G. Pulchra - price and other questions.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks. :)

I have yet another question. When I said I was incapible of putting holes in things I was thinking of drilling or punching.

I DO have a wood burner that I bought years and years ago when I was trying out other crafts. I think you can use it as a soldering iron as well. Just the tip gets hot.

Can I use that to melt holes in say large tuppa ware /rubbermaid containers?
Or should I not even try it?

I'd like to try to get a container without the sloping sides of the KK.

- Sharon
you can but tupperware I'm assuming still is expensive...besides i think the KK works the best!!! less hassle

LadySharon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was thinking along the lines of plastic showbox type rubbermade containers.

I went on that container store site..... found there is actually one in colorado (way south) but... a small beanie baby container is 10 bucks. I think that's high. <shrug> I'm sure I could get the same size container for half that at walmart. and I know I payed 3 bucks each for mini (something like 2x4") kk at the petstore. ...

I'm just keeping all options open.... I have a KK I can use .. just would not be able to stack in a 10 gal later when my slings are older. I'm trying to find perfect boxs if possible.

But it may not be possible to even melt holes in them. I'd like to oknow right now if that would be dangerious to even attempt.

- Sharon

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
But it may not be possible to even melt holes in them. I'd like to oknow right now if that would be dangerious to even attempt.

- Sharon
You should be fine as long as you do it in a place that has very good ventilation. Also, I wouldn't spend long periods of time melting holes.

LadySharon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Update. I went to the store wed night. Discovered the spider JUST molted.
(so now is larger.. about 3" ... rough guess had nothing to mesure)

So I asked about putting a down payment on it - how docile this particular spider was etc.

The manager of the store opened the cage up and nudged the spider out of the hideing space. He didn't hear me say it had molted - there was stuff going on in the background... and didn't relize it until he moved the spider. I think orginaly he was going to take it out completly to show me then saw the molt. Anyway .... he took the opertunity to open the molt for a sexing and he said the spider is female... now *I* could see a visable flap on the molt (oh and before anyone asks... NO I do not have it... didn't think about takeing with) so he might be right... but you never know. :) and I don't care about the gender much anyway... just thought I'd mention it.

Question though... right now all I use for my 1" spiders is a tweezer. I use it to put crix in the cage, take out stuff I don't want in the cages and GENTLY nudge the spiders if needed. (note I DO NOT tweeze the spiders... don't want anyone to think that... though a few times the rosehairs have just climbed on.)

Anyway... should I use something larger for cage maint and ... to deal with the spider (the 3" one I'm getting) itself? I don't really want to directly handle. (yet) I've also seen paintbrushes mentioned here for getting spiders to go where you want - any particular size? style?

Thanks again.

- Sharon

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If I were you, I'd put a deposit down RIGHT AWAY, that's a good deal for a female. Pulchra's are generally EXTREMELY DOCILE, but of course there are exceptions to every rule, you will have to get to know your own spider. I wouldn't worry so much about how you are going to move it along. A paint brush is fine, a long handled one is best, just make sure it is very clean, don't confuse it for something that has been dipped in turpentine. You can also use a ruler or even a spoon, just as long as you are gentle. I use my hands, and for a pulchra, I think you are pretty safe doing the same, but every one has their own comfort level. Pulchras are really nice, they tend to bulldoze their enclosures, decorate and redecorate, eat with gusto and what is prettier than soft black velvet? Good luck!

eight leg goth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
if i were you id put a deposit down right away but then again i live in england amd getting pulchras over here is virtually impossible.:wall:

LadySharon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:lol ok when I said I was giong to ask about a deposit I meant I WAS going to put one down if they would let me.

Sorry. I put 30 down... She's 89 which translates to 90.

I'm going to pay the rest after I get paid at the end of the month. :) I also have a 10% off coupon which will nicely take care of tax and a tad more. (tax is about 8%)

I now have a container... a sealite that is supposed to be for cds with a snap top.

its about 6.25 x 6.25 by a little under 6" high. I'm going to fill half of it with peat moss leaving basicatly a leg span of room to the top for the spider.

I think it is a little small if the spider is 3" instead of 2.5". but I have a larger (and a bit more expensive) container in mind that I will pick up in a few months.

I ended up useing my wood burner to melt holes.... acctuallly very easy.

So now I have a ring of about 1/4" holes around the top.... which are about the size of the holes in the container the spider is in now at the store. Except mind are on the side near the top and not on the top/lid itself.

I hope that works...

- Sharon

Sarah.S

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That should be fine if I saw a deal like that I would have jumped on it as well you got a great deal there.

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
that container should be good. The question about getting, Pulchras are relatively rare, but i would recommend getting from a breeder, pet stores are notorious for having subpar animals for sale.
And the pet stores who buy from breeders???

LadySharon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
btw the mang. said most of the spiders they currently have (I think excluding the babies which most likely were local bred... I didn't ask) are from a Kelly swift.

I searched for him on this site and found quite a few positive revews.

Got paid today... hope to finish paying for the spider tommorow

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I didn't get mine from Kelly, but I have a felling our pulchra's are most likely related ;)