GBB might me hurt?

BonnieBeans

Arachnopeon
I may be freaking out over nothing but I could really use some input. My C. Cyaneopubescens was showing off those fangs today and I saw these three white patches. Any idea what it could be?

She's 22 days post molt; 6 days post meal.
1493444777367262843950.jpg

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
is it missing a fang?

i can barely see the patches. thats if theyre not just glare from the flash..

if you mean the patches on the underside of the abdomen, those are the book lungs, and there four. perfectly normal.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
It seems to be missing its left fang. Also, the fangs are still red, meaning you fed it too early. The white on the bottom side of the mouthparts could be anything. Poop, remains of food, the picture is too blurry.
Stop feeding until the fangs are black. It will survive with one fang, but if it loses the other as well, things can become difficult. As for the white stuff, @cold blood @EulersK @boina any opinions?

boina

Lady of the mites
No opinions from me. The pic is too blurry, I can't tell what it is I'm supposed to be seeing. Can you get a better pic?
I think the fang(s)(?) look red because of the lighting since it already ate.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
No opinions from me. The pic is too blurry, I can't tell what it is I'm supposed to be seeing. Can you get a better pic?
I think the fang(s)(?) look red because of the lighting since it already ate.
I think it might lost a fang because of too early feeding.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Yep that looks like undigested food matter as it only has one fang probably harder to eat, groom/clean area

As said above. Wait until fangs are all black before feeding. You are lucky this T has still got 1 fang. It is ridic hard to keep a T going without fangs.

Last edited:

sasker

Arachnoprince
22 days post molt, 6 days post meal means means that the spider had its first meal 16 days after the molt. Surely, that is plenty of time between molt and meal, right? Especially considering it's a juvenile

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
22 days post molt, 6 days post meal means means that the spider had its first meal 16 days after the molt. Surely, that is plenty of time between molt and meal, right? Especially considering it's a juvenile
Those timeframes are guidelines, not absolute givens. Always check the fangs...

BonnieBeans

Arachnopeon
She has two fully hardened black fangs. Her molt to feeding timeline was mentioned above... 16 days post before a meal. The bolus was removed 3 days ago which is why I'm not certain the spots are food related.
I have 20 years in the hobby; I've dealt with all the mites and fungus early on... just never encountered this before.

Attachments

BonnieBeans

Arachnopeon
And please dont assume new people on the forum are noobs to the hobby. It's incredibly frustrating to bring forth a legitimate question only to get answers like these...

boina

Lady of the mites
And please dont assume new people on the forum are noobs to the hobby. It's incredibly frustrating to bring forth a legitimate question only to get answers like these...
Weeeell, it's a little bit your own fault since the pic was really misleading. I thought it was the lighting, but you have to admit it did look strange in the pic. I can understand your frustration, though, because people tend to assume you are an idiot until you proved otherwise ;). To be fair, a lot of first questions from new posters are bit silly, so people around here have statistic probability on their side ;). Don't take it personally.

I have absolutely no clue what that white stuff could be. Poop comes to mind, but not sure. I'm pretty sure it isn't nematodes - they look different and where would they come from anyway? They don't just appear out of thin air. Or did you buy a WC T recently?

Kayis

Arachnopeon
The "assumption/advice" has to start off somewhere when you ask questions on a forum. You have neither stated your experience level or anything that relates to how knowledgeable you are in terms of the hobby. Please don't assume we are trying to frustrate you with "noob" answers on purpose.

Last edited:

boina

Lady of the mites
And on another note: I'm still not sure if a T that isn't ready after a molt will actually attempt to eat. They need to know when they are ready otherwise they wouldn't be able to survive in the wild.

Does someone have a first hand story about a T breaking a fang because it was fed too early?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
How was i to know you have 20 years in the hobby? I'm sorry if I unwittingly offended you, but a lot of questions come from new people, and your profile info doesn't give any info about your experience level . So I assumed you were new. Nowhere do I call you stupid or noob, I am just going on what your info and picture tell me.
In your first pic, it seems like a fang was missing, and it had a red hue. In your second picture, the fangs still look reddish.
I understand your frustration, but I had nothing else to go on except the pics and info you provided in your first post.
@boina , there are threads on Ab of Theraphosids losing a fang due to too early feeding (just use the search function), so I don't think that is a weird assumption at all.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Nobody assumed anything.

You asked a question and you were given answered based on what you provided.

That aside I have seen some photos like this in the past where people have aquired wild-caught specimens with a parasite or a parasite had been introduced by bad feeders.

I am not entirely sure if it is a parasite. It could still be undigested food matter or even poop.

Do you produce your own feeders or buy from local pet store/online?

At the moment, I would try not to worry. Keep an eye on it and make sure it is eating/drinking etc. Even if parasite I dont think there is much you can do. I would separate it from the rest of your arachnids for the meantime just incase.

boina

Lady of the mites
@boina , there are threads on Ab of Theraphosids losing a fang due to too early feeding (just use the search function), so I don't think that is a weird assumption at all.
If there are these threads I'm too stupid to find them. There's a lot about a T losing a fang in a molt, but nothing definitive about too early feeding, although it gets mentioned a lot. I did find this http://arachnoboards.com/threads/feeding-after-molt.288609/ however.
The consensus there seems to be that it's a good indication that the T is ready to eat when the fangs are black, but there's still no evidence of any T actually losing a fang due to feeding.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Does someone have a first hand story about a T breaking a fang because it was fed too early?
Sorta.. There is a member that fed his adult A. Genic or N.chromatus( sorry this was 2-3 years ago) a few days ( maybe 10) after molting. And it wouldn't eat. The cricket drowned in the water dish over night. He went to remove the water dish which was hard plastic shaped like a fake rock. Well the T got pissed and attacked the dish and broke off half of one of it's fangs.

He's still an active member and a friend. It was early in his days of keeping Ts. He already took his lumps for it so no insults/trash talking etc... Please Lol.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
She has two fully hardened black fangs. Her molt to feeding timeline was mentioned above... 16 days post before a meal. The bolus was removed 3 days ago which is why I'm not certain the spots are food related.
I have 20 years in the hobby; I've dealt with all the mites and fungus early on... just never encountered this before.
A possible theory for discussion purposes based on this image: Maybe it is some kind of damage that occurred during the molt? I realize that it has the appearance of feces but no one really knows how many different ways the exoskeleton could be damaged from something going wrong during a molt or from an injury.

What did you feed it? Was it a cricket or something that could have possibly bit the spider before succumbing to the venom?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
And on another note: I'm still not sure if a T that isn't ready after a molt will actually attempt to eat. They need to know when they are ready otherwise they wouldn't be able to survive in the wild.

Even my gluttonous murder tank (A. geniculata) won't attempt to eat unless she feels she's ready.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Sorta.. There is a member that fed his adult A. Genic or N.chromatus( sorry this was 2-3 years ago) a few days ( maybe 10) after molting. And it wouldn't eat.
Exactly, I have never seen a T that has red fangs go for prey. They must know when they are ready to eat and if they haven't hardened up they won't go after food, they will ignore it.

However, defensive behavior is very likely as they feel at their most vulnerable. If they do strike at tongs then they can definitely injure themselves, but never from a feeder and being too freshly molted, they will just refuse to eat.