Freebies Dilemma

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was wondering if anyone knows how often Swift's changes their freebie selections? I need to know if i should order the T i want now or if i should wait till spring because I want to get a freebie with it that i'm actually going to love and enjoy. There's a L. parahybana that looks interesting but i dont know much about it, or whether i should jump for that freebie T or wait for a better selection.

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My limited experience has been that the larger breeders have a variety of slings around at any given time. Why don't you just e-mail him, explain that the current freebie isn't "doing it for you", and see what other choices he may offer. The worst he can do is say no..

Good luck with it.
Scott

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Or you could just be thankful that you are being offered a freebie at all and pick from what is there. Not all dealers offer a freebie like swifty does, but most often when I look at his site it is always pretty much the same species. They are species that he can afford to give away, I don't think it will change much.
In my opinion asking him for a different freebie would be rude.

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Best Freebie

I didn't mean any offense to swift (i love his website and go to almost every day). I was just hoping that his freebie selections changed from season to season when theres different thing available. However, since we're talking about the freebie, which one would everyone else go for if they had a choice (note: i took out the two largest species and one i already own)

PLEASE LIST FAVORITES IN ORDER 1 TO 5
1/4" Bolivian Salmon (A. chacoana)
1/4" Mexican Redrump (B. vagans)
1/4" Brazilian Black and White (N. coloratovillosus)
1/4" Honduran Curlyhair (B. albopilosum)
1/4" Brazilian Red and White (N. chromatus)

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
In my opinion asking him for a different freebie would be rude.
Seriously. It's a GIFT, dude, he doesn't owe you anything. He puts species on the freebie list because he has enough of a surplus that he CAN, as he can afford it. If it's not on the freebie list, you're basically asking him to give up money because you're picky. Not cool.

The freebie list changes at random, whenever availability lets him do so.

L. parahybana is a perfectly good T, grows fast, is almost always visible once past the initial "oh god I'm tiny must hide in a hole" stage, grows huge, and I think they're rather pretty. Sturdy and easy to care for.

EDIT: Yick, I wouldn't take a Brachy at that size. It'd be ages before it got bigger than a quarter.

EDIT2: Wow, I'm tired, didn't realize how aggravated I got in this post--and mostly because of the first reply rather than the OP.

Last edited:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
EDIT: Yick, I wouldn't take a Brachy at that size. It'd be ages before it got bigger than a quarter.

Not all brachys, the Brachypelma vagans and Brachypelma albopilosum, that I had awhile back, both went from .5" to 3" in around 9 months.

stk5m

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I ordered a suntigeer from swift about three weeks ago and got an A avic sling. so i guess sometimes he gives you a different spider.

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It's a business transaction, not Sunday high tea {D

Swifts may be more than happy to provide you some more choices if it means a good sale for him. Requesting the best deal for your hard earned cash is not rude, it's negotiation...

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Not all brachys, the Brachypelma vagans and Brachypelma albopilosum, that I had awhile back, both went from .5" to 3" in around 9 months.
Really? Sweet. I always thought vagans were pretty, maybe I'll put them on my wishlist. :D

ScorpDemon

ArachnoScorpion
Old Timer
Of the ones you listed, I would probably go with the A. chocoana.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Really? Sweet. I always thought vagans were pretty, maybe I'll put them on my wishlist. :D

They really are beautiful. Heres pics for proof.

9/28/2005 - purchased date

6/22/2006 - last molt before I sold it.

FYI: my screenname on here use to be Demonhunter, thats why it says copyrighted Demonhunter.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Awsome B. vagans Novak. Mines about that size and has the personality of a Banger. lol

@ mrbonzai211

Just take the freebie your given. It would be rude to ask for something else and If you push the issue at all, you may change his mind about doing it a ruin it for everyone. That would not be good on your part. Beggers can't be chooser. Just my opinion. :)

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Just take the freebie your given
I will note that he *does* let you ask for a specific freebie off the list, or at least he was very cool about me asking for a G. aureostriata because it was the only option on the freebies that I felt comfortable with as a newb (the others were a bunch of zippy or aggressive types, I don't remember what).

Novak, that's awesome. Also, EEEEE THE TINY BABY :D

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you want a specific spider, you should just buy it!

Freebies aren't something you ask for or haggle about. Swift's a nice guy, I'm sure it will be something enjoyable.

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I think the choices swifts has listed as freebies are great. I have both B. vagans and B. albopilosum and gladly paid for them. Swifts uses the freebies as an incentive to purchase from him. If you asked for something different not listed as a freebie I would imagine he would say no. I guess it would just depend on what he has available and how much money he has in them. Personally I don't know why you would ask for anything else when he is giving you some pretty good choices.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They really are beautiful. Heres pics for proof.

9/28/2005 - purchased date

6/22/2006 - last molt before I sold it.

FYI: my screenname on here use to be Demonhunter, thats why it says copyrighted Demonhunter.
like a lill popcorn jes put it in nuker, and PUFF, hehe :D

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
those are some nice freebies anyway IMO. I would personally go for the L. Parahybana but since you stated you dont want that one, then I would get the N. coloratovillosus, then again, the A. Chacoana is great also.

Meaningless End

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i would go with the N. cromatus (white stripped bird eater) for a hair kicker its one of my favorits.

Sunar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow, I can't believe some people are having cows that the OP would ask for a different freebie. There is no harm in asking if there is another 'low cost' spider he may have in stock that may be more wanted by the OP. If a seller gets pissed off at you for even asking they aren't someone i'd probably want to deal with anyhows...all they have to do is say, "no, sorry". If you plan on ordering from them anyhows it's just part of the 'customer service' involved. I can't imagine Swifty getting pissed at you for asking.

That said...i'd go with the B. vagans. I have one *which I bought as an adult though...* and she is a joy. :)

~Fred

guitarlust

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ordered from swift a few weeks ago and talked to him on the phone and i asked about the freebie whether i can choose it or not and he was more than happy to let me have my pick from the list. the freebie i chose was n. chromatus. all of my new acquisitions are so tiny. on a side note, the last count of b. albopilosum was around 600 slings.