Genic molted -- definately female...right? PIC

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This extra piece of skin hanging over the epigastric furrow means that Stryker is a girl right?

Jon

Last edited:

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
:D =D*gets up and does the Happy Dance* =D :D

=D*shouts Yes! Yes! Yes!*=D

Jon

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Just out of curiousity, how can you tell?

I'm trying to absorb as much info on the whole sexing thing as possible.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Valael
Just out of curiousity, how can you tell?
See the flap between the anterior book lungs with the two knobby giraffe antler like things on it? That's the spermathecae, only present on a female.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So in males, all you would see is the the slit of the epigastric furrow, with nothing else near it?

Jon

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok. So now it is confirmed that I have a female A. geniculata. She was at just over 5 inches pre molt, so now she will obviously be larger once she streches out? When should I start making plans to acquire a male to mate with her?

Jon

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It's not even truly a slit in males, just a shallow indentation between the book lungs.

Although it gets more and more distinct as the specimen grows, if you have any sort of definite flap on the anterior of the epigastric furrow, you've got a girl.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
See the flap between the anterior book lungs with the two knobby giraffe antler like things on it? That's the spermathecae, only present on a female.
I have some females with the flap, but no giraffe antlers.
Do you think the antlers mean she's mature? All my adult females have them. If this is so, then we would know when a T is of breeding age. Right?

Ernie

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Are you referring to female genics, or something else? The exact morphology of the spermathecae varies widely between species. The only consistent feature is you have a transverse flap between the anterior book lungs, all else you need to compare to the same species.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
Are you referring to female genics, or something else? The exact morphology of the spermathecae varies widely between species. The only consistent feature is you have a transverse flap between the anterior book lungs, all else you need to compare to the same species.
Yeah, but what about mine? Can you tell from this pic, whether or not it is sexually mature?

Jon

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is my understanding that sexual maturity is somewhat of an educated guess due to size and age. She's got the plumbing, if she's got the size, go for it. I'd help you out, but my biggest one is a female also and my others are too small to tell yet.

Botar

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
Can you tell from this pic, whether or not it is sexually mature?
I am not much of an authority on the actual breeding part, but as developed as they are, she should be breedable at that size, BUT...

You say she's only 5", there is definitely a correlation between female size and clutch size and percent viability. I've even seen some discussion from experienced breeders that breeding females early may stunt their final size. From field observations, Rick West has also observed that Ts are probably breedable even long before they show distinct signs of being mature.

So, she probably is breedable, and if you already happen to have a male, you can always try. OTOH, if she were my T, I'd probably wait another moult or two before actually seeking out mature males.

Hopefully someone who's actually bred Acanthoscurria sp. will chime in.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, we'll see. She "WAS" 5 inches pre molt. She hasn't streched out yet from her last molt. I'm sure she will be larger.

Jon

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Also, from what I understand, the clutch size can range from 800-1200 or even more. I would like to breed this species, however, I don't really want to deal with that many s'lings. So a smaller cluctch would be quite welcomed, as longs as the offspring weren't affected.

Of coure, I really would like to have an 8 inch spider. So I'm not sure what I should do.

Jon

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
hey jon--
get this girl gravid, then keep four or five of the slings. i'll take ten or so, too. then sell the rest to someone (a tarantula dealer).

actually, i think you can sell the egg sacks, too, because you can ship them after a certain stage--i talked a little with bryan (cronoss) about it--he can give you more info.

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Congratulations on getting a female. I've had 5 A. geniculatas over the past year and a half. The first one died during a molt, the second and third one turned out to be males (They matured in just about a year and were shipping to John Hoke for breeding. I've heard that at least one of the them got munched) the forth just molted and appears to be a male, and the last is unsexed, so I'm hoping for a female finally!

I looked into trying to breed A. geniculata and found that the females need to be at least 6" before they're ready. I read that the clutch size was around 400, but I can't say with 100% certainty that this is the correct number. I understand it is a bit difficult due to their appetites as they would rather eat than mate. As for time, I would wait about 2 months before trying to breed her and make sure she was very well fed.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, she finally got done streching out/resting after the molt. I'd say that she is right at about the 6 inch mark. Her leg joints seem a little more bulky. Absolutely beautiful.

Here's a pic. I'm gonna be itching for this...

Jon

Last edited:

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, I guess I will go ahead and take Acanthoscurria juruenicola off of my list of spiders to get. My geniculata is getting that large jointed look to here which is what I admired about the juruenicola for so long. But the coloration on the geniculata is nicer. And since I'm trying to keep a handle on my collection...

Jon