G.rosea import ban?

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wait, hold up... Lol didn't I post this same thread last night? Where did it get moved to?

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Not sure if people bothered them really, I do recall an article that they are a valuable cash animal because of the pet trade. Though I think Chile has a better track record of keeping their natives safe compared to Mexico. I can't seem to recall any data saying the people were killing them, I imagine they would just be left alone. Though even if people went back to killing them, that is an issue with education not the pet trade. We need to breed what we have (which is a lot of diverse blood lines) so we can't be targeted by pet groups saying we decimate wild populations. I'm all for bringing some WC specimens here and there to keep things fresh but there are thousands of rosea in captivity that should be bred.

I completely agree that either way cb is the way to go. I believe every species in the hobby should be worked towards sustainable captive breeding populations.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Oh - I think they somehow combined the two threads! How strange but cool ... lol :)

awiec

Arachnoprince
There was one point in time that rosea was not being imported, and people were dying to get their hands on them again just like the Grammostola sp. "Conception". Now it's happening again and maybe for good including porteri and maybe others like Eauthlus species. This is a wake up call for us hobbiest.
Now there is a reason for us hobbiest to begin and continue the process of CB breeding of this fine species.

-J

Which I think we're better handled to deal with an import ban now since the internet allows for quick communication. Tthough I do like sp Conception and regret not getting any when I had the chance. I remember one of my professors had like 30 MM G.rosea that were used in experiments (they weren't harmed as far as I know) and she kept them so they could live out the rest of their lives in peace as there is no demand for the species and were going to be frozen. She brought them in for our spider class to use in lab so we could time how fast they can walk and how long they can walk before tiring (took almost an hour).

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Excellent for a second I thought I had imagined posting this lol!

cold blood

Staff member
i will suggest people to read the book : The Invisible Ark by David and Tracy Barker - http://vpi.com/store/products/invisible-ark-defense-captivity-david-and-tracy-barker-2014

i know it doesnt specifically focus on T's but its focus is to make clear how conservation through captivation can be good and important, alot of species survival are ensured because of the hobbyists keeping and breeding them.
Seriously missing the point. I agree with the above statement...the argument I make is that there have been and continues to be PLENTY of stock available within the hobby to easily maintain cb breeding stock....continuing to take them out of the wild is absolutely pointless and the only purpose it currently serves is further reduction of wild ones.

We attained conservation through captivation decades ago....instead of running with what we have, we ignored it in favor of cheap WC rosies.....this is the opposite of conservation at this point in time.

They aren't endangered or even threatened, we need to keep it that way...good import ban all the way.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Seriously missing the point. I agree with the above statement...the argument I make is that there have been and continues to be PLENTY of stock available within the hobby to easily maintain cb breeding stock....continuing to take them out of the wild is absolutely pointless and the only purpose it currently serves is further reduction of wild ones.

We attained conservation through captivation decades ago....instead of running with what we have, we ignored it in favor of cheap WC rosies.....this is the opposite of conservation at this point in time.

They aren't endangered or even threatened, we need to keep it that way...good import ban all the way.
I see it as stopping while you're ahead, we need to identify and conserve species BEFORE they become threatened. This is the approach we need to take for the future if we want anything besides cats and dogs in the world.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Absolutely correct, there is no need to keep continuing taking rose hairs out of the wild anymore until a suitable time. Captive born breeding is the way to go with this species. There are plenty of them in the hobby that we don't need to be worrying about same bloodlines breeding together.

-J

Hanska

Arachnobaron
So this is an import ban in the US, not an export ban in Chile?
So us europeans just keep raiding the wild population...

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
So this is an import ban in the US, not an export ban in Chile?
So us europeans just keep raiding the wild population...
I had gotten the impression it was on Chiles side, but maybe I'm wrong. At the moment there seems to be very little reliable details beyond "yes it's legit."

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
They're still the same old $19.99 price at my local Petco like usual. For the moment, anyhow.

awiec

Arachnoprince
They're still the same old $19.99 price at my local Petco like usual. For the moment, anyhow.
Bans usually take time before they go into full effect, there are probably a few more shipments of them to be processed before we start seeing the impacts of the ban.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I say this ban is great, anyone else trying to justify it isn't is just plain wrong and ignorant. Why would we need any more G. rosea? To "save" the population? Get real. 80% of the G. rosea purchases from those harvests are by newbies who buy them mainly because of the price and have no intentions of breeding them and they just go to waste. We should start working with what we have and think a little bit about preserving nature.

+1000000 on the ban.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Bans usually take time before they go into full effect, there are probably a few more shipments of them to be processed before we start seeing the impacts of the ban.
Jose already saw some price increases where he was. I saw emperor scorpions go up in price quite fast as well, once the news hit about them 2 years back.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Jose already saw some price increases where he was. I saw emperor scorpions go up in price quite fast as well, once the news hit about them 2 years back.
They are still 20 bucks at a big chain pet store near me, I imagine they still have a few more in stock before things get jacked up. Thoug pet stores might not even care about the ban and just finish off selling the rest of their roseas and rely on avics, which still are still legal to import and are a draw cause they're blue.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Chile shut down completely! And it is not just the rose hairs, it is every tarantulas that being exported out of Chile you can kiss them good bye. Rely on CB breeding only. I took photos from another pet store the prices they have of the rose hairs I will post later.

Jose

---------- Post added 05-18-2015 at 04:28 PM ----------

Here is a photo of the $49.99 dollar rose hairs.

-J

awiec

Arachnoprince
Chile shut down completely! And it is not just the rose hairs, it is every tarantulas that being exported out of Chile you can kiss them good bye. Rely on CB breeding only. I took photos from another pet store the prices they have of the rose hairs I will post later.

Jose

---------- Post added 05-18-2015 at 04:28 PM ----------

Here is a photo of the $49.99 dollar rose hairs.

-J
While I'm happy for rosea, I'm a bit bummed about the other species we haven't been able to import yet.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
While I'm happy for rosea, I'm a bit bummed about the other species we haven't been able to import yet.
I feel the same way. Now I forced to put on hold on selling some of my Eauthlus sp., Grammostola sp. "Concepcion and my Grammostola sp. "Northern Gold".

-J

Last edited: