G. rosea thinks she's Muhammed Ali

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Every time I physically remove my rosie's water dish to refill it(as opposed to just pouring more in the dish), whenever I put the dish back into her tank she lunges at my hand and "punches" me with her front legs. I've only replaced the dish once where this hasn't happened, its just an interesting behavior and I was wondering if anyone else has a T who does something similar.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, yes. We do have a T that does that, but it is our slightly over 6 inch blondi, so we don't stick hour hands in her viv to replace the dish. (thank heavens for long tweezers.) The only other thing we have that is close is our A. seemani, she has an "unhealthy relationship" with her water dish. She always sits next to it, usually with at least two legs resting on it. She will let us take it away to clean it and refill it, but she waits at attention for its return. She also climbs in it and sits if it becomes empty.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
All my Ts will punch the water being poured into the dish or onto the substrate. They can't tell what's making the vibrations, whether it's a predator or prey, and then they get all offended when they get their feet wet, and run off. {D

wicked

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My G pulchra guards her water dish viciously. She sits next to it, burrows under it, gets in it when it's empty. Of course she has to web it so the water almost instantly wicks out into the peat moss and eventually starts to mold if I keep refilling the dish. One time I tried to distract her with the tongs and get the dish. She went after the tongs, missed, hit her silk plant and porceded to bite, slap and savage it. Venom dripping the whole time. Getting the dish out of the tank is always a chore, I have to cup her with a deli cup to get anything done. That is one tank I don't put my bare little fingers into. :eek:

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah it is pretty common for them to tag the water dish.

elyanalyous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
mine will pour it out, then sit in it... and if i want it i just put in another dish and wait for her to go into the new one, then i take the old one out. she ignors tongs and i can just lift her out with the dish, but if she's in a bad mood i don't want to chance it. my T that does this is a G.rosea:rolleyes:

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
there's a G. rosea at my work that punches anything that comes in her cage. She thinks its food at first and if she can't eat it, she slaps. {D

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
my rosea just HAS to always see whats going on, no matter where my hand is in the cage, she comes over to see if i'm messing things up.
i've also been punched a few times

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yep, its favorite toy fer sum of mine, hehe
they are so cute {D

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I even heard of a G. rosea playing with a ball which is kinda unheard of for inverts.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
My G pulchra guards her water dish viciously. She sits next to it, burrows under it, gets in it when it's empty. Of course she has to web it so the water almost instantly wicks out into the peat moss and eventually starts to mold if I keep refilling the dish. One time I tried to distract her with the tongs and get the dish. She went after the tongs, missed, hit her silk plant and porceded to bite, slap and savage it. Venom dripping the whole time. Getting the dish out of the tank is always a chore, I have to cup her with a deli cup to get anything done. That is one tank I don't put my bare little fingers into. :eek:
That's one wicked pulchra ;)

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My adult male G. rosea (Snack Pack) loves his water dish. He likes to rest in it with his legs over hanging the sides. It is so cute, it is like he is sitting in a comfy chair like I do, with my legs hanging over the arms. :)

I fill his water dish every day, and he gets mad that I do it. He will actually stand on top of the water (Amazing! Water tension is so cool!) until most of it drains off the top. Then he takes a big drink, and some how makes the rest of the water dissapear by the next day. Since he doesnt fill it with dirt, I am a bit confused as to where it all goes. :)

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
some how makes the rest of the water dissapear by the next day. Since he doesnt fill it with dirt, I am a bit confused as to where it all goes. :)
It's possible that there are some tiny strands of web going into the dish, which are "wicking out" the water into the substrate. I know my GBB dish is never wet for more than an hour due to the webbing problem. {D

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's possible that there are some tiny strands of web going into the dish, which are "wicking out" the water into the substrate. I know my GBB dish is never wet for more than an hour due to the webbing problem. {D
You know... I don't pull the dish out any more because it keeps getting completely webbed into the substrate. Snack Pack's entire enclosure is covered in webbing. You can't see the coco fiber underneath all of his webbing. The floor is completely white. :) I think this 'wicking' action may be exactly what is happening. :) Well, that clears up my confusion.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Another useful " member " posting trash..
How are you not banned..

I knew from looking at the time stamp from other posts and should of known by the notification that this content was from a member that I have ignored that it would of been a completely useless post..

Well done as allways you have offered nothing to our community..

hennibbale

Arachnosquire
Another useful " member " posting trash..
How are you not banned..

I knew from looking at the time stamp from other posts and should of known by the notification that this content was from a member that I have ignored that it would of been a completely useless post..

Well done as allways you have offered nothing to our community..
Oh I'm sorry