G.rosea's odd behavior.

Ryujia

Arachnosquire
For a while now, I've been concerned about my G.rosea Belle. When I got her she was plenty fat and happy as far as I could tell, usually lounging on her hide or digging a little. Laying here laying there.

Now, her abdomen seems a bit small to me, and she's always face first in water when available. She doesn't eat, or even take any interest in any of the dubias I offer her. She's usually face first under her water dish when the substrate under it is wet, and if there's water in the dish, she's usually laying in it. (When I say laying, I mean I have actually seen her with her booklungs IN the water.)

I'm more then a little worried. I was hoping I'd give her some water and food and she'd bounce back. I even thought maybe she's just being a moody rosea, but I don't want to seek help too late, so here I am.

Before pic :

Currently :

The last photo illustrates what I mean by face planting in the wet substrate. She's CONSTANTLY like this..

Any help or advice or anything is very much appreciated. :)

Ryujia

Arachnosquire
A rosea with off behavior you say? Never!!
Haha I know right? And I understand that they go forever without doing.. anything. But, and the pictures don't really show it that well, her abdomen looks a bit smallish to me. I've had her for about a year, can't tell you when she ate last, or even molted last. I didn't own her at the time of her last molt, nor do I keep those kinda of records (shame on me I know :wall:).

That is why I've waited so long to post my concerns here.

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What its doing does look kind of odd to me though. But then again, I don't actually own a rosea so I can't give much input other then ask this:

Is the water dish always full of clean water?

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Unless it starts to curl or really show signs of dehydration I wouldnt fret too much. My rosea didn't eat for a couple months, now she takes everythig she gets, sometimes she will move around alot and other times just corner herself in the enclosure. After all this is G. rosea we are talking about here.

Lucy13

Arachnopeon
My rosie would do this but she'd fill her water dish with substrate web it over lay around in it and dig around in it. Tried keeping her substrate a little damper on one side. Which she hated and would be on the glass walking around. I decided to soak some moss in water and have it on the damper side of the cage. Who woulda thunk this was the greatest thing she'd ever known. She no longer fills her bowl or lays in it but sits on the moss and appears content. She spends half her time on the dry side and the other half on the damp side.

JC50

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Looks like it is darkening up a bit from the first picture.Maybe she is getting ready to molt.

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm going with premolt. Has anyone noticed that we get 10 threads titled “my g rosea is acting weird” every week? Lol.

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm going with premolt. Has anyone noticed that we get 10 threads titled “my g rosea is acting weird” every week? Lol.
I actually was thinking the same thing "here we go again, another rosea acting weird thread again" well I guess most of us started there at one time, I wish I started with a G. rosea, my introduction to the hobby was a P. murinus.

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I actually was thinking the same thing "here we go again, another rosea acting weird thread again" well I guess most of us started there at one time, I wish I started with a G. rosea, my introduction to the hobby was a P. murinus.
Lol, wow, how'd that one go over?

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How do you get premolt? Those pics have different lighting.

Maybe it likes drinking from the substrate instead of the water dish. Or you could try and give more substrate, maybe it's trying to burrow.

Nature81

Arachnopeon
OK I'm a complete noob. However, you say it has its face in the water when it's available or on the wet substrate. Sorry if I'm mistaken but surely it's just thirsty and if you keep the water dish full it will stop being thirsty?

Again, sorry if I'm mistaken...

It does look like the water bowl is very dry and that the poor thing is trying to get to some moisture??

Last edited:

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What its doing does look kind of odd to me though. But then again, I don't actually own a rosea so I can't give much input other then ask this:

Is the water dish always full of clean water?
WHAT!?! you don't have a rose hair??? dang your missing out every T keeper should have one {D

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
so does anyone have ideas as to why mine keeps submerging itself? is this normal?

First, what is your setup like?
Size of enclosure, type of substrate, depth of substrate.

But... If your asking why your rosea is submerging itself in the water dish (which is what I assume you are asking) then it is because it's thirsty.