G.rosea's odd behavior.

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Change the woodchips to peat moss or coco-fiber. A 20 gal. is a very large tank for a G. rosea. I'd personally change it to a 5 or 10 gal. It'll be much easier to manage and make safe for the T. In order to minimize the risk of injuries from falling, you need to fill the tank up so that there's no more than around 1.5 times the T's legspan between the substrate and the lid. That'd take a LOT of sub in a 20 gal. :)

Last edited:

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
20 gallon tank. wood chips. 1 inch deep.
1. A 20 gallon is too much space for a G. rosea
2. Wood chips can have sharp edges and your T can climb and fall onto them and injure itself which is why you also need...
3. More than 1 inch of substrate to reduce risk of falling and if it wanted to burrow.

You need to read the stickies at the top of this forum.
And here is a caresheet:
http://sites.google.com/site/tarantuladb/care-sheets-2/g-rosea

Move the spider from the 20g to a 5g or 10g.
Change the substrate to peat moss or coconut fiber or a mixture of the two.
Fill the tank at LEAST halfway full with substrate.
Provide a hide and a water dish.
That's all.

Ryujia

Arachnosquire
Thank you to everyone who replied. I only came asking for help because she looks like she's thinning out substantually.

To be honest, no, she doesn't always have water available. I didn't offer water readily for her every day because she was sitting in it (with her book lungs submerged) and I got really scared at that point, and didn't want her to drown while I was at work or something.

The lighting is different in the photos because it's with my cell phone. My digital camera no longer works. :(

Again, thank you all for your advice. I will keep a close eye on her and see what happens. :)