy the best food I can but is it the best? anyways sorry for being off topic. I think that people need to realize that the mice in question are bred for this purpose and it is a natural part of the animals diet. and better controlled safe mice than destroying wild populations of anything small enough to kill. ( like my cats do) I think this is far more acceptable than anything that takes place with basically anyone who lets their cat outside. And I can say for sure my cat DOES NOT finish a mouse (or anything) and eat it.. he toys with it until it dies then he gets bored and leaves it. feeding isnt cruel at all by comparison.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You know, I just got done having this conversation with my wife, so I might as well share my feelings here as well.
As she was trying to convince me of how disturbing the vid was, I said to her that it is no different from feeding snakes, monitors, or anything else, live prey. She cleverly retorted that it wasn't necessary when there is alternatives (I'm sure she was referring to cat food). Of course, this isn't really relevant when we're not talking about a domestic animal, such as Geoffrey's cat. Of course, pre-killed may have been an option, but we don't know the full story. Many snakes won't accept pre-killed (correct me if I'm wrong, I may be), and this may be the case here. I really don't mean to be rude, really, but you are on a forum that generally contains pet keepers and hobbyists that feed what they keep live prey items.
There is a scorpion vid floating around that is worse, and a centipede vid that is more graphic still. I found it quite interesting that the cat consumed the entire mouse, fascinating.
If you want to spread shame, go talk to the people that let their cats rome around outside, unchecked, destroying the ecosystem, and watch as their head tilts back just enough so they can look down their nose at you.

I've had many snakes, especially Masticophis(Coachwhips and Whipsnakes)that would only eat live prey, and despite my most dedicated efforts, my Ball Python still refuses to touch anything but a live rat pup, and this is a CB Ball, too.

I've had exotic cats, both large and small, and I can tell you that they don't do well on a commercial cat food diet at all! It gives them horrible digestive problems that you would REALLY not want to deal with indoors, and can lead to some pretty serious metabolic issues. Most keepers of large cats feed them a combination of fresh chicken parts with organ meat from slaughter houses(like Randolph XX said, you REALLY have to be dedicated to keep such animals, since hauling a truckload of cow guts, stomachs, spleens, etc., home each week is no fun at all, believe me), sprinkled with a vitamin suppliment. Rodents are the natural prey of small wild cats, so a mouse would be perfectly OK provided it is a domestic mouse. Unlike domestic cats which are fed on cat food, wild cats usually don't waste much time playing with their food, since they're hard-wired to believe that if they don't eat it, and fast, something else will come along and take it from them. Even the sweetest-tempered, "tame" wild cat will turn into a savage if you try to take food from them, so if they get ahold of another small animal, it's pretty much theirs at that point, and really nothing you can do without risking being mauled yourself.

pitbulllady

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
a lill bit more input
even domestic cats do very well on raw
studies show that cats on raw live longer than cats ob kibble on average
i also feed my bengal raw, and he will throw up when he eats dry now
plus
can u trust ur pet food manufacturors?
a lot of dry pet food are made of non-human grade meat, which means they could be sick/rejected from the food market
and also added in recycled grease from some major Corp
and some cement

so I, for one, don't really believe in big name brand cat food do any good
so raw/whole prey is my choice
just my two cents

eelnoob

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pretty cool video, I always thought they just swallowed rodents whole(maybe nature shows just don't show how they really eat)

I don't own a cat but would like to if my GF ever allows me.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Even if I gave my cats a live mouse and they killed it, they wouldnt eat it, thus it would have been a waste so I wont do it.

They'll stick with cat food and turkey from the deli. ;)

Although, they do enjoy catching then eating live crickets that escape, gone in seconds literally! And crickets are good protein.

Consider that for the geoffrey's cat, less expensive than mice.

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My cats won't eat the crickets, but they're great when one gets out. They catch them by putting their paw right on top of them, leaving it there for a few seconds, and slowly lifting their paw back up to see if the cricket is still there. I say they because both my cats do the same thing, oddly enough. If unobserved, they just keep 'catching' the cricket until it dies. I see dead crickets around the house occasionally that look crushed or impaled by a claw.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sometimes my cats will bring the crickets live to me, completely unharmed and intact, its amazing how gently they can pick things up if they want to.

But if I dont catch it then they will eat it.

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that's because domestic animals are "revert" to their infant stage
which make the domestic cats into the practicing stage of catching preys
so they just do it repeadily
wat i did for my bengal was not letting him eat for a day, and after he's tired of playing with it, he just ate it

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wouldnt go as far as NOT feeding your cat just so he eats the mouse.... thats ridiculous.

Obviously he ate it because you didnt feed him anything, if your starving youll eat anything too. I cant believe you would do that I thought you would be smarter than that.

Get him toys to play with and stick with the raw meat as food. Forget the mice.

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So what kind of raw meat can you feed a domestic? Forgive my laziness...

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Probably a type of beef, what I mean is i'm not sure of the amount of fat in the beef he gives, there are many kinds.

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well, i guess some people really need to have some knowledge b4 giving others input

guess u don't know barn cats live on mice majorly. Do they STARVE themselves to eat the mice?Not feeding a cat for a day wouldn't cause anything if the cat is in good health. Even the Zoos have one day feeding gap for their Felines weekly....i guess u're smarter to spend sometime looking for some info to back up the words u spit out, not to mention the hybrid roach escape incident

Mine take every kind meat except lamb
rabbit, elk, pork, beef, chicken, quail, squirrel, and fish like trout and salmon(note: the whole fish gone, nothing left)
that's wat He eats so far

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
guess u don't know barn cats live on mice majorly. Do they STARVE themselves to eat the mice?

If they didnt eat the mice they would starve!

Not feeding a cat for a day wouldn't cause anything if the cat is in good health.

The point is you purposely starved your cat so it would eat the mouse, I dont know any cats owners who starve their cats on purpose.

2nd, I wouldnt trust any mice as food from pet stores (at least by me) They are kept crampted and are full of diseases, if anything breed your own so you know they are healthy and wont transmit any diseases to the cats.

Are your cats even vaccinated against diseases?

Even the Zoos have one day feeding gap for their Felines weekly.

Oh so now your a qualified zookeeper? :rolleyes:

I guess u're smarter to spend sometime looking for some info to back up the words u spit out,

I've got people to back me up on this one! And they all own cats including bengals.

Last edited:

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
When I was a kid (8 or so and 30+ years ago), we had indoor/outdoor cats. Watching the video was nostalgic in a away, because it brought back a memory of our female cat eating a chipmunk.

She ate it exactly like that! I remember watching her in astonishment, as she bit it in half and wolfed the pieces down. It was just like in the video except she only chewed it in half, and it was bigger than that mouse. Some of you might be surprised how much "wild" can still be in your house cats.

And no, my memory isn't foggy after all this time. That made quite an impression on me!

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
An excellent example of a domestic cat's effect on the ecosystem.

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
as someone said b4, it's hard to share something when there's always someone trying to bring up something confusing

u still don't get it? they eat watever's available,birds, lizard, even chicks or insects(eg. mine eats fusca/craniifer u have occasionaly), and the whole point is rodents is one of the choices, not i force my cat to eat a mouse

and most people "purposely" feed their cats commercial food, and i can't force a cat to eat a mouse just by not feeding for one day.

and i really don't get wat u're trying to bring up?house cats don't eat mice?or is it just yours?

so, please define "starve"? I can realize u might never heard about one day feeding gap weekly, like i've never heard of anyone letting their roaches out b4 u

plus,unlike u, i don't get rodents from pet store, but from rodent breeders who breed feeders for snakes

although i am not a zookeeper, i have friends in zoo to back me up, too
and is it that hard to be a bengal breeder? i know at least 10, and please ask ur breeder friends to back u up that their bengal won't eat any mouse by their free will.

and people owns animals do not necessarily mean that they are smart or know much about the animals, just like some some roach owners don't realize walk their roaches in their backyard can be a terrible idea

cats were origially dometicated for rodent control, or u have more back up to revise this theory, then bring it up

and if u wanna continue this meaningless debate, u might as well feed urs vegetarian cat food(http://www.vegancats.com/) or join PETA and donate ur "exotic invertebrates" to the local zoos(not the local garden!)

Last edited: