GBB might me hurt?

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I may be freaking out over nothing but I could really use some input. My C. Cyaneopubescens was showing off those fangs today and I saw these three white patches. Any idea what it could be?

She's 22 days post molt; 6 days post meal.
View attachment 238548
A possible theory for discussion purposes based on this image: Maybe it is some kind of damage that occurred during the molt? I realize that it has the appearance of feces but no one really knows how many different ways the exoskeleton could be damaged from something going wrong during a molt or from an injury.

What did you feed it? Was it a cricket or something that could have possibly bit the spider before succumbing to the venom?
All that looks like is the remnants of a meal, usually that is discarded but it may of gotten stuck to its mouth parts.

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
While I can't add anything to the topic, I'm kinda glad the "don't feed until fangs are black" thing came up again.
I see @boina 's point and agree - they must know best and probably won't try to eat, if it means they're gonna harm themselves doing so. Right?
How would these creatures have survived for millions of years without some sort of instinct preventing them to do things that are harmful for them?

As a newcomer I immediately picked up the "it'll break a fang and starve!!!" scare, but was always puzzled if it's really true, or just another myth in the hobby.

Now I'm quite certain the T knows best and stop worrying - which doesn't mean I'd recommend feeding ASAP.
There's no rush anyways...

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Does someone have a first hand story about a T breaking a fang because it was fed too early?
Uncommon, perhaps, but not unheard of. I bought a N. coloratovillosus from a reptile dealer, and I ended up finding out that it had a broken fang. Whatever, it happens. I then bought an LP a few months later only to find another broken fang. Turns out he was feeding his adult spiders under a week after molting, since that's what he did with his snakes when they would shed. He checked his other spiders, and the aggressive eaters (A. geniculata, GBB, etc) all had at least one broken fang. Anecdotal evidence, sure, but it does happen.

I would have given the exact same advice that @Andrea82 gave at first. I do see red fangs (even in the new picture) and a missing fang in the first picture. As for what it is, no idea, the pictures aren't nearly good enough.

As for the OP... no one's responses were demeaning or patronizing. Not sure how you picked that up, but I'm sorry you feel that way. As has been said, we had two sentences and a blurry picture to go off of. Nothing but speculation is what we can offer.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
How would these creatures have survived for millions of years without some sort of instinct preventing them to do things that are harmful for them?
In nature food supply is not at any kind of regular intervals. They may have to go a month or so post molt before they get to eat. Cannot really say for sure, though.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Yes true, but if every time a freshly molted wild T came in contact with prey and pounced on it, attacking with soft fangs, and then breaking them we wouldn't have many Ts around, they must have some kind of way of knowing not to eat, I tried feeding my large T.stirmi about 2 weeks post molt and she refused, so I waited another week and she went straight for the food, perhaps they experience a loss of appetite or something along those
lines.
Uncommon, perhaps, but not unheard of. I bought a N. coloratovillosus from a reptile dealer, and I ended up finding out that it had a broken fang. Whatever, it happens. I then bought an LP a few months later only to find another broken fang. Turns out he was feeding his adult spiders under a week after molting, since that's what he did with his snakes when they would shed. He checked his other spiders, and the aggressive eaters (A. geniculata, GBB, etc) all had at least one broken fang. Anecdotal evidence, sure, but it does happen.
Perhaps the reptile dealer tong fed his Ts (like you would a snake) and they broke them on that, I think that's more likely. I firmly believe it will ignore food if it's too freshly molted, defensive behavior on the other hand is a different story.

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
Yes true, but if every time a freshly molted wild T came in contact with prey and pounced on it, attacking with soft fangs, and then breaking them we wouldn't have many Ts around, they must have some kind of way of knowing not to eat
That's what I'm thinking as well.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Perhaps the reptile dealer tong fed his Ts (like you would a snake) and they broke them on that, I think that's more likely. I firmly believe it will ignore food if it's too freshly molted, defensive behavior on the other hand is a different story.
After he found out about these broken fangs, I did ask him if he tong fed. He said no, although of course he could be lying due to embarrassment.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Yes true, but if every time a freshly molted wild T came in contact with prey and pounced on it, attacking with soft fangs, and then breaking them we wouldn't have many Ts around, they must have some kind of way of knowing not to eat, I tried feeding my large T.stirmi about 2 weeks post molt and she refused, so I waited another week and she went straight for the food, perhaps they experience a loss of appetite or something along those
lines.

What if T's DO break their fangs and starve to death, despite being visible in such numbers? Each sack contains as many eggs as they do to increase the chances of survival. We would never know it if T's die off because of broken fangs, because those T's wouldn't be visible anymore. If people can speculate about them being smart enough to NOT feed when fangs aren't hardened up yet, then people can also speculate why they DO die off because of eating to soon. One hypothesis is as plausible as the other.

The 'in the wild, the T would do this or that so it will do this or that in captivity' doesn't always apply. They live as long and prosper because we create the optimal situation for them by protecting, feeding and sheltering them. That is a whole different story than 'in the wild'.

@OP
Did you find out anything by using a qtip to the white stuff?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Tarantulas have an instinctive feeding response. Although a T may not be ready to eat it may still grab food then release it. I have had Phormics and Pamphs that attack the waterbowl when refilling, even when they are still like jelly.

Some people seem to think that a post-moult meal is necessary asap. But in reality, it isnt.

What is the problem with waiting a little longer to be safe? It sure beats making cricket soup

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
What if T's DO break their fangs and starve to death, despite being visible in such numbers? Each sack contains as many eggs as they do to increase the chances of survival. We would never know it if T's die off because of broken fangs, because those T's wouldn't be visible anymore. If people can speculate about them being smart enough to NOT feed when fangs aren't hardened up yet, then people can also speculate why they DO die off because of eating to soon. One hypothesis is as plausible as the other.
Well I can speculate off of what I've experienced first hand, and I know it's happened where I have tried feeding too early and my Ts weren't interested. I have never seen them attack and break their fangs, not on feeders due to a fresh molt. I think it's illogical for a creature that's evolved over millions of years to have not developed some sort of behavior that would avoid this, I mean damaging it's fangs when they are fresh after a molt seems all too likely to happen in the wild, where it's not a controlled environment and possible prey could scurry by at any given time.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Well I can speculate off of what I've experienced first hand, and I know it's happened where I have tried feeding too early and my Ts weren't interested. I have never seen them attack and break their fangs, not on feeders due to a fresh molt. I think it's illogical for a creature that's evolved over millions of years to have not developed some sort of behavior that would avoid this, I mean damaging it's fangs when they are fresh after a molt seems all too likely to happen in the wild, where it's not a controlled environment and possible prey could scurry by at any given time.
Of course. But it is also highly unlikely that a creature that depends on other creatures for food to not take any chance at feeding when food is available.

But I would rather not discuss this here, since it is not my thread and someone needs help ;)

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Food is much more sparce in the wild than captivity. And healthy Ts even more sparce.

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
This link may help provide a little help, of course, they even admit there's no solid proof that fangs breaking can come from feeding too early, but it is possible. As all Tarantulas are opportunistic, I feel there is a chance that they may feed too early since they don't necessarily know when the next meal will come. Also, since their brains are so small, they may not know much difference between being in captivity or being in the wild. Certain Ts behave differently in captivity, but that could be due to environmental changes rather than them knowing they are kept in a box... But of course, I'm no professional, so don't take my word for it!

Anyway, here's the article:
http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/FanglessZombie.html

It's written by the same guy who wrote our bible, so his/their thoughts are probably better substance than mine ;)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
This link may help provide a little help, of course, they even admit there's no solid proof that fangs breaking can come from feeding too early, but it is possible. As all Tarantulas are opportunistic, I feel there is a chance that they may feed too early since they don't necessarily know when the next meal will come. Also, since their brains are so small, they may not know much difference between being in captivity or being in the wild. Certain Ts behave differently in captivity, but that could be due to environmental changes rather than them knowing they are kept in a box... But of course, I'm no professional, so don't take my word for it!

Anyway, here's the article:
http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/FanglessZombie.html

It's written by the same guy who wrote our bible, so his/their thoughts are probably better substance than mine ;)
Well uhm...that bible is a bit outdated in parts, so i am not sure how valid the info is. But i appreciate the effort :)

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
Well uhm...that bible is a bit outdated in parts, so i am not sure how valid the info is. But i appreciate the effort :)
That is true! But at least there's some sort of documentation behind the idea :happy:

Adenovirus19

Arachnopeon
And please dont assume new people on the forum are noobs to the hobby. It's incredibly frustrating to bring forth a legitimate question only to get answers like these...
I have to agree with BonnieBeans. Why would a site that promotes the welfare of tarantulas ever give crass answers to newcomers--no matter the experience. If the goal is to educate and spread knowledge for the sake of the spiders, kindness and empathy to any poster goes a long way to eventually building an expert.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I have to agree with BonnieBeans. Why would a site that promotes the welfare of tarantulas ever give crass answers to newcomers--no matter the experience. If the goal is to educate and spread knowledge for the sake of the spiders, kindness and empathy to any poster goes a long way to eventually building an expert.
What makes our answers crass?

I still don't understand

leaveittoweaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well. Back to the original question and point....what substrate do you use? Looks like it could be perlite?